2,106 Reviews

Published on 30 April 2009 by Jean Anderson

1.0 out of 5 stars Warning for all pregnant women
Published 12 days ago by Thiane Gama

5.0 out of 5 stars It works, 30 April 2009
Bio Oil was recommended to me by a relative who had several major surgeries in a short period and was using it to minimize scarring. She was so pleased with it and found it worked really well in this area. She had also been putting it on her face and had discovered it had an effect on her skin tone. I was sceptical but as I am unwilling to buy expensive creams etc. I thought I would listen to her and give it a go.

I am 60 and menopausal and as a result my skin is beginning to thin and to line a little. The colour is also becoming rather uneven and the combination of all these was making me look ( and feel) my age. It took a few weeks of consistant use, but I have found that my skin is so much softer to the touch. The colour has evened out considerably and the lines are definitely much less obvious. I know it has worked because I cannot tell you how many compliments I am receiving on an almost dailly basis from people looking at me quizzically and then asking me what I have been doing, as I appear to be getting younger. I was approached by a perfect stranger the other day in the supermarket, who asked me what type of make up I was wearing as I had a lovely glow - I wasn't wearing any and was able to direct her to the Bio Oil shelf!

Don't give up if you don't see a difference after only a couple of weeks; the smalll amount of effort it takes to apply it a couple of times a day (e.g. before your morning routine and after cleansing in the evening) for a couple of months will pay dividends you will be delighted with. When it becomes an automatic part of your dailly routine, you can sit back and enjoy the compliments.

I bought mine originally from the high street and then a much larger size(125ml)bottle from Amazon, as it was a lot cheaper than retail. It is about 8.00 from the shops for the smallest size, but even at that it lasts for absolutely ages, as only a tiny amount is needed each time.

Do yourself a favour and buy this product. It makes no ridiculous claims of making you 10 years younger in 5 minutes, or removing all the signs of ageing in one fell swoop, but it does actually do what it says on the packaging - and more. I am delighted by the results and will continue to use it dailly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bio oil, 27 Nov 2013
This review is from: Bio-Oil Specialist Skincare Oil - 200 ml (Personal Care)
I bought this to help with scarring on my leg. It has really helped, and I've only been using it 3 weeks. Also been using it on my face at night to help with my wrinkles. However that would require a miracle

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing oil, 19 Aug 2012
Old Outlaw (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Bio-Oil Specialist Skincare Oil - 200 ml (Personal Care)
I have used this on stretch marks and cannot beIive the difference.
Looking better after every application,
Do not have any doubts about buying this it's amazing
only slight negative is it remains greasy for a while afterwards.
And at this price it's a bargain.

1.0 out of 5 stars Warning for all pregnant women, 19 July 2014
This review is from: Bio-Oil Specialist Skincare Oil - 200 ml (Personal Care)
If you are looking for a product to prevent stretch marks during pregnancy DO NOT buy bio-oil as one of the ingredients in the formula VITAMIN A ( also known as retinol) is well-known in the medical community to cause birth defect or malformation of the fetus. And it is recommend by specialist to NOT be used during pregnancy. So, it is outrageous that bio-oil is marketing this product for pregnant women. If you don't believe me please do a quick search on google to find out!

1.0 out of 5 stars Severe reaction, 1 May 2013
This review is from: Bio-Oil Specialist Skincare Oil - 200 ml (Personal Care)
I had a severe reaction to using bio oil on my face. Ended up in the doctors with an intensely swollen face and eyes, which took a week to subside properly. Be very wary!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good blemish remover, 14 Feb 2012
SRK (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bio-Oil Specialist Skincare Oil - 200 ml (Personal Care)
Good blemish remover, but don't find it moisturises enough for me although this could be my very dry skin. Use Aqueaous cream to moisturise and Bio Oil for blemishes etc.

1.0 out of 5 stars disappointment!!, 18 Dec 2013
This review is from: Bio-Oil Specialist Skincare Oil - 200 ml (Personal Care)
I used bio oil on my first pregnancy together with cocobutter, it was wonderful no stretch marks through the whole pregnancy.
But on my second one I decided to use only the oil as I had faith on it, what a mistake!!
Dont waist ur money if u buying to avoid stretch marks, its good for your skin like face etc, but not to avoid the horrible stretch marks!!

5.0 out of 5 stars works well, 10 May 2012
Su (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
My sister introduced me to Bio-Oil when she gave me a bottle at Christmas.

I always give claims on health and beauty products a healthy dose of scepticism, but I decided to try the peach coloured liquid a try. Well it could hurt to try it.

