4.0 out of 5 stars A great all-round trailer
I've had this trailer for over a year and I must say I am very happy with it. As a trailer is can accommodate my two sons (6 years and 3 years) although it is a little squashed. I've read concerns about having only one child in there, but its pretty easy to put the child in the middle.

I would agree with a comment I read that is not the most comfortable ride...
Published on 4 Jan 2009 by John Cleary

2.0 out of 5 stars Bumper Duo bike trailer
What a shame ! We looked carefully at the different types of trailers. This one looked really good, nice design, reasonable price etc.
Published on 30 May 2010 by JD

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars A great all-round trailer, 4 Jan 2009
John Cleary (Manchester) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bumper Explorer Duo Child Trailers (Sports)

I would agree with a comment I read that is not the most comfortable ride for the child, especially if there are two in there, but generally if you are within the recommended speed (10kph I think) its fine.

There was one slight problem in that the children would from time to time hid their heads off the two internal bars as the trailer went from side to side while I was turning. However, I've fixed this by putting some pipe lagging over the bars.

It has a large rear pocket which is very useful. I take my son to school and we put his school bag in there. There are cup holders on the inside and it can be converted into a double buggy too (although the lack of break is pretty annoying).

All in all I would recommend this buggy/trailer. I've only given 4 stars because I think it really needs a break when used as a buggy, but for the money you wont do better.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bumper Explorer Duo Trailer - review, 12 Nov 2010
This review is from: Bumper Explorer Duo Child Trailers (Sports)
I spent many days searching all possible trailers. There are cheaper ones on some auction sites but I believe you get what you pay for and the Bumper Duo is only 20 more.

I am an engineer and look closely at the design and assembly, and the materials and fixings used. The Bumper is Both sturdy and robust. I have read complaints about stiching at the seat and wheels that seem to be a bit loose. I have no such problems; the stiching is very sound and although there is a little play on the wheels, this is not uncommon for this type of arrangement and remember this is a trailer (i.e. being dragged behind a bike, there is no power to the wheels) and presents no mechanical problem to me.

I also looked closely at the connection systems from bike to trailer. The Bumper is very simple and mechanically very sound. I did not won't a trailer which uses clamps to the bike frame, these are inherently weak and more likely to fail (have read reviews of clamps failling and back wheels being destroyed). The Bumper has a steel fitting which you fit under the rear wheel axle nut, this is connected to the tow bar of the trailer with a pin and lock arrangement. As with all trailers there is a fail safe strap which ties onto the bike frame incase the mechanical fixing fails. In my opinion, under normal use and properly fitted the mechanical fixing cannot fail. I needed this confidence before I would purchase any trailer.

Wheels and towing arm remove and fold very simply and easily (very safe too), and the whole thing can be put up or down in 30 seconds. Folds flat and small enough for any car.

Option of fitting front wheel and push handle for stroller works just as well. Unlike some other models the Bumper front wheel is underneath at the front, with the tow bar folded away (some have fixed tow bar with the front wheel on it, looks naff and not practical).

Sure you can spend more (and I mean you have to spend a lot more, like maybe 300) before you get to the next range of trailer. Of course these are the 'daddy' or 'rolls royce' of the trailer world, but like the rolls well out of my league!

There are many acurate reviews however regarding the problem of wearing a helmet and heads being pushed forward by the back of the seat in the trailer. The decision is yours, slight uncomfort for safety or not. At the end of the day I only take the trailer off road for leisure, and never go that fast so my boy was safe with the harnesses and no helmet.

Conclusion - my research paid off; can't get better for the money, and far better than models that are only slightly cheaper.

Hope this helps folks (like I was) new to the world of trailers. Best advice, just go for it the little one love it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Bumper Duo bike trailer, 30 May 2010
This review is from: Bumper Explorer Duo Child Trailers (Sports)
But the first one arrived on a Saturday morning and within an hour of use the seat stitching under the rear window had come away. This made the seat useless and so I returned it. We thought it must be a one off problem so we ordered another.

That arrived on the Tuesday. My two year old son now, already thrilled with his "bike car"!
Within a couple of hours the seat came away in exactly the same place under the rear net window !

How depressing ! My son is not over weight, probably about 15 kilos ! The Bumper duo is supposed to be able to carry up to 45 kilos, so it is clearly a design fault or perhaps just poor manufacturing.
This time I've asked for a refund and we'll have to find something else which is better made. This will probably mean spending quite a lot more !
It's a huge pity because my son loves going to nursery school and the local park in it.

The people who make these things need to redesign the seat so it is stronger. The part which has frayed and comes away, is exactly where the main weight is distributed. I am sure we are not he only ones to have suffered from this !

Now, after two dodgy ones we are faced with either paying quite a lot more for a better one to keep our little one happy or giving up !

