5.0 out of 5 stars Like he`s never been gone
Ronald Wycherley (1940-83) was a soulful voiced singer from Liverpool who became Billy Fury, just like Terry Nelhams was turned into Adam Faith and Harry Webb is better known as Cliff Richard. The difference is that Billy Fury was and remains the
Published on 23 Nov 2011 by GlynLuke

3.0 out of 5 stars Wonderous story
I already had at least 75% of the recordings elsewhere in my collection, but all in all not too shabby
Published 23 months ago by Mr. M. J. Kavanagh

5.0 out of 5 stars Like he`s never been gone, 23 Nov 2011
GlynLuke (York UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: His Wondrous Story - The Complete Collection (Audio CD)
only credible `British Elvis`, as he has often been called, though Roy Orbison might be a more suitable US singer with which to compare him. Adam Faith had a rather weedy voice, and Cliff, for all his considerable talent, sounded too cosy, the rock`n`roll mannerisms just too pre-fabricated. Billy was cool, looked great, sang with soul and elan, and seemed less of a `family entertainer` than most of his peers.
Listening to this generous 75-minute, 29-track compilation brings home just how consistently compelling Fury was, and what a sadly early death he had at only 42.
There`s nothing quite like hearing him sing one of the dramatic ballads for which he`s perhaps most remembered and loved. They are all here: Halfway To Paradise, Like I`ve Never Been Gone, the wonderful Last Night Was Made For Love, Once Upon A Dream, his cover of the Elvis song Because Of Love, In Thoughts Of You, the tremendous Run To My Lovin` Arms, I Will, his version of It`s Only Make Believe (eclipsing Conway Twitty`s original, though equalled by Glen Campbell`s soaring interpretation), the splendid When Will You Say I Love You, and others.
This exemplary compilation, easily the best one so far, opens with the marvellously overwrought Jealousy (originally a tango instrumental, Jalousie, by a Dane called Jacob Gade!) and is programmed sensibly - rare enough with compilations - so that not all the early tracks, such as Colette and Margo Don`t Go, are heard first, but are encountered in the midst of the big hits.
The booklet is a mine of information about this `gentle, humorous and self-effacing man`, who had a weak heart, a love of animals, and a stong sense of both his worth and privacy. Seldom has a singer from a bygone age had such loyal fans, but it is not often that one can listen to someone who still sounds vital and timeless fifty or so years after the songs which made his name. They haven`t dated at all.
His Wondrous Story ends with Billy`s beautifully sung version of Bobby Rydell`s earlier hit Forget Him.
Forget him? I don`t think so.

5.0 out of 5 stars The A sides, 27 Jun 2011
n3_biker (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: His Wondrous Story - The Complete Collection (Audio CD)
Billy's hits have been repackaged over and over again, but if you've resisted up till now, this is the one to go for. All 29 of his UK chart entries are here in good sound, 26 from his impressive heyday, 1959 to 1966, and three from the attempted comeback in 1982-83, just prior to his untimely death. The fan base remains loyal, but I have to admit that I find most of this pretty bland. I loved "In Summer" at the time, but it sounds pretty twee now. "Do You Really Love Me Too" is my favourite here. The rest are mainly big ballads, covers of American hits such as "It's Only Make Believe", "A Thousand Stars" and "I Will". He does them full justice, it just all leaves me a bit unmoved. Hardly a "complete" collection, but a bargain even if you only want to hear a few of the songs.

5.0 out of 5 stars His Wondrous Story really is one worth telling., 25 Dec 2008
Flickering Ember "I need a break and I wanna ... (Once Upon A Long Ago.) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: His Wondrous Story - The Complete Collection (Audio CD)
I bought this album on the strength of a handful of songs I had heard and enjoyed, such as Collette, Maybe Tomorrow and Margo, Don't Go. I think it's fantastic value for money, as you get 29 tracks all one disc.

I am not very familiar with Billy Fury's work so I cannot comment so much on whether or not any really significant songs have been missed out, but I can say that I loved every one I heard on this CD, and that it seems to me that they've got the best songs on here.

Gloriously nostalgic, this album transports you back through the decades and you can imagine listening to it in a dance hall. Even I can, and I'm only 23. Easy listening at its finest; the only Fury around here was mine, wondering why it took me so long to get my hands on a copy of this brilliant compilation which I think is an excellent summary of Billy Fury's musical offerings.

