4.0 out of 5 stars Finally!
I have been waiting for this animated version of The Moomins to come out ever since it went off TV!

As a child of the 90s,I never saw the version with puppets so I didn't want to buy that(although I am sure it is very good,since so many people rave about it).

Published on 8 April 2008 by Bebe Belisma

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible Quality!
Published on 23 Dec 2009 by wee_retty

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Finally!, 8 April 2008
This review is from: The Moomin - Series 1 - Complete [1990] [DVD] (DVD)

The Moomins was my favourite TV show when I was little and I was devastated when it was took off(I've only got one recorded episode,The Golden Fish from series 3, to keep me going all these years)!

I never thought after all this time,they would release this show...but then I saw a review in The Times for it and I was so happy!

They don't make such quality kids programs these days but I think children of today would adore The Moomins!

I only have 2 complaints about this DVD...

1.The picture/sound quality isn't the best(which is the reason I gave it four not five stars),in some parts it even echoes,but then this DVD isn't exactly expensive and I'm prepared to put up with a few flaws just to be able to see The Moomins again!

2.My other complaint is that I can't buy ALL of the episodes!
Please please release all the other series too!

I have a link to the website which lists information on the other series and episodes of the Moomins,so if anyone is interested,please email me.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great collection, as long as you don't mind a couple of little mistakes and moderate sound and video quality., 3 Nov 2009
This review is from: The Moomin - Series 1 - Complete [1990] [DVD] (DVD)
Like most of the people who will be interested to buy this DVD, I watched Moomin when I was little, and then missed it for a long time between it disappearing from normal TV broadcasting until recently becoming available on DVD. And as such, I'm not disappointed - all those episodes collected in one place in a digital format - great!

As many other reviewers have mentioned, the sound and picture quality are not up to 'today's standards', and though the series was made a good few decades ago now, I can't help but feel that if they'd really wanted to they'd have managed to clean it up a bit for the DVD. If you want an idea of what the quality is like, I don't think it's any worse than it would have been off your TV 20 years ago. As far as I'm concerned, it's fine.

I was a bit concerned when starting the first episode, that the audio had a slight but distracting echo. However, this does not appear in the rest of the episodes, as far as I can tell. One other problem is that on the second disk, the first and second episodes are the wrong way round in playing order, creating discontinuity if you're trying to watch all in one go. There are no other language options than English, and no subtitles at all. The DVD menu gives you just 'episode 1', 'episode 2' etc, so you have to refer to the back of the DVD box to know what you're selecting. Those are all the problems as far as I've found.

If you're unfamiliar with the series but are considering buying the DVD for children, then it's a fantastic choice. I'll never cease to be horrified by the incredible crap TV that's made for children these days, and if you want something stimulating, thoughtful and entertaining to give children via a TV then you're much better off referring back to the 80's stuff like Pingu, Thomas the Tank Engine, and Moomin, to name a few. The age range for all of these examples is great too, from toddlers to 8 year olds being the ideal, in my opinion. Myself, I still enjoy Moomin and Pingu at 22 years old, which must say something good about them. The stories are structured, the characters are engaging, developed and entertaining, and there is plenty of excitement without being too scary (the classification on the back of the DVD is 'mild threat', to be specific), and there are many lessons and 'morals' in the stories.

In summary, whether you're buying for nostalgia or for a new young audience, this is a perfect choice. As long as you don't mind the same quality as analogue TV, a couple of minor mistakes on the DVD ordering, and a lack of language and subtitle options, then you won't be disappointed (escpecially for the price Amazon are selling it for).

N.B. Incase you haven't noticed, there are also three more DVD volumes of Moomin available to buy on Amazon, with many more episodes. I've bought these too but as I've not yet watched them I will return later to review them too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Moomins from the BBC, 5 Mar 2008
This review is from: The Moomin - Series 1 - Complete [1990] [DVD] (DVD)
I got this today, have been waiting for a DVD release for YEARS. It's just as lovely and strange as I remember it! Snork Maiden remains my favourite character, and Sniff or the Hemulen my least. But who could forget the Hattifatners?! They're so weirdly-cute!! I'm a little disappointed by the fact says "complete series one" when series one of Moomins spans 78 episodes. But for 5.94(the price I got it for before it rose) 14 episodes are TOTALLY worth it.
If your a fellow moomin fan who's been waiting to see the BBC version again you will not be disappointed. I can't remember if the text on the opening is the same as before, but I know there were some conflicts with the actual name, because it was called The Moomins on cbbc when it shown right?(I was very young when first watching them, therefore can't remember everything lol) Really it doesnt matter about the text. Because the music is the same!!! And I know how many people were after this theme!! For it to finally be available is magical really. And it seems longer!! The ending and opening both seem to be a bit longer than when they were shown on the BBC, but thats unsuprising considering how the BBC cut the credits etc. (And according to the credits, Pierre Kartner does the music, and he's done a Smurf theme or something, don't know much, google for yourself.)
The quality of the actual video is probably exactly how it looked when it was shown on tv, quite grainy in places. And there are some places where the sound wobble a bit. But frankly I expected this. And for a RRP of 9.99, you can't really expect much more.
All I hope is that they release the rest of the episodes. :fingers crossed: But honest to god, this is a saviour to all British moomin fans. We can rejoice finally.

