on 25 October 2012
I bought this because my new computer does not have a dial-up modem. There were no instructions whatsoever and no manufacturer's name. My Windows 7 Home Premium Edition loaded a driver automatically but when trying to connect had a message saying 'hardware failure' with an error code being given. I tried extensively to get it to work with help from the Internet but with no success. I had to admit defeat and so it was returned. The only good thing about this order was the excellent return service from Amazon. A full refund was received.
on 23 June 2010
I purchased this external modem so I could use dial up in France (broadband is still a dream there for a lot of people) & my new laptop had no internal modem. All I had to do was to buy a cable to plug into a French socket.
Within a few minutes, I was online. No software to download (my laptop has Vista). My laptop recognised the hardware straight away. A very useful piece of kit.
on 25 July 2011
Bought to give me access to email over a period when broadband was not available to me, it did exactly what it says on the pack. Easily installed and effective in so far as 56k can be on an Internet that now kinda assumes you have a minimum 2Mb comnection. It's now very hard to imagine that this was once top speed!
on 9 June 2013
I had this working fine until I had to rebuild my PC. After rebuild, nothing I did could get the hardware and Software (Windows 7 Fax & Scan) to recognise one another. Other people tried for me but could not get the set-up configured. The Software started and displayed all the correct settings/cover pages/address Books and the PC said the Hardware was functioning. I could not force the installation of the drivers from the disc (as I did originally)
on 31 January 2010
I use my computers for faxing a lot (prescription requests and the medical supply company which send me my iv fluids etc) and, recently when my desktop failed, I needed to fax from my netbook. That had no in-built modem and I didn't want to spend a lot. This seemed cheap enough and came with fax software too. I wasn't expecting much at this price, but what I got instead was a thoroughly reliable fax modem with software, whilst simple, works well. It is called 'Max Value' and, to my surprise, that's exactly what it is! In fact, I was so pleased with it that I bought one for my daughter for Christmas as well as she needed a modem for her netbook. So, if you need a USB fax modem, I'd recommend buying this one!
on 3 May 2010
This devise seems to work although I am no computer expert!

Hopefully it will enable me to keep my freeserve account active.
on 15 October 2011
This USB modem is not Mac-compatible and I had to return it. I wish the description stated this fact more obviously.
on 15 January 2014
If like me you are having to rely on reviews to understand this products features please bear in mind whilst Windows 7 64 bit Windows Update WILL locate device drivers Windows 7 does not support voice calling and all 3rd party software I could locate were incompatible. Poor rating reflects Amazons inadequate description. For dial up and fax or voice on older operating systems this may be perfect, but if you bought a computer within the last few years and don't want to pay extra for VOIP to use your PC headset to make calls please save your time... Microsoft have decided this is obsolete. Frustration could easily be avoided with full product spec, I have to say a common gripe I have with Amazon in general.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 January 2010
Purchased when brother bought Samsung laptop with no dial-up modem installed. USB modem automatically recognised by laptop and drivers installed. Worked first time and on the web with no issues. Excellent device.
on 7 October 2010
Just bought this for my new Windows7 laptop. Worked immediately after plugging in (it found correct drivers automatically from internet.) Didn't even need to use disk.

However (unlike someone else's review) I didn't see any fax software on the disk. (only wanted that for my Window's Vista P.C. which came with modem, but no fax software) - Unlike Window's 7 which comes with fax software but no modem on laptop.

Works fine. First fax sent in less than 5 minutes after plugging in for first time. Still to test it for Dial up internet, but no hurry for that.