4.0 out of 5 stars In a Macbook
I used this drive for my Macbook and I have to say -so far- has proven to be very good.Because I fitted it into a Mac I needed to format the drive using Apple's disk utility before my computer could recognize the drive.
The drive is very quite and is much better than anything else that I have used.
For the money it is super value and a lot cheaper than buying...
Published on 2 July 2009 by Mr. Ross Wilkinson

3.0 out of 5 stars Noisy when seeking if you have it in a laptop
Reliable, acceptably fast.

Trouble is the seek noise. When accessing files theres a constant gritty metallic sound which would be quiet for a desktop hard drive, but in a laptop without any other sounds to drown it out its plain irritating and feels antiquated.

Idle noise is good.

Many reckon its quiet but I've had 2 scorpios and both were...
Published on 29 May 2009 by Mr. P. M. Tasker

4.0 out of 5 stars In a Macbook, 2 July 2009
Mr. Ross Wilkinson "wilkiro" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Western Digital Scorpio Blue 320GB SATA 8MB Cache 2.5 inch Internal Hard Drive OEM - Sony Playstation PS3 Compatible (Personal Computers)
The drive is very quite and is much better than anything else that I have used.
For the money it is super value and a lot cheaper than buying an equivalent from APPLE.

5.0 out of 5 stars PS3 upgrade, 1 Jan 2009
Mr. T. S. Bain (Hampshire UK) - See all my reviews
Works like a dream, I just cant Sony are making such an issue of selling the different versions of the ps3, especially the limited edition 160gb version.
Buy the cheapest and get this upgrade is my advice!!

Words of warning though!! get the correct screwdriver before you start(I have the draper expert number 1), the screws are insanely tight and are made of some of the softest materials man can buy!
Have a read up on Sonys site they have a forum and dozens of people have wrecked the screws! [...]

Use an external drive and backup everything in system settings, makes the whole process easier, saves you having to install every game again.

You may also need the newest update on a memorystick, currently version 2.53, needs to be in "PS3/UPDATE" (in caps) on the stick otherwise it wont see it, full instructions are on the sony site also!
I also checked out some upgrade videos on youtube, search "ps3 upgrade" easy.

Hope this helped. I'm over the moon with my system now, runs cooler than before and have started copying over all of media!

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Quality, 4 Jun 2009
Mr. J. G. Cooke "JonnieC" (Bristol) - See all my reviews
I bought this as an upgrade for my macbook and I have no complaints at all. It runs as quietly and as quickly as my old hard drive and I've had no problems with it whatsoever. Thoroughly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant upgrade for PS3, 24 Oct 2008
Great upgrade, i now have all my (very large) music collection on my PS3, as well as all my photo collection and i don't have to worry about deleting trailers and demos to free up space. fantastic.
just be careful with those screws if you're removing/refitting into the PS3. don't even THINK about starting til you have the correct size screwdriver, as you'll just chew the heads up!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy Peasy PS3, 20 Jan 2009
D. Yarnell "romblue" (Chelmsford, UK) - See all my reviews
Ok let's get one thing straight, you will NOT have a HD with 320GB of space, once I had it in place it stated 269GB, not a problem, loads of space. Now that is out of the way I shall proceed.

This is a great little drive, easy to install. I'm not a techincal savvy kind of guy but I'm able to try most things and after reading reviews about the difficulty involved with the screws I was a little wary of changing the drive on my PS3 but with only 40GB drive filled to capacity I had to attempt it and with a little trepidation I jumped in.

I backed up all my data on to an external 500GB drive, took about an hour.

I then unplugged all connections and then removed the black panel and there before me was the infamous blue screw..... I have a small tool set which has those small screwdrivers but also has the interchangeable head set type as well. It's one of those cheap kits and I used the phillips head. The Blue Screw came out with no problem at all. I then slid the drive sideways a bit and pulled it out.

Now to remove the drive from the casing, this is where so many people have had problems with the screws. Not a problem as long as firm pressure maintained and an audible crack signals that the screw is free and can be unscrewed easily, do this for each of the 4 screws. Remove the old drive and it can be used for a backup source if you get a case for it.

