5.0 out of 5 stars Windows 7 64bit Compatable
Published on 14 Feb 2010 by Mr. B. J. Cargan

2.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't work for me on Vista 64 bit
I bought this modem as I wanted caller id support on my PC. I do not intend to use it as a dial up modem.

Published on 20 Jun 2009 by Jon

5.0 out of 5 stars Windows 7 64bit Compatable, 14 Feb 2010
This review is from: Max Value 56K USB Modem (Electronics)
I bought this recently for my Sony Vaio which does not have an internal Modem! Plugged it in, Windows 7 found the software did not need to use the supplied Disc or even to be on the Internet! Works perfectly every time no hassle with Windows 7 64bit at all!It flashes with a Red light to let you know it is searching and a continious Red glow otherwise!I decided to write this review as i could not find info previously so i hope this helps you!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good For The Price, 30 Jan 2009
Mr. C. Mayo "Mr Happy" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Max Value 56K USB Modem (Electronics)
I wanted a basic dial-up modem to use as a back up if my broadband router should fail for any reason.
This fits the bill perfectly.It's easy to install and is straightforward to use.
Everything that it should be.It may only be used very occasionally,but it works.Good for the price.Can't fault it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't work for me on Vista 64 bit, 20 Jun 2009
This review is from: Max Value 56K USB Modem (Electronics)

Plugging in the modem windows did not find the modem drivers automatically for me. The supplied CDSetup.exe didn't install the drivers either. I had to hunt down into the drivers folder to get the drivers to install. I could then do an update driver on it via the modem properties, where windows did find a newer driver.

The caller id side of it didn't work for me by default either. Some expermintation via HyperTerminal confirmed it does support it. I tried a few windows caller id repair utilities that didn't work for me. In the end I got caller id to work by supplying #CID=1 in the extra initialization parameters under the modem properties, so that was OK in the end.

The biggest problem I am having is that if I leave the USB modem plugged in my PC won't boot up. It hangs on the Windows logo part of the booting process. This essentially makes it redundant for me. I don't want to have to keep pluggin in the modem each time I reboot.

So if anyone has any ideas on what is causing it to hang, or has got it working on Vista 64 bit (My PC is an Aspire T180 AMD 64 dual core if that makes a difference) then please add your comment.

In summary, because of the setup problems and the booting problems I am only giving it 2 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Faxxing!!!!, 12 Feb 2010
Edward G. Martin (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Max Value 56K USB Modem (Electronics)
If like me you have a windows product like WIN7 that has fax capability but LATEST laptop doesnt have dial up capability THIS IS FOR YOU.

Although not universally used any more, SOMETIMES one has to send a fax!!!!!!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Just the Job, 22 Oct 2009
K. Stevens (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Max Value 56K USB Modem (Electronics)
Purchased this for a friend who had bought a new Dell computer without a dail up facility. As he only wanted to collect and send e-mails with only the occasional internet use, I recommend this gadget. The machine was using Windows Vista and on plugging in the Max Value 56K USB Modem, Windows found and loaded the driver. The Modem was immediatly operational.Impressed that it came with a telephone cable and CD with instructions on the Disc. Drivers from the CD were not loaded as only the dail up function was required and in this mode works perfectly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin!, 16 July 2009
This review is from: Max Value 56K USB Modem (Electronics)
Having recently bought a Netbook for use when travelling I discovered it does not have a dial-up modem installed as standard which is fine as long as travelling where there is WiFi access. However most of my travelling is in locations where WiFi is not always readily available so a dial-up connection has to be made.
True this type of connection does seem very slow if trying to access websites or downloading large files but at least it keeps me with essential contact with my email. The fact that it is powered by the USB port is also a great advantage when travelling as is its small size.
This device does what it says on the tin and for a very low price so comes highly recommended.
Note that I am using it for pure dial-up connection and did not load any of the s/w supplied for fax use etc so cannot comment on the extra features.....but for what I need it for its great.

4.0 out of 5 stars Caller ID? No problem, 27 Jun 2012
This review is from: Max Value 56K USB Modem (Electronics)
I bought this item to use CallerId on a BT landline. Although this is rumoured to be 'difficult', I managed it with this
modem first time. The AT control strings are: AT+GCI=B4 (sets country to UK) AT+FCLASS=8 (sets voice mode) AT+VCID=1 (enables caller ID).
In fact, maybe only the last one is needed - anyway, it works fine...

5.0 out of 5 stars Portable modem, 16 Sep 2009
This review is from: Max Value 56K USB Modem (Electronics)
So easy to install. Worked first time with no problems on Windows XP. Ideal portable modem for use as a backup connection to internet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent as a backup, 18 Jun 2009
John Webb (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Max Value 56K USB Modem (Electronics)
Using Vista you don't even need the supplied installation CD. Vista already has the required driver. Just plug the device into a USB socket and away you go. All you need to enter is your ISPs phone number, and your userid and password.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works fine with Vista 32 bit, 4 July 2009
K. A. Williams (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Max Value 56K USB Modem (Electronics)
Again, I required a fall back dial up modem in case of broadband failure.
Tried an internal PCI card, but it did not work, Vista could not recognise it.
Purchased this device and it worked first time. Have tried it several times and each time got a succesful dial up connection.
Very good value for money.

Max Value 56K USB Modem