Episode details; (as I'm sure people might want to know before buying right?)
There are 78 episodes to the original moomin series of the 90's, 14 of which are on this dvd, I'm not sure how many were translated into english and shown on the BBC, but this is a start at least.
1. Spring in Moominvalley
2. The Magic Hat
3. The Wreck
4. The Desert Island
5. The Hattifatners(god I love them)
6. Tiny Guests
11. The Wings
12. The Pirates
13. The Last Dragon on Earth
14. Our Neighbour is a Tough Teacher
If you check IMDB, or ANN, or Wiki for the episode names, it only says the Japanese ones. The only episodes that look to be out of order are 8 and 9. They seem to have been switched in the BBC showing, or the dvd got it wrong. Going by the names in Japanese ep 8(Magic Trick of the Flying Demon) is probably ep 9(The Hobgoblin, who flies on a black panther if you didnt know) on this DVD, so the "Invisable Friend" episode 8 should really be 9. But that doesn't matter really.
The episode names themself arn't too far off the actual Japanese if you check the websites that tell you that kinda thing. Which is nice, and btw, on the dvd the episode names are slightly longer in most cases. "The Wreck" for instance is "The discovery of a wrecked ship"

Anyways, thats all from me. Hope it helps some people make a decision to buy. Moomins is a lovely series, get this, get the books, get everything you can. I'm lucky enough to own a full set of the mini-plushes which sold in Ottakars round about the year 2000.
Just buy it! It's only 7.49 for crying out loud! What do you have to lose? It's one of the most endearing, weird series you'll ever have the pleasure of seeing!

(This is Meimi132, but because amazon has changed the way they let people review, now I can't use my account anymore...)

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible Quality!, 23 Dec 2009
wee_retty (Cheshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Moomin - Series 1 - Complete [1990] [DVD] (DVD)
I love the Moomins and I cannot fault the show itself, but this DVD release is terrible. It's extremely low quality, so bad that I don't know if I can actually stand to watch it. There's also a pinkish band that keeps flickering on and off at the top of the screen. I can't believe anyone had the nerve to release it like this. The blurb on the back keeps referring to the show as 'The Moomin' too, which should give you a clue as to the amount of care that was taken in producing this...

5.0 out of 5 stars Still Charming After All These Years, 26 April 2009
This review is from: The Moomin - Series 1 - Complete [1990] [DVD] (DVD)
The Moomins need no introduction. This cartoon show, however, may. Around 1990, Telecable Beneluxe and Bulls Tokyo created a tv cartoon series on the Moomins. This was to be the first cartoon series to get the approval of their creator, Finland-Swedish author/painter Tove Jansson. The series stayed more true to the spirit of her philosophical Moomin world, and it still is a series watched by people the world over - it has as much universal appeal as the books have always had.

Who doesn't know innocent, adventurous Moomin? Or the consistently-stoic Moominmamma? The restless, sometimes boyish Moominpappa? The irresponsible Little My or the carefree vagabond Snufkin? I for one have yet to meet a person who doesn't. In the first 14 episodes, included on this set, we follow the Moomin family and friends as they find a magic hat, discover a desert island, help an invisible child become visible again and deal with a horrific monster. However, the little things in life are also present, such as friendship, rivalry, depression and even falling in love. The immense popularity of these series is not surprising to me, because they are very sincere, and thus remain true to the books.

The voice acting is, for the most part, spot-on, especially in the case of Sniff. However, Ninni the invisible child's voice actress fails at progressing her voice at a pivotal point of the story, which cuts the impact of her road to becoming visible again - a bad error, as far as I'm concerned. The only voice I have a real problem with, though, is unfortunately that of Moominpappa (my favourite character). His voice actor captures none of the restless but consciously macho attitude of the character, instead making him sound irritatingly lofty. I think this is very unfortunate and I'm afraid that it often affects my enjoyment of viewing, but if you can get past it, then the subtle animation and good voice-acting make this a very pleasant series to watch.

And yes, these series do differ on the books for some part - Little My and Mymble for instance already knowing the Moomin family at the time of the first episodes, based on "Finn Family Moomintroll" (in which the two weren't present). The Snork has become an inventor, whose dearest ambition is to build a flying ship; a process that's followed through the entire series. Also certain characters from the comic strip get major roles, like the police inspector, one of my personal favourite characters. All in the benefit of these series, allowing it to stay close enough to the books but still allow it plenty of room to expand. And we mustn't forget that Tove Jansson herself wasn't always too strict on continuity with the books, either.

