5.0 out of 5 stars Great Peggy Mount comedy!
Published on 4 Feb 2008 by Luke73

3.0 out of 5 stars Good film poor quality
I like Peggy mount, one of the reasons for buying this DVD. The film is good but not one of her best. I know this goes against the grain of some reviewers but this is my opinion. My main problem though is the quality of the DVD transfer. It has been taken from a video tape and not a 35mm print. Therefore the resolution is poor and it looks like a video rather than a...
Published on 24 Jan 2010 by C. Quinn

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Peggy Mount comedy!, 4 Feb 2008
This review is from: Ladies Who Do [1963] [DVD] (DVD)
Ladies who do is classic british comedy at it's best from the ealing age of film from late 50s early 60s. Peggy Mount and Harry H Corbett give terrific performances as well as the well known supporting cast who you would have seen in somewhere else like Jon Pertwee (Dr Who). Ladies who do is finally coming to DVD. Sadly Peggy Mount's other two classics films on DVD: 'Sailor Beware!' and 'Inn For Trouble' have been deleted due to the company (DD Video) going into administration, but can be found elsewhere on the internet. Buy this DVD when it's release. You won't be disappointed by this classic comedy farce.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great stuff, 14 Jun 2011
D. High (London UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ladies Who Do [1963] [DVD] (DVD)
Unlike most reviewers here, I DID know the film.
I'm 58 now & I remember very clearly my Mum taking me & my mate along to see this. I was 10. Well, actually we wanted to see the movie it was being shown with ~ "It's all Over Town" starring Dusty & the Springfields and The Hollies etc. So we obviously sat through this film too ! (In the days of a good old "two-film, adverts, showing-next, Pathe news" presentation.
I LOVE old British movies ~ went to see a lot of them with my brother at the Croydon ABC or Odeon ~ & never tire of watchin them again.
I remembered this film very well & now own this DVD. A great cast, great script, Peggy at her best, Harry & the rest all doin good too. Every actor recognisable from so many films around that time..... but no Sam Kidd?? Ha !
Also scenes of the no.12 bus which I used to catch every day to school, Capitol House, & lots of familiar outdoor shots. Remember when brickwork was all black from soot? And 60s office tower-blocks were first seen? Love it all.

The story is really enjoyable & has me grinning all the way through. Yep ~ this is a good 'un.

5.0 out of 5 stars A little gem, 27 Mar 2008
This review is from: Ladies Who Do [1963] [DVD] (DVD)
This is a great discovery of a film, genuinely funny. The cast is a who's who of British comedy stalwarts of the early 60s playing to their strengths. Peggy Mount, Dandy Nichols, Miriam Carlin, Harry H Corbett (looking dapper), Robert Morley & Jon Pertwee.

5.0 out of 5 stars Why isn't this wonderful film known??, 23 Jan 2008
This review is from: Ladies Who Do [1963] [DVD] (DVD)
At the time of writing this film is only available for DVD pre-order, but having just noted the forthcoming release I have to say that I'm delighted to learn that it's coming out on DVD.

I found this on video about five years ago for a pound in one of those remainder shops. I'd never heard of it and was surprised by this when I saw the cast, especially as it looks the sort of film that would have been televised in the afternoons in the 70s, maybe it was and I missed it, but, whatever, it was new to me when I saw it lying there. I don't even think I watched it right away - I think it stayed forgotten on the shelf for a couple of months and finally got a viewing when I was bored and rediscovered it while desperately browsing the shelves.

To be perfectly honest, because it was so unknown I thought it would just be one of those cheaply made below average comedies that were churned out at the time (our UK comedy stars weren't too expensive to hire - look at what great Carry On stars got - so getting a reasonable cast together even for a poor film wasn't hard), but it isn't, it's an absolute gem!

It's so long since I saw it that I can't really remember much of the plot now, and I can't even remember all of the cast list, so I know this isn't going to be a great recommendation for some people, but trust me on this - the stellar cast of great British comedy actors are on top form and the clever plot and top comedy leave me extremely puzzled as to why this film is so little known and not ranked alongside the other great British comedies of this period.

