Format: DVD|Change

on 22 January 2013
I had read other reviews on Amazon saying that it was a shame the entire 1st season wasn't on the disc, I ordered anyway as I could not find these episodes anywhere else, and I thought a few were better than none.

To my delight the box actually contains 2 discs, with all 14 episodes from Season 1. (To my knowledge this is the entire season). I could be wrong, but fairly sure.

Quality is as good if not better than those I recall watching on tv as a teenager (yes a teenager, I always liked the weird somewhat bleak feel to the show.)

All in all an absolute bargain for £7, will be ordering the other seasons as soon as I have watched these (several times). :)

A real throwback to my "youth" I think I was 17 when this season first aired, but I am little bit of a child at heart, if the kids are lucky they may be allowed to watch them as well!

Delivery time was quick and arrived on the day stated, couldn't be happier. 3 Thumbs up.
on 29 March 2008
Like other reviewers, I have been waiting for this release for years. I loved this series as a child, and also having read the books and bought the DVD of the 70s series, I was excited to learn that this japanimation version was finally getting released.

This DVD however, is pitiful. The packaging looks like it's been put together by a five year old. It's clunky, ugly, badly designed and the text is full of typos. It makes no reference to the charm, beauty and quirkiness of The Moomins, says nothing about their creator Tove Jansson, or about this Japanese series except that it was shown on the BBC in the 90s. Things get worse when you play the DVD itself. The menus are just as ugly as the packaging, and the choices are simply "Episode 1", "Episode 2", etc. instead of the episode titles - hardly helpful in locating which episode you want to watch! However, I might be able to put all of this aside, were it not for the absolutely appalling transfer of the series itself. The picture is really bad quality and grainy and full of artifacts. The audio isn't great either - tinny and it played with an echo on my player! It's practically unwatchable! Clearly no care has been taken in transferring it, and the thought of restoration hasn't even entered anyones head. I honestly think my old recorded-off-tv VHS tapes would be better quality!

As you can tell, I'm seriously disappointed. I really hope that someone else releases a lovingly constructed DVD of this treasured series. In the meantime, do not buy this. If you're interested in The Moomins, either buy the books, or buy this beautiful DVD set of the haunting 1977 series: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Moomins-Richard-Murdoch/dp/B000CQK07U/
on 18 April 2012
I never thought I'd see this show again until a random search brought me to this DVD. Just received it and love it so much. Obviously the picture isn't perfect but as it's such a great show you just forget about it after a couple minutes. So many episodes definitely worth the money!
on 1 April 2016
The episodes are rather sweet, although the stories don't seem to be much like the books. There is a lot more very strange magic & fantasy in these episodes.
Purchased in early January but only opened at Easter (when given as a gift) - disappointed that the disc was actually faulty, but too late to return.
on 16 February 2016
Bought for my 4 year-old grand-daughter who is loving it. A couple of stories scared her a little bit but otherwise it's a hit. The voices are a mixture of English and American voices which is a pity. All English would have been better which is why I have only given it 4 stars. Would recommend.
on 30 October 2014
This will be given away as a gift. Animation is good. But I can't stand the way Moominpappa is voiced, as a squeaky-voiced doddery buffoon! Not at all the way i imagine him!

So I will try other versions of the Moomins. Or just read the books again.
on 25 February 2013
This dvd is such a great collection and brings back great memories of watching the moomins on tv when my son was small. The moomins and their friends are so strange but in a good way and I love every minute of it and cannot wait to get the second series!!!!!
on 17 April 2013
My friend's son, who I bought this DVD for, is very pleased with it; delivery time was quick and I believe that he - more or less - started watching it as soon as he could. He's completely pleased, as is my friend who can relive her childhood again.
on 2 May 2010
I'm not quite sure what certain people are complaining about! Ok, the animation isn't the best but what can you expect when the series was created in the 90's? People need to get over HD!

I had a slight pink line at the top of the screen but it didn't distract me from the cartoon and it wasn't there all the time, just flashed up occasionally.

The sound echoed for the first few minutes on the first episode of the first DVD but because it didn't last long I didn't mind.

Since I'm 24 this is the series I remember, not the fuzzy charaters, so I love this series.
I'd recomend the series to anyone who remembers and loves it for what it is! Even if you pay the full RRP price it's cheap so I think its hard to complain?!
on 12 June 2012
This was a present for someone younger than me who remembers seeing this on TV (I had only read the books). She enjoyed the nostalgia very much, but I have not seen it, so cannot give more stars.