5.0 out of 5 stars Who are these guys?? Absolutely brilliant!!, 2 May 2008
P. H. Lefebvre (Buckinghamshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Grand Archives (Audio CD)
I knew nothing about The Grand Archives before buying this CD - I liked the cover and a lot of what Sub Pop Records releases. I know a little more now - main songwriter Mat Brooke having been in Carissa's Wierd and Band of Horses at one time but forget all that for now. What you need to know is this is a stunning CD and I can't stop listening to it. How to describe the music?? I can't categorise it. Probably if you like Iron & Wine and Band of Horses or My Morning Jacket you will like this. The songs are beautiful and they're all good...very melodic with lyrics that are completely 'mad' but in a wonderful way. For example "Sweet jolly jammers and a dugan charge, burning down the prairie on a victory barge". The music will get you first - then looking at the lyrics is an added bonus. I have never left a review before....this made me. Buy it....it's made my year!!

4.0 out of 5 stars The new dinner party album, 3 Dec 2009
Tommy Dooley "Tom" (London, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Grand Archives (Audio CD)
I knew the red Hot Chilli Peppers were bad but I truly knew they were God-awful when 'friends' played thier latest assault on good taste that was masquerading as an 'album' at one of thier 'dinner parties' (if ever there was a phrase that was an oxymoron that has to be it).
And so to the review; I played this at one (dinner moron) last week and it was perfect background musak as the truly melodious harmonies and well crafted and catchy tunes just blended into the background. They reminded me instantly of a cross between The Delays and the earlier work of Melborne combo, The Sleepy Jackson.
That said I think The Grand Archives are much better and after giving them a proper listen or two they really are much more impressive than either of the two bands I compared them to. They tend to repetition on occasions but have enough originality and enthusiasm to carry the whole album. Well worth a punt.

The Grand Archives
The Grand Archives by Grand Archives (Audio CD - 2008)