It is interesting to note that it claims to help improve the appearance of scars, stretch marks, uneven skin tone, aging and dehydrated skin. Unlike many such skin treatments it does not claim to make the scars or skin damage disappear.

Always check for an allergic reaction by applying a small amount to an area of hidden skin for a couple of days to ensure that you don't have a reaction. After all you don't want to apply it to your face and neck and end up looking like you have the lead role in the local AmDram production of the The Hunchback of Notre Dame or the Elephant Man.

I don't find the smell of the oil to be unpleasant, in fact the smell reminds me of Dove soap, but it is probably a coincidence. It recommends that you apply the oil twice a day for at least 3 months before assessing the effects.

I have found that you only need a small amount of oil as it goes a long way. You apply the oil by using a circular motion of the finger tips.

It is incredibly tempting to look at the small amount (a drop or 2) and think it'll never cover the area, but please don't use more than a spot or two at a time, the massaging will spread it. You can always add another drop of the Bio-oil if you need it, but if you dispense too much you will be left with an oily residue because the skin can only absorb a limited amount of emolument, and the excess is just being pushed about.

I have to wonder if the effect it has is due to the massage and the encouragement of blood flow, rather than the oil itself.

I will say that the oil makes your skin lovely and smooth. The dry skin on my elbows now feels silky and soft rather than dry and rough.

I also have some scars from surgeries, and these are (sorry, were) thick, solid and noticeable - the thick scar on my neck was very noticeable and I was self-conscious because of it. The scar is softer and is starting to move to my normal flesh colour rather than the deep red that it was.

I noticed that the list of ingredients on Amazon doesn't actually include all the ingredients. So for anyone who might have a specific allergy the ingredients are (as listed on the inner leaflet):

* paraffinum liquidum
* trisononanoin
* cetearyl ethylhexanoate
* isopropyl myristate
* retinyl palmitate (vitamin A)
* tocophyeryl acetate (vitamin E)
* anthemis nobilis oil (chamomile oil)
* lavendula augustifolia oil (lavender oil)
* rosmarinus officinalis oil (rosemary oil)
* calendula officinalis extract (calendula oil)
* helianthus annuus seed oil
* glycine soja oil
* limonene
* linalool
* alpha-isomethyl ionone
* CI 26100

For something named "Bio-Oil" I was expecting something a little more natural, but it only claims no preservatives. I'm not a chemist so I cannot be sure of that claim.

My skin is softer and smoother, and there appears to be some improvement in the scar tissue - it does feel softer and less thick. Once again, whether this is due to the oil or to the massage or both I cannot say.

One social benefit of the oil massage is that if you can get your significant other to perform the massage it can be very nice.

If you don't have a problem with the chemical content and want something which works (regardless of whether it's the oil or the massage or both) then I can recommend Bio-Oil for your consideration.

5.0 out of 5 stars great!, 26 Jan 2013
very good! it works! (however do not forget to rub the oil with your hands first to make the oil warm and then pat it into your skin; because if you use it directly to your skin, your skin will become very greasy and the oil will not work. )

5.0 out of 5 stars Not a miracle but a great help!, 19 July 2008
This review is from: Bio-Oil Specialist Skincare Oil - 200 ml (Personal Care)
I saw it advertised on TV and thought I would give it a try, I have been using it for 6 months now.

It is not a miracle (and does not claim to be so) but it does improve the appearance of scars and stretch marks as it does claim, mine have faded slightly. However the best result surprised me. I have dermatitis, very sensitive (and prone to spots) skin and also odd spots of hyper-pigmentation. I use it on my face and it lessens the redness, clears up my dry skin and intensively moisturises the sore flaky patches more than my previous speciality product did (a vitamin E cream).

It does say on the leaflet that is leaves a protective barrier on the skin which is what the previous reviews mentioned. Put too much on and it does sit on the surface on the skin but if applied after a hot bath or shower, a couple of drops easily does the whole face and neck and massage in (instructions on how to massage face on leaflet included) it spreads even with no greasiness just a slight lubricated feel as previously mentioned.

It is my only facial moisturiser these days (bar an extra specialist cream for just on my darker pigmentation marks), takes care off the lighter marks and my skin looks much better plus I love the scent.

What suits one though does not suit another so I recommend a small bottle to start with and if you do not like it for face and body, it makes an excellent night time hand and nail treatment (with gloves if you feel it's too oily).

Top marks from me and my humble opinion and experience.

Bio-Oil Specialist Skincare Oil - 200 ml