1,079 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars We are glad we spent a little more and bought this
Have had the Rexel Prostyle for a couple of months now and it has exceeded our expectations. Previously we had bought cheap shredders which broke after a few months and had to be constantly oiled. The Rexel does not require oil, takes 10 sheets easily and has never got stuck yet despite us putting all sorts of different paper through it.
Published on 13 July 2009 by H. Phelps

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed
Purchased this shredder for home use. The immediate experience was of a reasonably quiet and nicely designed product. However, I have now returned a second machine. Despite observing the manufacturer's instructions (no oil, maximum 3 minutes use at a time) both machines broke down quickly, one within a day, the second in the first week. In each case the motor simply...
Published on 2 Dec. 2011 by Wayfarer

5.0 out of 5 stars We are glad we spent a little more and bought this, 13 July 2009
H. Phelps - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Neat and fast, 17 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Rexel Style+ Cross Cut 7-Sheet Paper / Credit Card Shredder with 12 L Pullout Bin and View Window (Office Product)
I needed to replace my small home-office shredder, and after comparing various Amazon reviews, chose this one because; (a) it scored highest when comparing the ratio of its 5*+4* reviews total to its 1* reviews total, (b) it has a 3-minute maximum continuous use limit, where many of its competitors have only a 2-minute limit and (c) it has a 2-year warranty where most competitors have only a 1-year. I ordered this on Saturday night, it was delivered by mid-day Monday and I had cleared my 18-month shredding backlog by Monday tea-time - filling 1-1/2 black bin liners. Well done Amazon and Yodel for the very quick delivery.

In use I found this shredder quite fast and not too noisy. It does struggle on 7 sheets - but how often do you need to do that? In practice it is actually quicker to feed in 4-5 sheets at a time so that the shredder does not slow down - a "little and often" approach. This also helps not to overheat it - mine cut out a couple of times during my marathon session when I tried maximum loads, so one needs to observe the 3-minute maximum on continuous use. Anyway, the bin is nicely full after a 3-minute session, so you have to stop then to empty it. Doing this, and keeping the feed down to a lower level, works just fine and allows you to keep going for a long time.

A nice feature when this shredder does overheat is that, once it has cooled down, it will restart automatically to let you know that it is ready again (provided that you have left it switched on to Auto with some paper still in the slot). The cooling-off period varies, depending on how hot it got - in my case between 10 - 20 minutes.

The overall design is perhaps rather twee, but I like the pull-out bin instead of the more usual lift-the-head-off style. The bin is quite easy to handle for emptying, but as others have noted, it needs to be replaced fully, otherwise the shredder will not work. I do find the On/Off switch fiddly to use - other shredders I have owned were much easier in this respect - so I deduct 1/2* from the perfect score for this = 4-1/2*

Finally, does anyone know why Rexel are different in insisting that this shredder should not be oiled - all others I have used ask for oiling of the cutters at regular intervals.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Product, 18 April 2011
Amazon Customer (Glasgow, Scotland) - See all my reviews
We had lots of shredding to do and so had to move from a domestic shredder to a slightly more heavy duty one. Having read other reviews, I decided to go for this one.
It is much quieter than our previous shredder - though I would say 11 sheets is not realistic. We found it worked best with 8 - 9 at the most. You also need to make sure you don't just constantly feed it - by giving it a rest of even 20 seconds in between, it will shred for hours. Otherwise it will overheat in 3 minutes and be out of action for an hour.
Looks nice and is solid.
Good buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good step up from basic shredders, 14 Feb. 2010
Philip J. Nicholls (Northumberland, UK) - See all my reviews
This is the third shredder I have owned.

Previously we bought 'cheapy' type shredders for around the 20 pounds mark. While they did the job, every year or so when we would have a clear out of the 'office' they would invariably overheat, jam and, when they did work, were very noisy.

We thought this was normal behaviour for a shredder, we didn't know any better - but this time, as I fed reams of paper into our budget model (3 sheets at a time despite the claims to do 5 - in your dreams buddy!) I finally got around to looking at what else was on offer.

Reading various reviews on Amazon, the main contenders came down to various Fellowes or Rexel machines. I decided to go for something quite a bit beefier than what I had been using before, and decided that a 10 sheet at a time minimum would be my baseline.

So, Fellowes or Rexel? I looked at the Fellowes P-58C Cross Cut Shredder with SafeSense Technology and went so far as to download the pdf manual from their web-site. After every use you have to oil it! Well, I don't mind a bit of maintenance every now and then, but every time?!

Sorry Fellowes, you're out.

