5.0 out of 5 stars what you would expect from Sony, 26 Mar 2008
This review is from: Sony DCR-SR210E Hard Disc Drive Handycam With X40 Zoom (Electronics)
Brought this camcorder last week and have only used it a few times so i cant give a more detailed review but my findings so far are fantastic.
After unpacking i charged the battery and after a few hrs it was ready to use.
Turn it on and your ready to go !
I then loaded the software onto my PC and then uploaded the film i had recorded.
Played it back and the footage was fantastic, the sound was out of this world, i even had to turn the sound off when i thought a bird was singing outside my window but it was actually on the footage i had shot, it was so clear and precise.
Not to sure about the software it comes with as it might have some compatibility problems but then it might just have been my laptop misbehaving, will keep an eye on that one.
when i played the footage back through windows media i had no problems at all.
But the software does look good and your footage is logged onto a calender so you could go to the specific date you shot the film and find it easy.
As i said at the start i have only had it a week so still have some playing around to do and features to use but so far all is well.
As for the camera itself its smaller than i thought and quite light and fits into the palm of your hand well with all functions easy to reach.
Defiantly worth the money and a great saving on amazon compared to some high street shops.

4.0 out of 5 stars Camcorder can do, 31 Mar 2009
S. Gerber "leosteve" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Having never before operated or owned a digital camcorder, but always wanting one, I decided to take the plunge with the Sony DCR SR210E, which had the right balance of features and price. It duly arrived 2 months ago a few days after ordering it from Amazon. I had considered whether I should bother with analogue when HD camcorders prices have come down so much, but they are still expensive, my rather older PC would not handle the processing, and I do not yet own a HD television, so the decision was easy.

Within 2 hours - in fact while charging the battery - I was using the device, which is pretty intuitive to use, and I have since been very impressed. I have recently been on holiday, giving me the chance to experiment a bit more, and continue to be amazed by how easy is is to get really good results. The battery usage has been excellent and I haven't needed to use the spare battery I bought even after an hour's filming per day, even on high quality. I am now starting to use the more advanced settings, but even on 'auto' the picture is great and crisp. The microphone is almost too sensitive, and I have been tempted to turn it off, but then feel I should capture things as they are and then edit out what I don't want.

On that front, I am disappointed with the software which accompanied the camera, some of which caused my PC to hang. The Sony software only helps to capture the files off the camcorder and organise them, but this also appears to make it more difficult for editing software struggle to capture video directly off the camera, although I did manage this easily on another laptop which did not have this software installed. I have been using trial versions of Corel Videoplus X2 and Sony Vegas Moviestudio - which, as a novice, I find baffling at times, but seem to be making more headway with the Sony software. This does have a reasonably good hand-holding help menu which shows one exactly where and how to do things, but leaves the more complicated stuff looking very intimidating. Despite this I have almost completed my first completed edited film!

All in all it's been a fun and interesting purchase, and I look forward to many more hours of using this so far remarkable device.

5.0 out of 5 stars All-round excellent camera, 24 Mar 2009
I got this camera as I was looking for a camcoder that could take proper photographs in addition to taking videos.
Overall I love this camera, very easy to learn and use, very well weighted and quiet. The mic is very sensitive and can really pick up all the sounds, havent tried it at very loud sound levels though yet. The quality of the videos and photos on the default setting is very good, and the 60GB hard disc is abyssal - on a three day trip to scotland with loads of videos and photos they barely made 900MB.
Battery time is quite good, will easily average more than 2 hours, and charges quite fast.
The build quality of the camera is superb, as are the accessories that come with it. Sony's software is also brilliant and easy to use.
The only drawback I can find in the camera is that the touch screen is a bit unresponsive at times - it really needs a good press, and the menus need a bit getting used to.
Overall an excellent camera, if you can find it at a good price go for it!

5.0 out of 5 stars money worthy, 29 April 2009
Hi guys, I am from bangladesh living in U.K. My english is not good enough to explain everything. anyway I'll give some comments atleast you can guess what my experiance was.I bought the sony dcr-sr210e handy cam few weeks ago.. it works nice , picture quality is excellant, still images are also better, but i have not printed yet. so any one can buy this cam without concern. I have a finepix9500 dslr camera aswell but this is better than that one.. any way my experiance about the amazon online buing is ..
in advertise. i found that there should be an extra/optional bettery but i find only one bettery.. so.. my question is .. where is the other one..?
except that.. my experiance is fine with the dellivery. i got with in three days..
my mail is. shishupotrika at yahoo dot com if any one need help may mail me.
thanks.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sony DCR-SR210E Hard Disk Drive Handycam with x40 zoom, 24 April 2009
W. V. Thomas - See all my reviews
Sony DCR-SR210E Hard Disc Drive Handycam with X40 Zoom , arrived promptly, I,ve only tested it to see how it worked, if it worked!, all went smoothly,
i stumbled a bit connecting to the computer, the touch screen menu showed USB connect,that i pressed, nothing happened, i soon found that there are two USB connect on the camera screen menu, one for the memorycard, which i didn't have, and one for the HD, silly me.
Thanks for the service. W V Thomas.

4.0 out of 5 stars Des, 3 April 2009
DJ Campbell "Drummer D" (N Ireland) - See all my reviews
Handy little camera. I would imagine the touch screen controls will get a bet messy after a while. Like the easy transfer to PC and the movie and picture album software which keeps all in order. Stores files as MP4's . Would prefr more flexibility to select other formats. Pic quality is good. Not great in dim light but acceptable. Fast starting for a quick capture . Still pics are bright and sharp.