Because earlier DVD releases of these series were a fiasco, completely messing up the order and thus continuity of the episodes, I was immensely glad when Dutch company Telescreen took the first step into doing the thing properly. This is the first of intended future releases, and features, as said, 14 episodes. However, as a DVD set, it feels more home-made than a professionally-crafted release, both in picture and sound quality, while decent enough. Don't get me wrong, the packaging is beautiful as is the interface; but in this age of digitally remastered material, I agree that this series deserved that overhaul.

This, however, is also a small flaw indeed and it doesn't detract from the overall viewing experience. If you remember these series fondly like me, by all means get this set. Even if you aren't too fond of the Moomin books, you still might like these series. Whether they're drinking tea on the veranda or fending off frightening monsters, falling in love or outsmarting pirates, the Moomins and co are a charming sort as always. This is a nice place in which to get acquainted with them.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not the best quality, but its still good !, 12 May 2012
This review is from: The Moomin - Series 1 - Complete [1990] [DVD] (DVD)
Recieved this very promptly and couldnt wait to watch it. I read the reviews before i bought this dvd and i know its recieved mixed reviews. Really enjoyed watching the moomins and found it very nostalgic. sound and picture quality isnt the best but its still very watchable. Sometimes i think we get too used to watching digitaly remastered disney and this is the same as it was on telly 20 years ago. If you liked the moomins you wont be disapointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, 18 April 2012
This review is from: The Moomin - Series 1 - Complete [1990] [DVD] (DVD)
I never thought I'd see this show again until a random search brought me to this DVD. Just received it and love it so much. Obviously the picture isn't perfect but as it's such a great show you just forget about it after a couple minutes. So many episodes definitely worth the money!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Series Terrible DVD, 12 April 2010
This review is from: The Moomin - Series 1 - Complete [1990] [DVD] (DVD)
I loved The Moomin series as a kid and I still love it now. Some things are ageless.

My favourite character was Snufkin - I have a kind of cartoon/book-crush on him. All the characters though, are interesting and intelligent. The imagination behind The Moomins is what makes it. The storyline feel simple, but they remain interesting and you always want to know more about the world The Moomins live in. You can't help but love the characters.

I wish they still made good TV like this still. It goes to show that you can't replace a good story, or good ideas with flashy computer animations. Oh well.

However as others have said - the DVD quality is pretty abysmal. I don't know how anyone could release such a thing and not feel embarrassed. I guess though they are cheap, and it is not a modern series so there will not be the demand and parents maybe unwilling to pay out for something their child doesn't know and may not like. For people like me, who want to buy it out of nostalgia's sake more then anything, because I still enjoy some children's cartoons because they are well written and entertaining, it is a shame. There are other DVDs of old children's cartoons that have been produced without such cutbacks on quality.

I'm glad I suppose though that the series is finally available on DVD. Maybe one day someone will release The Animals of Farthing Wood on DVD! I am waiting for that moment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great memories., 26 July 2009
A. D. Mcgrath - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Moomin - Series 1 - Complete [1990] [DVD] (DVD)
I remember watching these when I was a kid (about 12 yo circa 1990).
Now I live in Finland (home of the Moomins)and as such am subjected to the Finnish version constantly.
So I bought vol 1 & vol 2 (English lang) for my kids to watch. They love it, I love it, and even our Finnish friends love it!
Really great story lines, charismatic characters, lovely animation, and hauntingly beautiful music.
I'd highly recommend this dvd to any parent, and maybe even the kids would love it too ;0).

4.0 out of 5 stars Animation classic, could be better transfer, 11 Mar 2008
This review is from: The Moomin - Series 1 - Complete [1990] [DVD] (DVD)
To answer previous reviews- the episode order printed on the case is as given by Livson himself, no error on the dvd.
The picture quality is dissapointing- I have better off air recordings on tape, and the commercial videotape was of much higher quality. This looks like the transfer was sourced from old videotape, over-much image sharpened (some horrible shadowing) and then to correct the bloated size, overly compressed. Lots of image artifacts visible. Two and a half hours per DVD9 should look crisp - this doesn't.
The story is a Finnish classic, and the Japanese animation is well above the quality produced for Western tv. The animation modifies the stories in the books a little but not that much.
A definite recommendation for any fan of childrens literature or classic animation, and just one star off for the poor image transfer.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xa2cdc168)

The Moomin - Series 1 - Complete [1990] [DVD]
The Moomin - Series 1 - Complete [1990] [DVD] by Ryosuke Takahashi (DVD - 2008)
8.29