4.0 out of 5 stars A good read if a little wordy
As a big fan of L.E.Modesitt I was eagerly awaiting publication of this, the sequel to "Natural Ordermage". While I did enjoy the book it was a little "wordy" in that I feel it could have been truncated to produce a more readable, exciting story. That said I will continue to purchase Mr Modesitt's tales as they do have the power to hold the reader.
Published on 13 May 2009 by Mr. Mr. Morris

1.0 out of 5 stars The Worst of Recluse
The Recluse series has always been one of my favorites but this book is awful, i found myself skipping pages just to get to the end quicker..if you are a Recluse fan i suggest you jump to last book in series "Arms-Commander" & find out what happens to the Angels in Westwind after Nylan left
Published 16 months ago by Chaddy

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read if a little wordy, 13 May 2009
Mr. Mr. Morris (Surrey, England) - See all my reviews

1.0 out of 5 stars The Worst of Recluse, 4 May 2013

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish, 28 April 2009
This is probably the worst entry in the Recluce series so far. The first half is not too bad; and then it becomes endlessly tedious, as the protagonists wander across Hamor. The battle scenes have been done so many times before, and it is frankly very hard to care about the sides involved.

Modessit is plainly tired of the series. The preceding three books have all been pot-boilers, and the standard is dropping with each of them. In "Natural Ordermage", the standard theme of an exiled mage from Recluce was trotted out yet again; then the theme of the exile in a strange land; then the "mage has lost his memory" from "Towers of the Sunset"... it all felt like Modessit by numbers. But this volume is worse. It's *boring*. I can't care much about the "hero", the resolution with the heroine feels forced and unnatural... it just wasn't worth my time.

I felt really disappointed by this one. Avoid.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excelllence Continues, 6 Aug 2008
J. Guest "stujac6" (West Lothian) - See all my reviews
Greatly anticipated latest addition to the recluse series, yet again Modesitt delivers a book of quality. I had to read the book from start to finish as I couldn't put it down. A wonderful story that contains all the ingrediants one can enly expect Modessit to pull together and entrance the reader. He is a prolific writer for which i am extremely grateful! Can't wait for the next installment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hamor 2, 29 Mar 2013
Ever wondered about the continent of Hamor in Modesitt's World of Recluce? This is the second of a triology set in that empire. It holds the same high class as his other books, well worth a read.

3.0 out of 5 stars not bad, 15 Feb 2013
grant mcnicol (scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mage-Guard of Hamor (Saga of Recluce) (Kindle Edition)
This book is not as good as the previous books in the series.I agree with a previous reviewer in that it's tedious,to say the least.I found it to be one continuous battle scene from start to finish.In saying that i'm still looklng forward to the next book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mage-gaurd of Hamor, 8 Dec 2009
R. Borrowdale (Devon in Great Britain.) - See all my reviews
I found this book as good a read as all the books in the series I have collected them all and can hardly wait for the next episode to be written, the story realy sucks you in to it, as long as it is it took me about 4 days to read it from cover to cover, I would strongly encourage other readers of this type of book to read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars If I could only take one author to read on a desert isle this is the One !!!!, 7 Aug 2014
This review is from: Mage-Guard of Hamor (Saga of Recluce) (Kindle Edition)
How can somebody keep this Saga going and make it so exciting and realistic

Mage-Guard of Hamor (Saga of Recluce)