5.0 out of 5 stars Just the job
Published on 1 Jan. 2012 by bendiwill

3.0 out of 5 stars Works, but not the Easiest and use with Care
I bought this item because I knew there were a couple of watches changing hands as presents over Christmas and I thought it would be nice to be able to adjust them there and then. The unit did come with instructions, but these were basic and of no real use. So, how did I get on?

Published on 8 Jan. 2010 by Brett H

3.0 out of 5 stars Works, but not the Easiest and use with Care, 8 Jan. 2010
Brett H "pentangle" (Brighton) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Pin Extractor/Remover Tool/Gadget for metal band watches (Watch)

At the first attempt I bent the pin remover - so lesson one is probe very gently to get the pin out. When you have it lined up correctly I found it slips out very easily so if you are meeting resistance you have not got it lined up correctly - keep trying until you do and do not try to force it out. I was lucky enough to be able to straighten out the pin remover without breaking it. Incidentally the instructions refer to a replacement for this part so if this happens to you and the pin remover bit breaks, its worth getting on to the seller and enquiring.

I successfully adjusted two watches but I would not describe it as an easy process and each took 10-15 minutes of fiddling around to get the watch lined up correctly in the tool. There is a strange mechanism which moves the bed which the watch sits on backwards and forwards. I am not sure of the use for this. If you were able to move this bed up and down to line up the pin it would actually be useful.

On point which sounds rather obvious, but is not so clear in practice, is make sure you are pushing the pin from the right end. The end to be pushed is usually indented a little into the band whilst the other end stands out more proud to the band and often has a cross thread on it.

You need something to put the pin back in. I think jewellers use a tiny hammer. Do not go and get the hammer from the toolbox though! I found hammering down gently with the wooden handle of a kitchen knife worked very well with no danger of damaging the watch or alternatively just pressing down with something wooden or plastic should do the trick.

So to summarise, yes it does work if used carefully. However, its a fiddly process so do not bother unless you have the patience to mess around with it. I do feel that a bit more thought could have produced a much more user friendly tool.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just the job, 1 Jan. 2012
I don't understand all the reviews slating this tool as rubbish I received mine yesterday ,which I have to say was a lot quicker than I expected given the time of year.anyway this tool does exactly what it was made for I can only think the people who slated it did not take their time and position the watch bracelet the right way around or square onto the pin,I myself did three watches within about 15 mins and these were both of stainless steel and plastic links and all have been altered perfectly.so anyone wishing to purchase this go right ahead,just double check the direction of the pins before trying to remove them.great tool!!

5.0 out of 5 stars An extremely useful little gadget..................., 25 Aug. 2012
IOWBOY - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I bought this watch strap pin extractor to supplement the watch kit i had previously purchased, Rolson Tools 59230 4 Piece Watch Care Kit.

I ordered it from 'Watches2U' and the delivery was fulfilled by 'Amazon', the items RRP was shown as being £19.95 which I find very hard to believe; but the price it was being sold at was £3.89, and this offers excellent value.

The tool itself has a 'bed' section of 50 x 50mm and the handle is 45mm long with a diameter of 20mm; the main body and handle are made out of a lightweight, but suitably strong, plastic with just a few pieces made from metal, these being the pin extractor tool bit and the dial that alters the 'adjustable' section of the bed.

The instructions that come with the tool are at best basic, they do give you just enough information to get started, but the best way to learn is with practice and patience. I would definitely recommend using an old, and if necessary disposable, watch to practice with; however, I would say that from my experience so far all you need to do is be gentle.

Other reviewers on here have suggested that the metal pin extractor tool bit is too soft or of poor construction, I have not found this to be the case; I would say that if you don't use this tool properly and use undue force then it will most likely break, but then again isn't that the case with most tools?!

To put it simply the way in which you use this tool is as follows:

1. You unscrew the handle so that the tool bit leaves enough room for the watch strap to placed on the tool bed.

2. You must make sure that the pin you want to remove is correctly aligned to the tool bit. There are a few important things to be aware of here; firstly look for any markings on the underside of the strap, it is quite common for there to be arrows or some other indication that lets you know which direction the pin should be pushed

3. Secondly the pin itself should look slightly different form each side, one side tends to be split and the other with a slight indentation, this is the side you need to align with the tool bit

4. Finally you must make sure that the tool bit is perfectly aligned with the pin, not just horizontally but also vertically, if this is not done and too much pressure is applied then the tool bit will most likely be damaged or even broken (as some reviewers on here have found out).