5.0 out of 5 stars Billy Fury, Gt. Britains Elvis?, 29 Sep 2010
Lewcol (East Anglia, U.K) - See all my reviews
This review is from: His Wondrous Story - The Complete Collection (Audio CD)
Just to hear the opening bars of 'Halfway to Paradise', takes me back instantly to my teenage years in the early sixties, pre. Beatles, when artists like Billy Fury ruled the Btitish charts. Many people will say that Cliff Richard was Britains Elvis, but in fact that was never really true and that accolade belonged much more to Billy Fury.This is a really great collection of Billy Furys songs with all his great hits including 'Wondrous Place', ' Halfway to Paradise' and 'Last Night was Made for Love'. If you like the music of this era, then treat youself to this great album from a great rocker from the sixties.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Classic, 22 July 2010
Having always had an interest in early 1950's /1960's rock and roll I was prompted by Brain Matthew on his Sound of the Sixties programme to listen again at Billy Fury. I have early Elvis and Mary Wilde recording plus many by Duane Eddy and Chet Atkins. I am pleased I listened again and now recoomend this collection to you. Billy Fury was a great British talent. I did see him perform once with the Tornados at the Odeon, St Albans which was a greta show and included Joe Brown.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best, 17 April 2009
Ms. Gillian D. Barr "gibarr" (Edinburgh,Mid-Lothian,Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: His Wondrous Story - The Complete Collection (Audio CD)
I barely remeber Billy Fury when I was a youngster but after listening to this album I'll make sure I'll be listening to more. He was one of the best British rockers ever and a pity there aren't more like him in this day and age.

5.0 out of 5 stars 'A GREAT REFLECTION OF 'BILLY FURY'S' BEST LOVED SONGS', 12 May 2014
rbmusicman (U.K) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: His Wondrous Story - The Complete Collection (Audio CD)
'Billy Fury' was one of many great artist's that started gracing our Charts
in the late 50's.
'Billy' did have a very commercial vocal ability which brought him quite a
loyal following among the music fans of the day, leading to a run of twenty
six Top 40 hits between 1959 -1965.
The first of his 45's I purchased was way back in 62' that was 'Last Night
was Made For Love'
I did have a CD or two of his, however when glancing at this CD I began
to realize that there were several of his well known releases I just didn't
have, so I have added this to my music collection.
He really did have an impressive run in the U.K charts between the six
year period mentioned, though he never quite topped the chart, of his Twenty
Six Top 40 entries nineteen were in fact Top 20 successes, and Ten of those
peaked in the Top 10 those being - 'Colette' (Chart 9 '1959) 'Halfway To
Paradise' (Chart 3 '1961') 'Jealousy' (Chart 2 '1961') 'I'll Never Find Another
You' (Chart 5 '1961) 'Last Night Was Made For Love' (Chart 4 '1962) 'Once
Upon A Dream' (Chart 7 '1962') 'Like I've Never Been Gone' (Chart 3 '1963')
'When Will you say I Love You' (Chart 3 '1963') 'In Summer' (Chart 5 '1963')
'It's Only Make Believe' (Which of course was a late fifties hit for 'Conway
Twitty) (Chart 10 '1964') and 'In Thoughts of You' (Chart 9 '1965) though he
continued to have a couple of lower order hits after 1965, he never repeated
his success of earlier times, though he did continue writing songs into the
early Eighties.
Sadly after years of struggling with illness 'Billy Fury' died January 28th 1983
he was only 42 years of age.
This album is a great reflection of his well known songs and does include all
the Top 10 hits I've mentioned along with several more of his Chart entries.

5.0 out of 5 stars memories, 16 Oct 2013
This review is from: His Wondrous Story - The Complete Collection (Audio CD)
This item arrived within two days.This brought back many memories from time gone by and would always put billy fury on the juke box in the coffee bars with my girlfriend.My favourite was Jelousey and Because of you .LOVE IT

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderous indeed,, 7 Sep 2014
This review is from: His Wondrous Story - The Complete Collection (Audio CD)
Sadly, billy fury was very underrated whilst he was alive and this collection of his best songs will show just how good a singer he really was.listen closely to his version of "it's only make believe" and you will sense the emotional feeling billy put into that song.As with several of the tracks on this collection,billy sang with a real depth of feeling which made him different to many other singers of his era.from his 1st hit to the last one ,just weeks before his untimely death,each one is a real gem.

5.0 out of 5 stars music to my ears, 31 Jan 2014
This review is from: His Wondrous Story - The Complete Collection (Audio CD)
Had this brought for me as a present. Havent stopped listening to it since ive had it.
Got all the hit songs on it. Very good sound track of old songs.

His Wondrous Story - The Complete Collection
His Wondrous Story - The Complete Collection by Billy Fury (Audio CD - 2008)