5.0 out of 5 stars A good enough reason to buy a PS2.
Published on 12 July 2008 by Dante the Igniscient

3.0 out of 5 stars Kratos is back!
The sequel to God OF War is another bloodbath of relentless slaying. Fans of the first game will love this.

Published on 16 Oct. 2009 by Duncan McDonald

5.0 out of 5 stars A good enough reason to buy a PS2., 12 July 2008
Dante the Igniscient "ashend10" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: God of War 2 (PS2) (Video Game)
The flaws of the first game have gone and now SCEA have created a game that pushes the power of the PS2 to the limit. The graphics are probably the best on the console, the gameplay is close to perfection and the soundtrack is so good it was released on CD. More than anything GOW II is a fantasy action game. That means lots of bloody combat and violence set within a perfectly realised world of greek mythology. There are puzzles but they are simplistic and are mostly a means to get from one stage to another.

The locations and environments in the game are beautifully realised. From the Temple of Eurayle to the Temple of the Fates the game never ceases to be visually stunning. Of particular note is the Island of Creation and the Steads of Time which are chain-linked to the island. The multi-coloured skylines are also beautifully drawn. The monsters are brilliantly drawn and animated. Minotaurs, Gorgons and Cyclops all return from the first game. All of them can be dispatched with a context-sensitive attack (the player must follow on-screen prompts). Kratos forces his chained blades into the mouth of the Minotaur, tears the head off the Gorgon or rips the eye of the Cyclops from its socket. But where the game really shines is in its boss battles. The battles against the Colossus of Rhodes and the Kraken are unforgettable and the confrontation with the Sisters of Fate and the final battle with Zeus are epic struggles. Kratos gets to ride the winged horse Pegasus in a couple of on-the-rails sections where he must fight marauding Griffons. The context-sensitive attack involves Kratos jumping onto the back of the Griffon, cutting its wings off, throwing the body away and then jumping back onto Pegasus. Kratos has some new toys to play with such as the Barbarian Hammer which has a soul-summon special attack and the Golden Fleece which can reflect or repel attacks. This is particularly useful against the very dangerous Gorgon Stare.

The game includes several short hi-res movies. Of particular note is where the Titan Cronos approaches his wife Rhea to devour another one of their children. The sense of scale and attention to detail is truly stunning and reflects the amount of effort that went into making this title. The only really tricky part of the game is the final context-sensitive attack of the game where Kratos "kills" the mortal form of Zeus. Titan Mode will give even the most hard-core gamer a challenge but playing it again with infinite magic and the Blade of Olympus is great fun. If this is what SCEA can do with the PS2 what can they do with the PS3? I can't wait.

5.0 out of 5 stars Justice, 8 Oct. 2010
This review is from: God of War 2 (PS2) (Video Game)
I've been playing games since I was around 6, I was obsessed with a platformer called Banjo-Kazooie, I still love it today, but for years I haven't touched a platformer, so I bought this game pretty much out of all the incredible reception and hype it had gotten, and I faintly remember playing the first game, but watching my brother play it more.

So, since the price was so low, I decided to purchase it and give it a go.

I got curious, so I decided to search for some videos of gameplay on youtube, and it didn't look amazing or worth my time, but I'll get back to that in a little bit..

I received it a few days ago, popped it in and started to destroy some warriors with Kratos' good ol' trademark fiery-whips of death. It seems like it just got better and better, even though you lose your awesome god-powers at the beginning of the game, it somehow gets better, I'm not sure how but it does! So right now I'm loving it more than I did this morning, and it's only going to get better.

Another thing, this game IS pretty old, the graphics aren't amazing or next-gen, and I'm really fidgety with my graphics, especially since I watched the Kratos vs Cronos fight in God Of War 3 on the PS3, that was amazing, and it makes me wish that God Of War 2 looked that good.

But, really, I don't mind! I can actually get past it, just like I can with Prince of Persia.

In short, videos and pictures do not justify it, and it isn't a generic platformer, it feels rewarding, has many secrets you'll spend 10-20 minutes trying to reach, fun puzzles and exciting upgrades, the boss fights are incredibly unique too, if you're an idiot like me you'll try to charge in only to be killed again and again before figuring out what you actually have to do to defeat a boss.

Overall I highly recommend it for any PS2 owner, and I give it a final score of 9/10.

