5.0 out of 5 stars Good, strong basket!
Published on 12 Mar 2011 by Buffalo1652

3.0 out of 5 stars Fixings supplied don't fit
This is an Adie Large Rear Wire Basket.

The basket itself appears well made and a very good size and as such I'd like to keep it.

Published on 5 Jun 2009 by Panda

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, strong basket!, 12 Mar 2011
Buffalo1652 (West Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rear Wire Rack Fit Basket (Sports)
I'm very pleased with the basket. It's quite robust, a perfect size and design, and has a plastic coating which looks as though it will last for ever. The only drawback was that when I opened the package I found that all that remained of the fitting kit were two black bolts with nuts. However, I was able to fit the basket using cable ties, and this method proved very satisfactory. I really do think that the basket fully deserves five stars, although I was tempted to deduct a star due to the missing fitting kit.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fixings supplied don't fit, 5 Jun 2009
Panda (SW. England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rear Wire Rack Fit Basket (Sports)
This is an Adie Large Rear Wire Basket.

I was disappointed to discover that not only are the screws too short to use, but the supplied metal bars/brackets are not long enough to enable securing the basket to my pannier rack i.e. the inner metal rods of my pannier rack that you're supposed to fix the brackets around, are just slightly too wide apart for the brackets. Check yours, the max distance these brackets can cope with is 11.5cm.

If your pannier/basket rack is *thick* metal, the fixings won't work for you, also, if your pannier rack bends slightly up at the back, the fixings won't fix. Lastly, if like me your saddle is at the lowest position, it's possible that the basket won't fit under it. You can fix the basket a little further back though...as long as that pannier/basket rack of yours doesn't bend up slightly at the back!

So I'm off to a DIY store to find a workaround then....longer flat metal brackets that I'll have to drill holes through, and longer screws. Sigh.

4.0 out of 5 stars could be better, 9 Mar 2012
This review is from: Rear Wire Rack Fit Basket (Sports)
The basket arrived in a huge box, with a lot of packing paper inside. A mangled plastic bag was attached to the basket with a couple nuts and bolts inside. Loose in the box were more screw type bolts and some fasteners. Not all the pieces were there, and I'm guessing are kicking around in a mail van somewhere, or just never made it in the box to start. While the basket itself is great, the attachments that came with it were too short to work, and half were missing. I had to go out and by more fixings separately.

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful and keeps bicycle narrow., 23 Nov 2012
This review is from: Rear Wire Rack Fit Basket (Sports)
Well made and well thought out. Extremely light and will probably bend rather easily but I've not forced too much into it yet. Plastic coating should deliver a long life (except I have managed to damage it a bit ... what hard, sharp item did I put in there?!).

Comes with inconvenient bolt-on clamps but most people will use cable-ties (gentler on the plastic coating of the basket and the paint on the rack). I've gone one better and used cable-ties to hold it to a board, creating a clip-on/clip-off fitting. Go-ahead manufacturers could do a lot more and provide this feature as standard.

A basket is more convenient than panniers, especially if you bring the cycle indoors (panniers get damaged even if I'm careful). Content security is a worry - never put a handbag in this basket unless you've looped the handle over the seat - or clipped it to the underside of the seat with a carabinier.

However, carrying capacity is good, and here's a tip. Put a row of bottles vertically down the middle of the basket - then hang shopping bags on each side! You can easily carry as much as you'd have done with panniers!

The advertising tab at the back is perfect for clipping on a rear-light - a feature you may not need - but could be useful.

4.0 out of 5 stars What a Catch!, 11 Dec 2013
Smooth Rider. (Derby/Nottingham.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rear Wire Rack Fit Basket (Sports)
This item actually arrived a lot earlier than expected, nice but then it turns out it's only up the road from me any way!
It's actually labled just 'Adie' not Raleigh, not that that makes any difference.
It's black plastic coated wire and measures approx 36cm long x 22cm high x 22.5cm wide at the bottom and 25.5cm wide at the top, as it has a slightly bigger opening at the top.
The chamfered open end is ideal and I suggest best for fitting to the front, under the seat overhang.
It comes with 2 x pairs on flat black painted steel plates plus nuts/bolts/washers for fixing it to a cycle rack, that are pre-drilled with 1 x pair of holes per bracket.
I did find that the holes in the fixings brackets were in the wrong place for my rack (ie too wide), so be prepared for some drilling, I also added a spring washer after fitting each nut/bolt/washer, to reduce the likelyhood of it working it's way loose!
I also found it didn't quite sit on my rack as flat as I would of liked, as my rack curves up at both the front and rear, so be ready for some adjustments if your rack isn't totally flat!
I've maked it down a star as I would of expected a second pair of pre-drilled holes for the fixing brackets!

4.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy well made, good sized basket, shame about the fittings!, 6 July 2011
This review is from: Rear Wire Rack Fit Basket (Sports)
This is a stong, well made basket perfectly fitted for any standard panier. Perfect for a big bag of shopping or two small ones. Very happy it does the job when fitted.

After I read previous reviews I was hesitant to purchase the item because of the comments about the bracket length. Sadly I would have to agree. After trying to get the fittings on I was just about to to return this item, because I do not have the time nor money to be shopping around for the correct fittings. I decided to have one more go getting the brackets on.
I managed to get the brackets on by going right towards the end of the panier where is starts to curve.

I would have given this item five stars if the brackets provided were longer and easy to fit, but not everyone will be able to work around this problem as not all paniers are exactly the same. I only received 3 out of 4 washers and nuts and instructions would have been good. The company should check all correct fittings are with the item and perhaps provide longer brackets.

Aside from this, the basket is good value for money and will make my shopping a lot easier.
A happy Customer :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent bike basket, 8 Feb 2012
This review is from: Rear Wire Rack Fit Basket (Sports)
The basket is a decent size, sturdy and durable - it's perfect for my needs. As stated in other reviews the bolts, screws and brackets are pretty much useless - although the screws were long enough, the brackets weren't and the screw holes lined up exactly against the bars of my pannier rack, without the option to push them one way or the other (plus there are no instructions - although it is fairly self explanatory). However, I was prepared for this after reading the other reviews before I bought it and I just used lots of cable ties either end and along the sides and it seems to be sufficiently robust.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rear Wire Rack Fit Basket by Adie, 16 Feb 2012
This review is from: Rear Wire Rack Fit Basket (Sports)
Despite some negative reviews on this item, I found the basket to be strong and well made. All the fixings came with it and it was so very easy to fit to my rear carrier.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not strong enough, 12 Oct 2012
Andrew Dyson (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rear Wire Rack Fit Basket (Sports)
This basket has lasted less than a year. My daughter uses it for her school bag, which is quite heavy. Less than a year later, many of the metal wires have broken.
Also, it is worth saying that the mechanism for fastening it to your luggage rack is also poor. I used to have one that had a metal plate on the bottom; I just screwed that to the top of my luggage rack - worked great.

5.0 out of 5 stars My bike basket., 12 Aug 2011
This review is from: Rear Wire Rack Fit Basket (Sports)
I love this basket for my bike .Its a nice large size so i can fit plenty off shopping on to it.Like some one suggested i used plastic strips for fixing it onto the bike rack not the brackets that came with it.Thit works fine and makes it easy to remove if i want to .The plastic strips are the sort of things sold in DIY stores and hard ware .

Rear Wire Rack Fit Basket