5.0 out of 5 stars Handy indeed.
Published on 14 Jun 2005 by Candi Says

3.0 out of 5 stars Handicrafts
I am a fairly experienced but some of the information given was hard to take on board. The patterns were varied, but the instructions in some cases had to be looked for as they were not always evident.
Published on 6 Mar 2010 by Rosalyn White

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Handy indeed., 14 Jun 2005
Candi Says (Aberdeen, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I already have Ann Budd's sweater pattern book which is a godsend, and so purchased this one, which I am looking forward to using. This one features hats, scarves, socks, basic sweater, tank top and gloves. The same format - lots of tables, with gauges and stitch amounts, where you swatch in your chosen yarn and needles. Complicated on first look, but really easy once you get the hang of. I found it helpful to sketch out my design first and write out the measurements before circling in pencil all the figures I needed from the tables in the books.
There are so many combinations from both books, I really feel that I don't need to buy much patterns ever again! (means more cash to spend on yarn!) Again, its great as you can use anything from (UK yarns) 4 ply to Chunky (ie Rowan Kidsilk Haze right up to Rowan Big Wool!!) As I am trying to design my own garments at the moment, these books are just what I need - basic pattern tables and I can work round them with my ideas and designs.
The only thing that was missing from this one that was in the sweater book is the yarn amounts, which is SO helpful - only a rough range guide here, so I am going to have to guess wildly. But this is the first book, so it was probably just thought up for the second one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Resource, 30 Jan 2006
By A Customer
I can only say positive things about this book.

The tables in this book are easy to follow but this is explained at the beginning.
Multiple sizes from children to adults.
There are patterns for jumpers, vests, tams, socks, gloves mittens and scarves. They are only basic patterns but sometimes you only need a basic design.
There are also plenty of tips to help in making these garments.
The items I have knitted so far are a pair of socks (small size)which I incorportated a pattern from one of my stitch dictionaries, and gloves in stocking stitch (small size) and they have knitted up perfectly.
A very good resource to add to any knitter's library.

5.0 out of 5 stars another excellent knitting book from Ann Budd, 3 Feb 2007
J. McCreadie "j_mac_03" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
Ann Budd has many of her patterns published in Interweave Knits - and I like them all, a bit unfortunate for my ever growing collection of yarn and projects. However this is a book that will help you work through the yarn you have already bought or may be about to buy. The patterns are are for mittens, gloves, hats, tams, scarves, socks, vests and sweaters. Sizes go from baby to adult, so a great book for creating gifts for family and friends as well. Instructions are very clear and straightforward and the book is very well laid out. Recomended for beginner to expert knitters.

5.0 out of 5 stars The foundations on which to knit something beautiful, 18 Jan 2008
Ms. Mimi Daisy Hill "Eskimimi" (London/Lancaster, UK) - See all my reviews
Ann Budd's book should be a staple purchase for anyone's bookshelf - whether beginning knitters or more experienced lovers of the craft. In this one book she provides easy to understand tables and instructions to create mittens, gloves, hats, tams, scarves, socks, vests and a multitude of sweaters. Each of these patterns are given in numerous sizes and gauges, so you can realise your idea of having a cardigan knit in that gorgeous yarn you have been pawing at the yarn store...

What's more, each item is presented in a number of different variations with ideas for embellishments and gives you the building blocks to add in a whole world of colour work and stitch patterns, edgings and embellishments of your own. I have not been knitting long, but since I started I have been creating my own ideas, but it has been trial and error, this book takes the guesswork out of things, leaving you to concentrate your creative pawers on the more enjoyable task of picking yarn, choosing patterns and designs.

Excellent book, I'd recommend it to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best knitting book I have!, 5 April 2008
I bought this book September 07. From the patterns, I have since successfully knitted: 6 pairs of socks (currently on 7th), 1 scarf, 1 beret (or tammy as it is in the book), 1 pair of children's mitts all in various sizes and types of yarn and look forward to knitting many more items. Instructions are clear and concise, basic items can easily be constructed, with gentle advice and encouragement towards experimentation in stitches, sizes, styles. I also have Ann Budd's 'sister' book for sweaters which I also find unbeatable. By using the patterns I have learned a great deal about finishing and technique as well. Cannot recommend highly enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars At last it all makes sense, 6 Oct 2011
This book arrived yesterday and I am so pleased; I had previously bought the Bruce Weinstein: Knits Men Want and had not got a clue how to read an American pattern. Today reading the Ann Budd it suddenly all drop into place and made sense.:- the current Dk Iam using knits up as 6 stitches per inch on 4 mm needles. I cant imagine ever having to buy any more knitting patterns . I can honestly say that the US format makes sense, you can knit any size on any type of yarn, rather than UK system of buying patterns for each type of yarn. Yipee. I am so relieved.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Knitter's Book of Patterns, 14 Jun 2009
Mrs. M. Phillips "legwarmers" (Leeds England) - See all my reviews
This book has very clear instructions and allows you to knit items in multiple sizes. After a long time of looking for sock and glove patterns to fit non- average sizes I have been able to knit suitable items to the size I need. I recommend this book to all knitters

5.0 out of 5 stars Really useful book of patterns, 11 May 2009
K. Lord "Daisyx3" (UK) - See all my reviews
This is a really useful collection of patterns to use with various weights of yarn, and also for a wide range of people sizes (babies up to adult). There are sections on incorporating extra features to embellish the basic patterns. This is a book I can envisage using repeatedly.

4.0 out of 5 stars A really useful book, 31 Dec 2012
Michele Rickitt (Morpeth, Northumberland, UK) - See all my reviews
We all knit differently, and this book is designed to take that into account. I knit to a loose tension and I have ended up with items I've made not being the right size because my tension isn't the same as the pattern - I have a enormous baby bootee that would fit a 3 year old to prove it! Ann Budd's book means an end to such problems. You choose your yarn and knit tension squares/gauge swatches using your preferred needle size; work out how many stitches you knit to an inch; find the garment you want, and the tables will tell you how many stitches to cast on and rows to knit. It's that simple.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent source book, 25 Feb 2011
this book looks fantastic, many items i will knit over and over again. I also have the sweater book. It is an excellent book for using stash and items for all the family. Certainly recommend.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Knitter's Handy Book of Patterns
Knitter's Handy Book of Patterns by Ann Budd (Hardcover - 2002)
Out of stock