Maybe there were distribution problems that gave it a backseat on its original cinema release, but because of the high price of its original video release (I know I got it for a pound, but I'd bought other vids on that label and they were VERY expensive!) it wasn't destined for much of a wider distribution or appreciation the second time round either. I really hope this better Amazon-discounted-priced DVD release finally gives this film the attention it deserves. Hopefully in a year or two I'll be able to revisit this page and see lots of great reviews and ratings for it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ladyzudu, 25 Mar 2013
This review is from: Ladies Who Do [1963] [DVD] (DVD)
I've always been a bit sceptical of Harry H Corbett's acting. it seemed to me that he was a bit of a one trick pony and that once he had done the slightly stupid voice and the eyes had goggled out and peered left and right a few times, there wasn't really all that much else to him. This film bucks the trend and makes me feel considerably ashamed of myself that I had overlooked this man's obvious talent for so long. Corbett plays the baddie here in a curiously under-stated fashion. The effect he pulls off is that he is a ratbag, but a ratbag borne out of innocence as opposed to avarice. This makes the whole film much more that a simple class war, which is how it could easily have been portrayed.

Corbett's delightful acting performance is one thing, but as the title suggests, this film is all about those marvellous ladies. Peggie Mount could turn up on a screen and recite the ingredients of washing powder and I'd find her entertaining; and as a militant charlady she is in almost a too perfect role. The interaction of the ladies with a new-found boss in the guise of the truly marvellous Robert Morley makes for a film that wraps you up in a big fluffy duvet and transports you back to a time when everything in the world made a hell of a lot more sense than it does now.

It's difficult to find anything bad to say about the film and so I suggest you add this to your collection as soon as you can!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great old British comedy classic!, 16 April 2008
FAMOUS NAME (UNITED KINGDOM) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Ladies Who Do [1963] [DVD] (DVD)
Another award-winning performance from the great Peggy Mount! This is a brilliant comedy from the early 60s with an all-star cast.

Robert Morley plays a down-on-his-luck Colonel who employs a char lady (Peggy Mount) who also happens to work as char for a big company. Quite by chance she stumbles upon some valuable information regarding stocks and shares - she, along with her other char lady associates begin to make lots of money!

This is hilarious and gets you chuckling within minutes!

Co-stars include:

Harry H. Corbett,
Miriam Karlin,
Marianne Stone,
Ron Moody
and a whole host of others!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great piece of social history!, 13 Oct 2008
This review is from: Ladies Who Do [1963] [DVD] (DVD)
I'm so glad other reviewers agree with my opinion on Ladies Who Do. It's a fine piece of social history and has some great stars in it. I remember watching it as a child and loved it. I was not disappointed when I saw it again 30 years later. It truly is an age we will never see again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Spot the British character actor, 24 Feb 2011
This review is from: Ladies Who Do [1963] [DVD] (DVD)
A who's who of British comedy talent from the 1960s. A wonderful and inventive musical score from Ron Goodwin is the perfect accompaniment to this rather off-beat comedy film. The location shoot gives this film the feel of a 60s kitchen sink drama, but the list of character actors and the action are pure British comedy. A good film for a wet Saturday afternoon, especially for those who like Peggy Mount's bossy character.

5.0 out of 5 stars ONCE AGAIN THANK YOU TO OUR BRITISH FRIENDS, 29 May 2009
Olivier Comte (Neuilly FRANCE) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ladies Who Do [1963] [DVD] (DVD)
The AMAZON reviews are useful for underrated films or books, or forgotten ones.
I had not forgotten that one but I confess that I didn't know anything about it.
I didn't know PEGGY MOUNT. I'm a fan now. HARRY H. CORBETT is well known and ROBERT MORLEY can be subdued, when he is not playing to the American market.
So I thank the British reviewers who made me buy that wonderful film.
Hilarious! seems to be the catchword for books reviewers of boring sad novels. This picture is not hilarious but witty, funny and very very good. Who can ask for anything more. The street scene is outstanding and should be included in anthologies of British cinema.

4.0 out of 5 stars A nice little comedy, 28 Sep 2010
This review is from: Ladies Who Do [1963] [DVD] (DVD)
This was a nice surprise. The film looked good, the cast was very impressive, the performances delightful and the story, though light and comic, quite an intriguing little slice of very gentle social commentary. It's sort of 'Boulting Brothers-lite'. Well worth a watch.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Ladies Who Do [1963] [DVD]
Ladies Who Do [1963] [DVD] by C.M. Pennington-Richards (DVD - 2008)
12.99