5.0 out of 5 stars Yoni Wolf and company does it better than ever., 14 Mar 2008
Jakob Villien "villien0827" (Denmark) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Alopecia (Audio CD)
Don't be fooled; This isn't hip-hop. It's not electronica either. It certainly isn't indie rock. It's not even a mix of these things, it's something different. Take one song out and play it to someone, and they might give you a genre label, but play them the next and they're lost. That is not really why it's great. It's not because it's different that it's great. It just is. A wonderfully funky, bubbling, depressing and beautiful record all at once.

When I first heard Oaklandasulazylum I thought it was really interesting, but I couldn't take it all in one sitting. With Elephant Eyelash I was in love, and I think this new record is lots better. It will no doubt continue to grow on me with every listen. I can't even begin to recite the lyrics, as they are too goddam fantastic. They don't really make much sence in the first listen, but they seem to give an emotional ballast to the record, whereas per first listen you are sort of appalled by the topics and the things touched upon, but there is so much beauty in all of it. It all adds up and makes sence, if you don't tear it apart with overanalysis.

Wow.

It is just one of those wird glipses in the music engine that somehow came to be, well, a blessing for the originality in future music. I really wish there was a higher rating than five stars. '

Okay just a few lyrics:
- If I remain lost and die on a cross, at least I wasn't born in a manger.
- Even though I haven't seen you in years, yours is the funeral I'd fly to from anywhere.

5.0 out of 5 stars Why do you not know why?, 26 May 2013
This review is from: Alopecia (Audio CD)
A great album, part rap part indie I guess and slightly electronic all with great lines and hooks, melodic crazy NYC. Saw these in Leeds at the Brudenell, great show with Yoni talking to the audience and signing autographs afterwards. Great album covers too, though perhaps the titles could be improved (Alopecia?, Mumps?)

5.0 out of 5 stars best thing you'll hear all year, 16 May 2008
Ms. K. L. Carman (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Alopecia (Audio CD)
I bought this cd because a friend told me to. I dont normally do this, but this friend said i would love it. So i bought it without hearing any of their songs, or knowing what they were about. So i was so excited when it arrived in the post, as soon as i put it on i knew my friend was right! i fell in love with it and havent listened to anything else all week. This is the only review ive ever written on amazon aswell, i need people to know how good this album is! Its hard to describe the type of music, but that is a good thing ! it doesnt have a genre or a style, it just is what it is. I think you should do what i did and just buy it, you'll love it !

5.0 out of 5 stars You'll either love them or hate them., 5 Jun 2008
Kerouac fan (Torquay, England, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Alopecia (Audio CD)
Ms K L Carman sounds like a record company exec. writing to promote his/her product. But she's right about one thing - it is the best thing you'll hear this year! Like her friend I recommended Alopecia to all my friends - and they all hate it. But what do they know? What can you expect to hear? - think Talking Heads with heart/soul, and you'll have a quarter of it. Why? are cutting new ground, there's an intelligence at work here, I find them the most interesting band going.

Alopecia
Alopecia by Why (Audio CD - 2013)