2,831 Reviews
 (2,132)

Published 9 months ago by Luca Clark

3.0 out of 5 stars Does not absorb quick enough.
Main problem with this is that it does not absorb into the skin very quickly. This means you tend to get greasy fingerprints on everything if you want to use it on your hands. Even if you just use it on your face and touch it with your hands you find you get the same problem. I got grease on my phone and my glasses for example.
Not used it long enough to see how...
Published 26 days ago by Mike Stand

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent on stretch marks, I use other products with it for great skin care, 9 July 2014
This review is from: Bio-Oil Specialist Skincare Oil - 200 ml (Personal Care)
I lost some weight recently and was shocked to find small stretch marks on my upper arms and neck. Didn't expect that to happen, it was only a little over a stone. I was really uncomfortable, and stopped going sleeveless or short sleeves which is ridiculous. My cousin handed me a bottle of this after getting tired of my complaints, and it really helps. I put it on at night after my shower, I think warm skin helps absorb oil better. Don't look for immediate results, it takes a couple of weeks before you notice a change, after a month, I was really happy and felt ok about wearing my sleeveless tops. The stretch marks aren't gone completely, but they are only slightly noticeable and I feel like now people see the weight loss and not the marks on my arms and neck. I highly recommend it for stretch marks.

A co-worker told me that she uses this as a moisturizer, so I tried it on my face and body. It's ok, I'm not going to do a dance about how perfect my skin is, but it helped and made me think about using oil for my skin care. I found this Bel Essence - (2oz) 100% All-Natural Organic Anti-Wrinkle Formula with Argan, Grapeseed and Sesame Oil - 2oz which works really well and it's great if you like 100% all natural oil products. I then found the cream Bel Essence - Intensive All-Natural Anti-Wrinkle Treatment. Reduce the Appearance of Facial Lines and Wrinkles Naturally - 1.5oz, and I since I'm used to a cream for skin care I use this. Love the oil too, but I'm a cream person. I think the cream absorbs a little faster, so I can use the cream in the morning and at night. I use the Bio-oil on my neck and arms, and the Bel Essence on everything - arms, neck, face, hands. The Bio Oil and Bel Essence work together beautifully. In addition to my stretch marks being even less noticeable, my skin stays soft and hydrated, and when a friend of mine asked me if I had some cosmetic work done, I ran to the mirror and saw that the fine lines on my forehead, eyes, upper lip and even my neck were gone. When someone at a business meeting commented how soft my hands were after shaking hands, I was sold. I've never had so many compliments. These two products together have made such a difference in my skin, and I feel great every time I go out - I know I look my best.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great stuff!, 8 Jun. 2009
This review is from: Bio-Oil Specialist Skincare Oil - 200 ml (Personal Care)
I must say this oil is brilliant!!!! Yes, it's oily but it is oil! It smells lovley and really does the job. I have used it on a burn scar and under my eyes. I tend to use the oil every morning after washing my face and then before I go to bed - if you use a bit it soaks into your skin and gives you a fresh glow :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars It works, 30 April 2009
Bio Oil was recommended to me by a relative who had several major surgeries in a short period and was using it to minimize scarring. She was so pleased with it and found it worked really well in this area. She had also been putting it on her face and had discovered it had an effect on her skin tone. I was sceptical but as I am unwilling to buy expensive creams etc. I thought I would listen to her and give it a go.

I am 60 and menopausal and as a result my skin is beginning to thin and to line a little. The colour is also becoming rather uneven and the combination of all these was making me look ( and feel) my age. It took a few weeks of consistant use, but I have found that my skin is so much softer to the touch. The colour has evened out considerably and the lines are definitely much less obvious. I know it has worked because I cannot tell you how many compliments I am receiving on an almost dailly basis from people looking at me quizzically and then asking me what I have been doing, as I appear to be getting younger. I was approached by a perfect stranger the other day in the supermarket, who asked me what type of make up I was wearing as I had a lovely glow - I wasn't wearing any and was able to direct her to the Bio Oil shelf!

Don't give up if you don't see a difference after only a couple of weeks; the smalll amount of effort it takes to apply it a couple of times a day (e.g. before your morning routine and after cleansing in the evening) for a couple of months will pay dividends you will be delighted with. When it becomes an automatic part of your dailly routine, you can sit back and enjoy the compliments.

I bought mine originally from the high street and then a much larger size(125ml)bottle from Amazon, as it was a lot cheaper than retail. It is about £8.00 from the shops for the smallest size, but even at that it lasts for absolutely ages, as only a tiny amount is needed each time.