4.0 out of 5 stars The best trailer for this price!, 28 Nov 2009
This review is from: Bumper Explorer Duo Child Trailers (Sports)
I've had this trailer for 18 months. I have two children, currently 2 and 4, so the youngest was just 1 when we started using it. It is really lightweight and I can easily cycle my boys to and from nursery approximately 3 miles. There is plenty of storage in the rear pocket. It is pretty weather proof for the kids - they are always toasty even if there is snow, wind or rain.

The ride for the kids is fine - although they don't wear their helmets as the seat seems to tip their heads too far forward when they wear them. There is a roll bar on the frame so in the event of a tipping accident there is protection. The harness is five point and secure. That said, the roads we use are poorly maintained and pothole ridden and it has remained stable and steady - although it bounces a bit when empty.

If I had a criticism of it, it would be the visibility from the rear. It is grey with just a reflective strip. I've added a hi-viz jacket to improve it.

4.0 out of 5 stars kids love it, 26 Aug 2009
This review is from: Bumper Explorer Duo Child Trailers (Sports)
easy to fit and tow. i have twins aged 3years and this is a little squashed for two with helmets bumping off each other. not padded much and straps are a little akward for sizing but overall the kids love it and its a real treat for them. like all these trailers i wouldnt use them on the road for safety reasons/traffic but its fine and stable on smooth paths. the plastic cover/window at the front doesnt stay up to well but the kids prefer it down anyway.
good value for money and folds down easily for storage.

4.0 out of 5 stars slight problem but easy sorted, 21 Aug 2012
This review is from: Bumper Explorer Duo Child Trailers (Sports)
bought this product and love the design, easy to put together and folds away as easy as a childs buggy, the problem i had was the wheels coming off, on inspection i noticed the quick release wheel devices had been installed incorrectly at production,
when you look at the wheel axles there is a groove for the device to lock onto this is about a third of the way from the end of the axle point, the axle has to pass entirely through the block to give the wheel stability and when i offered the wheels to the block they locked on before they passed through the other side and this made the wheels unstable and eventually one came off, there are four bolts that hold the wheel locking device and by swapping the right and left over the wheels are now secure and pass right through, this could have been worse than it was has i was traveling with my 4 year old on a main highway when the nearside wheel came off.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dissapointing, 7 July 2012
This review is from: Bumper Explorer Duo Child Trailers (Sports)
Had this trailer for a year now and it about to be replaced. Within the first 6 months the seat fabric had torn across the mesh. It has been used carefully and not abused. The weather cover doesn't fasten down properly and often flicks up which to my mind is dangerous, as the children are no longer protected from debris or protection from the weather. The tyres are garbage and will wear out very quickly. The harness system is fiddly and not overly comfortable. The luggage area is uncovered. Numerous fitting are feeling loose eg. plastic mounts for wheels etc, these cannot be easily tightened. After a year it is fit the tip so that's where it is going. Perhaps I am being overly harsh and it may well suit you, if you only intend to use it a few times in good weather for example if you want to use it more regularly look elsewhere.

3.0 out of 5 stars bumper explorer duo, 9 Jun 2012
This review is from: Bumper Explorer Duo Child Trailers (Sports)
After reading many review i took the plunge and got the bumper explorer.
the good parts ... its an attractive trailer , great because its so vented or not if the case maybe,it pulls well behind, and is very steady. there is loads of room in the trailer with one child for a pic-nic , the back pocket is really good for school bags.
bad parts, ...... this is the 3rd one , the first one there was a rip in the fabric, so we return it , the second one we brought from amazon and the frame was badly scratched, the third one we kept, and in all honesty the fabric is so very tight and poorly put together , hence the rip in fabric , we have had to undo the fixing on the front to allow some give in the fabric , to hold the weight of a child, so needs to be modified .
also you need lights on the back as its not visible in daylight let alone dusk.
my daughter loves it though, and school runs are faster, and gives me exercise .
there are a lot of bad points and im sure if more attention top detail was put in by the company who makes it, it would be a super buy , because it really could be great and worthy of 5 stars, so if you purchase this be sure to modify it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful quality, 24 April 2011
This review is from: Bumper Explorer Duo Child Trailers (Sports)
Purchased on the Wednesday. Stitching went within a week. Children 20kg below weight limit, but it was unuseable. Don't buy, waste of time. Full refund given though. Wish I had read reviews first

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 10 Mar 2010
This review is from: Bumper Explorer Duo Child Trailers (Sports)
This was excatly what I needed, a simple, cheap, easy to fold up, erect and attach Trailer. It runs really well due to its big wheels, is a little snug for my two (4 and 2) but they do love it. The conversion to a stroller is easy and makes it very useful.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›