Then it left a choice of Rexel models, which one would it be? I liked the look of these 'Style' models, slightly less 'functional office' and more 'home/executive office'. So it comes down to 3 models, the 2 smaller siblings, or this one, the big brother.

The 2 smaller offerings from Rexel may be 'man-enough' for the job, but having been bitten (twice) by inferior products, I was inclined to go with the ProStyle, as opposed to the Rexel Style Plus Shredder 2101946 or the Rexel Style 5 Sheets Confetti Cut Shredder With 7.5L Bin.

I'm glad I chose this model, as it has made shredding far less of a chore. No need to seperate documents into individual pages before shredding and it is so much quieter than what I am used to. I always thought of shredders as being noisy, tempremental machines - well, no more. This is a pleasure to live with. Slightly larger than base models, a little heavier too, but it looks and works so much better.

Another huge plus point is the bin, it slides out from the front (side? depends which way you have it facing I suppose!), so no more having to lift the top of the machine off spreading debris over the floor.

Thank you Rexel, for producing something so capable and easy to live with!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value, low-volume shredder, 10 Mar. 2008
PROS: relatively small size, easy to fit under a desk till needed; good looking design; simple to operate; doesn't require shredder oil; makes a good job of chopping up sheets of paper (I haven't tried a credit card yet).

CONS: emptying the waste bin can be a bit messy; the bin fills up quite quickly; I found it best to feed paper in 1 sheet at a time to avoid over-straining the motor; fairly slow, so best suited to occasional use.

OVERALL: a good machine for the price, but best suited to light use only.

5.0 out of 5 stars prostyle, 7 Feb. 2011
Mr. A. Moore (northern ireland) - See all my reviews
This is the best shredder I have ever used at home it is bigger than I thought it was going to be but this does not take away anything from this product it looks well, works very well nice and quiet sounds like a nice hum not a wood chipper like my last shredder, Holds plenty of paper and it was a bit more than I was hoping to spend on a shredder but im glad now I did well worth that bit extra.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good shredder, looks neat too, 5 Sept. 2008
Mr. R. Dickins (UK) - See all my reviews
Well, it chops paper brilliantly, munches the odd credit card well, what more can you say?

It looks good too.

It does handle multiple sheets with ease, although I tend to to press it hard in that area.

The only thing I would say about it is that since the shredder mechanism is on one side, the shredded paper piles up on that side, and so if you don't jiggle the bin around a bit every so often you will end up with it overflowing inside on the one side. But that's a teeny minor point really.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant shredder for the money but not for bulk shredding, 1 Jun. 2009
G. Pidler "Gillian" (Devon Uk) - See all my reviews
I bought this shredder for two reasons, one for shredding finished with mail on a daily basis & two to clear 23 years worth of old paperwork. Its fantastic on a daily basis for a few minutes worth of shredding, but if you want something to handle bulk shredding jobs this shredder will handle it but you will have to keep stopping to let it cool down. It has a safety shut off when it gets hot which is a good thing, but it takes a good 20 minutes to cool down enough for it to come back to life.
It looks lovely, has a finger safety slot and works really nicely, its also small enough that I have mine stuck down the side of the sofa out the way. But if you're in a rush to get all that backlog of paperwork out the way you might want something that doesnt have the cut out feature, maybe a small office level shredder.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, BUT DO NOT PURCHASE OIL, 25 Feb. 2010
A. Barguss (Oxford, UK) - See all my reviews
I'm really impressed with this shredder - it looks great, cuts well, and seems superbly made. However, I was disappointed that Amazon suggested I buy shredder lubricant with it. THE OPERATING INSTRUCTIONS FOR THIS SHREDDER SAY DO NOT USE LUBRICANT (and Rexel accept no liability should you do so).

5.0 out of 5 stars nice little shredder for your every day needs, 22 Oct. 2011
we needed to buy a shredder because we wanted to be able to destroy paper work with sensitive information on it, things like bank statements, insurance policies, etc...after reading many reviews of a few different shredders we finally decided on this one. i have read a few statements that said the shredder overheats easily. however, we have just shredded a whole bag of paperwork and the shredder had no problems with it.

the specifications read that it can handle max. 7 sheets at once. yes, but that doesn't mean that you really have to feed it 7 sheets at once. if you are sensible about it, feeding it 3/4 sheets you can already hear that he is fighting with them. so why would you push the poor little thing over the edge by feeding it more? just keep nice simple, don't overfeed it too many sheets at once and give it a bit of break in between a continuous shredding session and you'll be just fine.