4.0 out of 5 stars It works - once you work out how!
Earlier reviews saying it didn't work seem to clash with those praising it.
My first experience was not good - it would not prime. Eventually once I'd got water into it, then it worked fine but it would not prime with air.
Published on 9 Oct 2010 by wg

3.0 out of 5 stars It's OK - BUT!
Published on 2 May 2011 by Thermoman

3.0 out of 5 stars It's OK - BUT!, 2 May 2011
This review is from: Draper 43904 Fuel Transfer Syphon Pump (Automotive)
This is clearly a capricious device. I returned the first one because it did not appear to work and applied to return the replacement when that also proved inoperable. There seemed to be something amiss with the design of the non-return valves. Then I carefully read all the reviews. Thankfully another purchaser had discovered that, because the upper valve in the bulb unit is not spring-loaded, relying instead on gravity, it is often necessary to hold the bulb UPSIDE-DOWN!! in order to prime the pump. The device manufacturer clearly does not feel obliged to pass on this decidedly arcane, but vital, operating instruction.

Amazon's swift response, in accepting returns and issuing a refund or replacement, has, in my experience, been exemplary but I have suggested that, if it wishes to avoid having a high proportion of these pumps returned, it should apply some pressure in the appropriate quarter. Time will tell whether any effective action is taken but, in the mean time, if you wish to avoid a mouthful of something unpleasant, this device, despite its defects and quirky operation, may be one of the few reasonably-priced alternatives to sucking on the end of a plastic tube.

4.0 out of 5 stars It works - once you work out how!, 9 Oct 2010
This review is from: Draper 43904 Fuel Transfer Syphon Pump (Automotive)
Earlier reviews saying it didn't work seem to clash with those praising it.
Then I discovered the trick. The one way valve is not operated by a spring, but by gravity. Hold it with the flow direction arrow pointing UP and it WILL pump air and prime. Hold it pointing down [or sideways] and nothing happens.
Shame this is not pointed out in the instructions really, otherwise 5 stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple & effective, 26 Mar 2010
This review is from: Draper 43904 Fuel Transfer Syphon Pump (Automotive)
I need a siphon for removing excess, nasty tasting coolant from the radiators of cars (for some reason my garage always over-fills them). After priming my simple tube-siphon orally & finding the flavour of the coolant was not to my liking I opted for a priming pump - ergo this purchase which I find to be eminently satisfactory.

This Draper siphon is a well designed and manufactured tool that does exactly what it is intended to do = siphon! It could hardly be otherwise - it is a simple, continuous tube with a squeezable bladder in the middle to prime it, and gravity does the rest. There is no way of getting this wrong! The one-way valve is non-essential bonus.

I notice some other reviewers have experienced some difficulties with this device. At the risk of being patronising let me point out a couple of basic facts and one little trick which will guarantee positive results. . .

1. A siphon is NOT a pump and cannot lift liquids. If the end of the outlet tube rises above the liquid surface in the donor reservoir even briefly the flow will stop - gravity usually works downwards ;-)
2. Siphons don't like air - the end of the inlet tube must be fully immersed in the donor resevoir ;-)

If two squeezes of the priming bladder fail to get the flow started, try blocking the end of the outlet tube with your finger while you "un-squeeze" the priming bladder. Absolutely guaranteed to work every time.

Yes, it works!

5.0 out of 5 stars A useful toolkit addition for long distance motorcycle touring, 21 Sep 2009
Charles Wood - See all my reviews
This review is from: Draper 43904 Fuel Transfer Syphon Pump (Automotive)
Recently purchased one of these to compliment my essential emergency motorcycle kit for long distance touring and it's a great addition. The build quality is good and solid and there is enough length on the hoses to siphon between tanks. Great value for peace of mind and I highly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Diesel Priming Pump., 17 Dec 2012
This review is from: Draper 43904 Fuel Transfer Syphon Pump (Automotive)
I used this to prime the diesel fuel line of a '08 2.0 tdci Ford Kuga after removing/disturbing fuel filter and pipes. It worked perfectly for this application as: 1. a syphon pump AND 2. a priming pump.

First i connected the pump to the output of the filter and drew the fuel from the tank, through the filter and into a container. This primed lines, filter and filter case. NOTE: my filter hadn't been changed therefore the casing and filter were not completely empty to begin with. I suggest if you purchase this for a "filter change" i would recommend manually filling the casing and soaking filter as much as possible before this method.

Secondly, by connecting the Draper pump "in line" after filter and before high-pressure common-rail pump the fuel could actually be "pushed" up into h-p pump from the tank and filter. I did have to make an adapter sleeve for the fuel-line connector. I simply used a cut-off biro-pen body.
This process allowed me to momentarily start engine WITH THE DRAPER PUMP STILL CONNECTED clearing any air-locks that had before stopped the engine from starting. I then quickly removed and reconnected fuel lines in their original positions and restarted the engine perfectly.

This little pump really got me out of a sticky situation and Amazon did me proud on delivery too. I ordered around 18.30 Friday evening and using Express Delivery it arrived around 09.00 Saturday morning!!

IMPORTANT NOTE: As mentioned in the other reviews here, this device only seems to work properly in THE CORRECT ORIENTATION. I found using the pump to syphon only worked when the "direction of flow" arrow was inverted and pointing upwards. However, once the pump bowl was "fully charged" i could move it to horizontal. I really couldn't remove one star rating for this as it's not the device that is at fault, more poor instructions.

Thanks.

1.0 out of 5 stars Draper 43904 Fuel Transfer Syphon Pump, 15 April 2011
This review is from: Draper 43904 Fuel Transfer Syphon Pump (Automotive)
This pump was in use for one week syphoning bath water for use in the garden.
After about 50 squeezes it failed. It felt as if the valve inside the bulb had come loose.
I returned the faulty pump about two weeks ago requesting a replacement. So far I have had no response

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent product. well made., 6 Dec 2013
This review is from: Draper 43904 Fuel Transfer Syphon Pump (Automotive)
Note! there is a trick to using this siphon - . prime it first with the hose help vertical. Once you've got product past the bulb you're away. If not you'll be there all day wondering why its not working.
Shame the instructions don't say this essential fact!!!!
Highly recommended. well made. gets a lot of use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does exactly what its title says, 26 May 2010
J. Harrison-eason (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Draper 43904 Fuel Transfer Syphon Pump (Automotive)
I bought this product to transfer some fuel from a tank that was unable to be moved - the syphon pump works a treat - job was done in minutes due to the size of the pipe supplied and the pump - I'd recommend this product

5.0 out of 5 stars Water the garden..., 12 Feb 2012
This review is from: Draper 43904 Fuel Transfer Syphon Pump (Automotive)
I got this so I could syphon the water from the kids bath every night up out the window and down to the back garden. The pump works well - I bought some clear pipe (from b&q) to run down to the garden - slowly extending it over time. It runs to about 100 feet. Use slightly thicker clear pipe to join up the smaller pipe (just pushing it together created a decent fit). Also I just hold the syphon pump against the end of the clear pipe (it is not a perfect fit) but after 5 or 6 pumps the syphon starts to work. During the summer I move the end from plant to plant - lots of water for the garden (with just a little soap).

1.0 out of 5 stars rubbish, 12 July 2012
Mr. John Macdougall (scotland UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Draper 43904 Fuel Transfer Syphon Pump (Automotive)
The pump has failed after only 1 use the item is nothing but a piece of rubbish do not buy it

Draper 43904 Fuel Transfer Syphon Pump