5.0 out of 5 stars absolutely outstanding, 13 July 2009
Mr. N. Wildman "nickwildman2" (Beds, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: God of War 2 (PS2) (Video Game)
I had heard a lot about the God of War games before I bought this but had never gotten round to buying them. What actually made me buy this was reading a preview for the upcoming God of War 3 on the PS3. I know I will end up buying this so I thought I should play the first 2 as well.
I will admit to being a bit of a PS3 snob, I rarely buy PS2 games now but I am very glad I made an exception for this! Especially by PS2 standards, the graphics are outstanding. In a lot of cases the background views are not far off PS3 quality and the cutscenes are outstanding. I was incredibly impressesd with what a joy this game is to look at!
The gameplay is certainly nothing novel i.e. run around solving not very difficult puzzles and beating the snot out of any enemy you come across. That being said, the ways in which you can go about beating said snot out of people are so diverse that you will never get bored of this! With a mixture of grabs, melee attacks and various forms of magic there is a lot of fun to be had.
While all of these factors make the game incredibly fun to play, the main attraction for me is the story and characters. As a big fan of greek mythology myself, finding a game where you can fight through amazing and reminiscent landscapes encountering legendary creatures like the cyclops, cerberus and harpies is a real joy. I haven;'t finished the game yet but I have already encountered all the above and look forward to seeing what other creatures the game will throw at me!
I ordered both God of War 1 and 2 at the same time and God of War 2 arrived first (the 1st one may be there when I get home tonight) so I haven't played the first one yet. I am not expecting the first one to be as good as the second game in a series is usually better than the first (devil may cry being the exception). That seems to be my way when playing older series, play them backwards! Anyway, based on GOW2, even if GOW1 is not as good, it will still be stunning.
Buy this now if you have any interest in greek mythology and enjoy beating up bad guys!

3.0 out of 5 stars Kratos is back!, 16 Oct. 2009
Duncan McDonald "Dunk" (Dundee) - See all my reviews
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: God of War 2 (PS2) (Video Game)

Essentially a hack 'n' slash the game is populated with quick time events which really test your reflexes and button bashing prowess with chunks of climbing, leaping and other death defying acts. The graphics are stunning, the best you'll get on the PS2 and the detail is excellent. The music fits perfectly and actually adds to the atmosphere of the game.

It terms of play, this sequel is identical to GOW and carries on where the first game left off. After beating Ares and being crowned God of War, you get kicked off your throne and now you are after Zeus to kick his butt. The action is fast paced and exciting throughout. There are quite a few cut scenes and the game has a cinematic feel to it.

It does however carry over the same flaws. There are checkpoints but you can only save at intervals and the savepoints are spaced far apart. Some of the puzzles are fiendish and require a bit of lateral thinking. The game doesn't have objectives so you need to work out where to go/what to do next. This is where the game dips into the realms of tedium and boredom. It is in fact very repetative. You can easily get stuck on a puzzle for a while and if you don't get to the save point, you'll have to replay chunks of the game again.

Overall, a masterpiece of gaming let down by periods of frustration.

5.0 out of 5 stars God of Excellence!, 25 July 2009
This review is from: God of War 2 (PS2) (Video Game)
I loved this game too much. It's presentation from graphics to dialogue is some of the best I've seen from PS2. The action is fast paced, but paced well. The controls are perfect (for once). No loading times, none at all!

You get to fight gods and feel total immersion and awesomeness and lived up to my expectations. I loved it and can't wait to play GOW 3.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome., 24 Jun. 2011
This review is from: God of War 2 (PS2) (Video Game)
This is my absolute favorite game I have EVER played in my life. Blood, Boobs and Beasts. Like the first game, it has a fantastic story line and never gets boring. Ignore any reviews lower than 5 stars, this game NEEDS puzzles to prevent boredom. It makes it more challenging, makes you feel like you've earned that great mighty hammer or that powerful upgrade. Kill something, get points, spend points, become more powerful than ever. A massive range of weapons makes it even better and this is the game with the legendary "F*ck You" Button. Weaken an enemy and simply press circle to obliterate it in its own unique way. And one crucial part of this game being my favorite... You can start a new game once completed, and keep all of your powers/weapons. Buy this Game.

5.0 out of 5 stars .This is what PS2 was made for, 4 Mar. 2010
This review is from: God of War 2 (PS2) (Video Game)
This is probably the best action game created for PS2 ever. There is nothing like it in terms of action or scale. The graphics are great, the action is brutal, the combat flows like a stream and there are some of the best set pieces I have ever seen on any format, including the next gen consoles. An absolute epic, based around ancient Greek mythology.
If you love action games, you will definitely love this.
if you have a PS2 you should buy this immediately if not sooner.

5.0 out of 5 stars god of gore 2, 15 Aug. 2008
This review is from: God of War 2 (PS2) (Video Game)
this game like the first is a master piece it has so much gore and still requires some stratergy and skill. it is a little harder then the first and i have now got stuck and i cant be arsed to try again. this game provides so much enjoyment and can keep you occupied for hours on end. this game is a must buy and i would say it could equal to the supperior god of war... Tom

5.0 out of 5 stars The manliest game for the most manly of men, 17 July 2014
This review is from: God of War 2 (PS2) (Video Game)
If you had a choice of either:
- Kratos hunting you and all heroes of Marvel & DC combined protecting you
or
- all of Marvel & DC heroes combined hunting you and Kratos protecting you
I would choose the latter as this game is badass and so is the famed anti hero protagonist that will release the inner man in you as you play (sorry girls).

4.0 out of 5 stars Superb sequel to the first game, 6 July 2009
khisanth "khisanth75" (Hampshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: God of War 2 (PS2) (Video Game)
GOW 2 is a fantastic follow up to GOW. The graphics are improved slightly, so still look fantastic. The gameplay is essentially the same, but the moves are different and there are loads of new weapons and upgrades. The story is good and the game world is excellent. Starts of strongly fighting the Collosssus!

Well worth picking up.

God of War 2 (PS2)
God of War 2 (PS2) by Sony (PlayStation2)