Carefully I placed the new drive in to the housing, reattached the screws, back into PS3, Blue screw replaced, black panel back on, reconnect leads and powered up. Prompt to format drive, took a few minutes, reconnected external backup drive and restored the information. That took about an hour and now I have a PS3 which has more storage space than my laptop!!!

No problems at all. But now I have had it in a month and have noticed that the cooling fan does come into play a lot more, not sure if this is because of the new drive, a minor annoyance but when you're playing COD at 2 am and have the sound turned down it can grate a bit.

There are a number of tutorial videos on the web that show you how to do this and the cheap tool kit is available here on Amazon.

Remember that even though it is a 320GB drive it will not actually state that when you check capacity on PS3 menu, see other reviews for the reasons for this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Never been easier to upgrade the PS3, 23 Jun 2009
MyKeyReviews (Hampshire, UK.) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
I bought this as 60GB just isn't enough for a PS3 after installing all the game files and have enough media files also.

I was amazed by how easy it was to install:

1) Get an external hard drive, and go to the PS3 menu and go to system settings then backup all data. (i removed all my media items to make it a more simple process, in all 23GB was backed up)

This will backup your download content, game saves and game installation data.

2) Sync your trophies with all your users

3) Turn off PS3, including mains and take out all cables.

4) Take off the cover on the side of the PS3 which holds the HDD.
undo blue screw, Ping out the metal tab, slide it to the right and remove the PS3 HDD.

5) Unscrew the casing and slide it out, and remove it with your new HDD, screw it back up, pop it back in, slide it to the left (all the way) screw in the blue screw and pop the cover back on.

6) Plug in all cables, turn on the PS3 and it will ask to format the PS3 (this actually took less than 5 seconds to format)

7) Your all done, so all you need to do is restore your system, which you do by going to the menu where you backed up your data, but go to restore. This process took 45min to do, so i sat back and watched abit of The Jeremy Kyle Show.

And your done! everything is backed up, minus the system files ect... you have about 250GB left of storage!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Harddrive for PS3, 8 Oct 2008
I have also bought this harddrive I have had it now for about 6 months now and have put it in my PS3. The hard drive itself seems to work well i have no complaints anyway works fine with a ps3 for anyone that is looking for a HDD replacement. I feel that theres not alot i can say about a HDD apart from it works well.

3.0 out of 5 stars Noisy when seeking if you have it in a laptop, 29 May 2009
Mr. P. M. Tasker "pmtask" (sunderland, uk) - See all my reviews
Reliable, acceptably fast.

Idle noise is good.

Many reckon its quiet but I've had 2 scorpios and both were loud.

My new seagate 320GB 7200.3 is nearly silent when seeking (but the idle noise is slightly louder as it spins quicker), much quicker, and only 10 more.

5.0 out of 5 stars setting it up on ps3, 26 Mar 2009
steven Buckley "sat geek" (manchester uk) - See all my reviews
fitted very easy use small phillips screw driver to prevent damage to screw heads
only issue on turning ps3 back on it did not automatically format it it stated that it could not start and needed software update 2.6
if this hapens to you use a usb stick and create a folder called PS3 then in the PS3 folder create another called UPDATE then go to ps3 website and download update into the UPDATE folder. now place this in usb port and follow instructions
i had to do this method becuase of my model number but still well worth it and now as become a film libary and musuic center do not forget the folders have to be in caps
hope this helps

5.0 out of 5 stars Big storage, fast and quiet, 20 May 2008
Stephen Lodziak (Cambridge, UK) - See all my reviews
100GBs was getting a bit tight for my MacBook Pro 15.4" so I decided to go for this Western Digital 5400 rpm 320GB HDD. Installing was a little fiddly (I recommend other MacBook pro owners look on the internet for a good installation guide) and will void warranty if still valid (in which case you need to get a certified Apple Engineer to do it). But after installation I am very happy - lots of space (about 298GB actual disk space), very fast and incredibly quiet - it makes the original Seagate drive seem quite antiquated. I highly recommend it.

ARRAY(0xaed07fe4)