Do yourself a favour and buy this product. It makes no ridiculous claims of making you 10 years younger in 5 minutes, or removing all the signs of ageing in one fell swoop, but it does actually do what it says on the packaging - and more. I am delighted by the results and will continue to use it dailly.

5.0 out of 5 stars great!, 26 Jan. 2013
very good! it works! (however do not forget to rub the oil with your hands first to make the oil warm and then pat it into your skin; because if you use it directly to your skin, your skin will become very greasy and the oil will not work. )

3.0 out of 5 stars Does not absorb quick enough., 23 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Bio-Oil Specialist Skincare Oil - 200 ml (Personal Care)
Not used it long enough to see how effective it is..

5.0 out of 5 stars Unsurpassed Wound/Scar Healing., 9 May 2014
This review is from: Bio-Oil Specialist Skincare Oil - 200 ml (Personal Care)
I can't praise this oil enough. From the lovely aroma to the luxuriant feel, it's a winner, but most important of all it profoundly healed my skin.

Almost three years ago, I lost a fight with a kitchen appliance that left me with a third-degree burn on my arm. Once the dressing was removed I was shocked at the damage and convinced I'd be left with an ugly scar. A nurse suggested I use bio oil liberally and often, assuring me he'd seen it work wonders. Well I was sceptical to say the least. Even with a healthy background in complementary healing and the knowledge that oils can be very powerful, I doubted much could be done to redeem my skin.

Still I followed his advice, mostly because the burn was raw and would start to hurt quite badly when it dried out. The hot July weather didn't help. So I carried a bottle of bio oil EVERYWHERE and applied it CONSTANTLY. I did this faithfully for weeks on end.

One foolish day I had the bright idea to try a drop of pure lavender essential oil. I went through the roof. Baring in mind I couldn't wash the area, the only thing I could think to do was douse it in bio oil. It diluted the lavender and gently calmed the skin. Never again would I veer from my healing protocol. Within weeks my skin fully recovered and by Autumn I no longer used the oil.

It's amazing to consider that such a fateful day with the kettle could occur and there be absolutely no sign of scarring at all. The skin is smooth and blemish free, soft as baby and completely healthy. If bio oil can heal an injury of such severity, I think it can more than cope with regular skin care.

I'm in my early forties and have re-embraced my bio oil passion in caring for my face, neck and dècolletage. In 'Feel Fabulous Forever -The Anti-Ageing Health and Beauty Bible', authors Josephine Farley and Sarah Stacey suggest "that the very best way of defying crêpiness is to use neck lotions and potions not just once, not just twice, but several times daily". I'm favouring bio oil.

I also like to add a few drops to my bath water for silky soft skin and use it as a hand and cuticle softener, plus it's gorgeous as a massage oil. A little goes a long way and the Subscribe and Save offer on Amazon is unbeatable. It's worth a tenner to see if it gifts you with the miraculous results if gave me. I hope it does.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not a miracle but a great help!, 19 July 2008
This review is from: Bio-Oil Specialist Skincare Oil - 200 ml (Personal Care)
I saw it advertised on TV and thought I would give it a try, I have been using it for 6 months now.

It is not a miracle (and does not claim to be so) but it does improve the appearance of scars and stretch marks as it does claim, mine have faded slightly. However the best result surprised me. I have dermatitis, very sensitive (and prone to spots) skin and also odd spots of hyper-pigmentation. I use it on my face and it lessens the redness, clears up my dry skin and intensively moisturises the sore flaky patches more than my previous speciality product did (a vitamin E cream).

It does say on the leaflet that is leaves a protective barrier on the skin which is what the previous reviews mentioned. Put too much on and it does sit on the surface on the skin but if applied after a hot bath or shower, a couple of drops easily does the whole face and neck and massage in (instructions on how to massage face on leaflet included) it spreads even with no greasiness just a slight lubricated feel as previously mentioned.

It is my only facial moisturiser these days (bar an extra specialist cream for just on my darker pigmentation marks), takes care off the lighter marks and my skin looks much better plus I love the scent.

What suits one though does not suit another so I recommend a small bottle to start with and if you do not like it for face and body, it makes an excellent night time hand and nail treatment (with gloves if you feel it's too oily).

Top marks from me and my humble opinion and experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars works well, 20 May 2012
Su (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
My sister introduced me to Bio-Oil when she gave me a bottle at Christmas.

I always give claims on health and beauty products a healthy dose of scepticism, but I decided to try the peach coloured liquid a try. Well it could hurt to try it.