To replace a pin the procedure is basically reversed; it can be tricky, and I must reiterate that patience and care are critical, but trust me, it is worth it!

With reference to the aforementioned 'adjustable' section of the bed, I must admit that this baffled me! The perfunctory instructions simply say that it is used to "adjust the height of the pin", I could see no difference whatsoever, but this didn't actually matter anyway!

I contacted my local jewellers for a quote to change a link on my watch, I was given the price of £8.00, so when you consider the price that this tool is being sold for it is a bargain!

A recommended purchase, and although it may only be used very occasionally, it will still pay for itself after its first use.

3.0 out of 5 stars works by other means, 29 Jun. 2011
I must agree with other reviews. Its not a great device to use. The removal tool pin will easily bend. The easiest way to use it was to unscrew the tool pin & place the strap in the upright slot & just use hand pressure to push out the strap pin. To put the strap pin back in simply do the same but use a hammer to tap the tool pin into the strap pin.
The instructions actualy tell you to use the upright hold & unscrew the tool pin & use in the way I described.
Its a handy tool to have & cost about the same price if not cheaper than having a watch shop adjust the strap for you.

4.0 out of 5 stars It works !, 25 May 2012
I've just ordered, and received, a Seiko watch and knew I would need to remove a link or 3 from the bracelet when it arrived. It's not convenient for me to get to a watch repairer so having seen these gadgets and checked out some YouTube instructional videos I took the plunge (I am not handy at all) and ordered one. In short it worked.

What the enclosed instructions (brief in the extreme) don't tell you is that you have to look at the back of the bracelet to see the directional arrows which indicate in which direction the pins should be pushed out.

I began working on an old watch strap I wasn't bothered about, and quickly removed a link and closed the strap. Confidence fired up I adjusted my new watch - EASY.

My other comment is that the bed which you raise or lower the watch in order to line the pin extractor mechanism precisely doesn't adjust enough (for me at least). I quickly solved this by cutting up a handy beer mat and laying a piece on top of the bed. This raised it sufficiently for accuracy.

As I said I am not at all 'handy', but to illustrate how simple it is, I adjusted my watch strap last night, this morning I thought it still a little lose and quickly removed another link - whole process about 2 minutes flat.

Now my watch is adjusted perfectly of course this gadget is redundant. Anyone want a strap adjusted £1 a time ?!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little gem!!!, 9 Aug. 2011
I don't normally write reviews but this time i'm making an exception!

This simple idea is the best thing I have ever bought...... As someone who loves to buy watches I was finding I always had to get links taken out and at £10 a go it was getting a tad bit dear!! After careful consideration I decided to buy a tool to do the job myself but I was worried about scratching the links,there are so many tools I didn't know which was going to be the best to do the job quickly, efficiently and easily.

I came across this little gem and have not looked back, it is such basic premise but it does the job and with no mess or any fiddling.

Excellent idea, well done!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Works OK, 19 Feb. 2012
It does the job and its cheap but it could be better.
The 'pusher' pin wobbles about rather a lot making precise control difficult.
Also the pitch of the thread on the rotating knob is rather coarse - again making precise control difficult.

3.0 out of 5 stars Review, 14 Dec. 2011
Not quite up to the job. I think this extractor would be ideal for the few bracelets I have adjusted in the past for friends and family, using a small jewelers screwdriver or paper clip. But it would not shift the pins on the new watch I have just bought. The watch cost £6.99 from Lidl and it looks like I am going to have to pay more than that to have the strap adjusted, or buy a new strap that the extractor will work on.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works!, 3 Mar. 2012
Needed to adjust 3 watch bracelets, and so after reading the reviews and watching "youtube", ordered this. Heeded the advice of the previous reviewer that one had to be "gentle and not use too much force", was able to change the bracelets taking about 15 mins each.

2.0 out of 5 stars Did not work for me, 26 Oct. 2012
I bought this tool to change the link size of my Tag watch as I wanted to experiment with different band sizes to see which one would feel most comfortable over extended period.

The tool feels quite flimsy as other reviewers have noted but not to the point where it would break.

The main problem, in my opinion, is that the pin extractor is not long enough to actually get the pin out of the chain. As a result, you have to use pliers to fully extract the pin risking damage to band. In the end, I decided to not risk it and had a watch repair service fix the band length.

Overall, disappointing product for me.