It is interesting to note that it claims to help improve the appearance of scars, stretch marks, uneven skin tone, aging and dehydrated skin. Unlike many such skin treatments it does not claim to make the scars or skin damage disappear.

Always check for an allergic reaction by applying a small amount to an area of hidden skin for a couple of days to ensure that you don't have a reaction. After all you don't want to apply it to your face and neck and end up looking like you have the lead role in the local AmDram production of the The Hunchback of Notre Dame or the Elephant Man.

I don't find the smell of the oil to be unpleasant, in fact the smell reminds me of Dove soap, but it is probably a coincidence. It recommends that you apply the oil twice a day for at least 3 months before assessing the effects.

I have found that you only need a small amount of oil as it goes a long way. You apply the oil by using a circular motion of the finger tips.

It is incredibly tempting to look at the small amount (a drop or 2) and think it'll never cover the area, but please don't use more than a spot or two at a time, the massaging will spread it. You can always add another drop of the Bio-oil if you need it, but if you dispense too much you will be left with an oily residue because the skin can only absorb a limited amount of emolument, and the excess is just being pushed about.

I have to wonder if the effect it has is due to the massage and the encouragement of blood flow, rather than the oil itself.

I will say that the oil makes your skin lovely and smooth. The dry skin on my elbows now feels silky and soft rather than dry and rough.

I also have some scars from surgeries, and these are (sorry, were) thick, solid and noticeable - the thick scar on my neck was very noticeable and I was self-conscious because of it. The scar is softer and is starting to move to my normal flesh colour rather than the deep red that it was.

I noticed that the list of ingredients on Amazon doesn't actually include all the ingredients. So for anyone who might have a specific allergy the ingredients are (as listed on the inner leaflet):

* paraffinum liquidum
* trisononanoin
* cetearyl ethylhexanoate
* isopropyl myristate
* retinyl palmitate (vitamin A)
* tocophyeryl acetate (vitamin E)
* anthemis nobilis oil (chamomile oil)
* lavendula augustifolia oil (lavender oil)
* rosmarinus officinalis oil (rosemary oil)
* calendula officinalis extract (calendula oil)
* helianthus annuus seed oil
* limonene
* linalool
* alpha-isomethyl ionone
* CI 26100

For something named "Bio-Oil" I was expecting something a little more natural, but it only claims no preservatives. I'm not a chemist so I cannot be sure of that claim.

My skin is softer and smoother, and there appears to be some improvement in the scar tissue - it does feel softer and less thick. Once again, whether this is due to the oil or to the massage or both I cannot say.

One social benefit of the oil massage is that if you can get your significant other to perform the massage it can be very nice.

If you don't have a problem with the chemical content and want something which works (regardless of whether it's the oil or the massage or both) then I can recommend Bio-Oil for your consideration.

2.0 out of 5 stars Allergic Reaction, 6 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Bio-Oil Specialist Skincare Oil - 200 ml (Personal Care)
I bought this product to rub into my tummy during pregnancy to prevent stretch marks and had no problems with any reactions when applying it to my skin, which I will admit it left feeling nice and soft although it takes a while to sink in and leaves hands quite greasy for a while after application which I guess is to be expected with an oil. I am unable to comment on the effectiveness for stretch marks as I have now stopped using this product due to an extreme allergic reaction in my eye. I had applied the oil early in the evening after a shower and it had pretty much soaked into my hands, then my eye started itching so I rubbed my eyelid whilst closed with my finger and within half an hour my eye had practically swollen shut. By the next day my entire eyelid and the skin under my eye and on my cheek bone was also extremely inflamed to the point where I couldn't open my eye which continued for a few days, I thought this was a bit worrying as this product is also recommended for the face and wanted to write this review to warn any new users of the potential dangers associated with this product. After goole-ing this bio-oil it appears this has also affected a lot of other people so if you are going to buy I would suggest keeping it well away from your eyes and washing your hands thoroughly after use. I give it 2 stars as it did leave my skin feeling nice and soft but if you are generally sensitive to beauty products I would be cautious of this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars works well, 10 May 2012
Su (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
My sister introduced me to Bio-Oil when she gave me a bottle at Christmas.

* paraffinum liquidum
* trisononanoin
* cetearyl ethylhexanoate
* isopropyl myristate
* retinyl palmitate (vitamin A)
* tocophyeryl acetate (vitamin E)
* anthemis nobilis oil (chamomile oil)
* lavendula augustifolia oil (lavender oil)
* rosmarinus officinalis oil (rosemary oil)
* calendula officinalis extract (calendula oil)
* helianthus annuus seed oil