4.0 out of 5 stars A surprisingly good film from those crazy guys at The Asylum
Published on 18 May 2008 by Daniel Jolley

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid at all costs
A film with no redeeming features of any kind; avoid at all costs. You have been warned.

To describe the script, acting, characterisation and effects as risible is to give it too much credit.
Published on 3 Mar 2010 by harpoon guns to 'safe', please

4.0 out of 5 stars A surprisingly good film from those crazy guys at The Asylum, 18 May 2008
Daniel Jolley "darkgenius" (Shelby, North Carolina USA) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: I Am Omega [2007] [DVD] (DVD)
The Asylum, with its string of knock-off films such as Transmorphers, Snakes on a Train, and The DaVinci Treasure, has garnered many a negative review over the past few years, but these guys seem to have stepped in something pretty good with I Am Omega. While Will Smith's I Am Legend is more of a new adaptation of Richard Matheson's classic horror novel I Am Legend, let's consider I Am Omega a remake of The Omega Man starring Charlton Heston (which was in turn a remake of The Last Man on Earth starring Vincent Price, which was itself based on Matheson's novel). I have heard that this low-budget film was shot in less than two weeks, a fact which doesn't inspire much confidence, and it definitely displays a number of flaws, but I'll be doggoned if I didn't enjoy this movie quite a bit.

Mark Dacascos plays Renchard, seemingly the sole survivor of a mysterious plague or virus that turned all of his friends and neighbors into mindless zombies. We don't know how long he has been living a life of solitude, but it has to have been a pretty good while because his hold on sanity has become pretty slippery. He talks to a dressed-up dummy, suffers from hallucinations, and takes all sorts of unidentified pills to get by. It's perfectly understandable, especially since he doesn't have the luxury of monster-free days - since this film populates the world with zombies instead of vampires, Renchard has to be on-guard constantly when he is out making his rounds. Things could be worse, though. For wholly unexplainable reasons, the power is still on and he still has access to the Internet. He also has his house rigged up to alert him of any zombie intruders, but it's far from a fortified sanctuary for him. Of course, once all the bombs he has systematically placed all over Los Angeles explode, the resident zombie population should be drastically reduced. Of course, the best-laid plans of mice and men ... but to say more would be to give away too much of the story.

The most obvious weakness of I Am Omega is character development. Aside from the loss of his wife and son, we really learn nothing about Renchard's life before the zombie apocalypse, and as such I had trouble forging any kind of strong emotional connection with the guy. In Matheson's original novel and most adaptations of it, the main character's background is a central part of the story. We are also left completely in the dark as to how the zombie apocalypse came about. I can't say I was all that impressed with the zombies populating Renchard's world, either - oh, they look great (this film's special effects are really impressive given the limited budget), but they are just way too easy to kill. One shot (even if it's in an arm or a leg) and they're down for the count (sadly, there's only one satisfying head shot in the whole movie); our protagonist, however, can take multiple bullets and still man up and take care of business. And, as I've already mentioned, it's just ludicrous to think that the Internet would still be operating normally this long after man has become all but extinct.

The negatives weren't enough to ruin my enjoyment of the film, however. Aside from the basic premise, the story differentiates itself nicely from The Omega Man and The Last Man on Earth, forging its own identity somewhere between the two. Additionally, the zombie-killing action is enhanced by Dacascos' martial arts prowess - it's not every day you see a dude take out a gang of zombies with numchuks and wheelhouse kicks. I actually have quite a fondness for The Asylum and its growing number of horrible B-movies, but I Am Omega deserves better than to be lumped together with the likes of Universal Soldiers and AVH: Alien vs. Hunter. I hope those who have given up on The Asylum will give this film a chance because it's actually pretty good.

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprsingly good, 20 Oct 2009
I quite liked this film. First of all, Dacassos really gives a great and very intense performance as the lone survivor of a plague. To me Dacassos is more believable than Smith in the big budget version. What I think Furst did better than any film version of Matheson's novel is in the first 30 minutes to play with the concept of what is real and what is imagination. Admitedly, he sometimes aklmost lifted dialogue verbatim from the Omega Man but then again look at what Danny Boyle did in 28 Days Later. There obviously are budgetary restraints but within that framework Furst works pretty effectively. There are some really great shots and visually as well as in terms of the timing and drmaturgy I think the film is actually well made. You have to bear in mind that the problem with most b or rather c films is that they are simply downright boring and that's something that never happens in this film. So when I'm giving 4/5, I'm not comparing this to Citizen Kane but within the framework of what the Furst sets out to do he acutally succeeds.

4.0 out of 5 stars well made, 16 Sep 2009
This review is from: I Am Omega [2007] [DVD] (DVD)
I quite liked this film. First of all, Dacassos really gives a great and very intense performance as the lone survivor of a plague. To me Dacassos is more believable than Smith in the big budget version. What I think Furst did better than any film version of Matheson's novel is in the first 30 minutes to play with the concept of what is real and what is imagination. Admitedly, he sometimes aklmost lifted dialogue verbatim from the Omega Man but then again look at what Danny Boyle did in 28 Days Later. There obviously are budgetary restraints but within that framework Furst works pretty effectively bearing in mind that the budget was about 100.000 $! There are some really great shots and visually as well as in terms of the timing and drmaturgy I think the film is actually well made. You have to bear in mind that the problem with most b or rather c films is that they are simply downright boring and that's something that never happens in this film. So when I'm giving 4/5, I'm not comparing this to Citizen Kane but within the framework of what the Furst sets out to do he acutally succeeds.

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid at all costs, 3 Mar 2010

4.0 out of 5 stars "..ASYLUM MADE A GOOD FILM..?..", 1 May 2012
S. Drury "SDX-800" (U.K) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I Am Omega [2007] [DVD] (DVD)
This movie by far does not deserve a one star review, im a big lover of films big and small as long as they are done well, and I am omega was pretty entertaining! Ok it may take a bit of story from Omega man and I am legend but who cares, for a low budget movie the cast was good, Mark Dacascos is a good actor and is not in enough good roles that he deserves, the effects where pretty good, the zombie latex make-up effects are well done and action shots with blood etc are carefully done and cut well together for cheap effect. The story is simple but done quite well, I would say this was better than I am legend in some respects, this film may have a tad cheap CGI effects but hell I am legend had loads and it was ridiculous! Dont be put off, buy it for the cheap low price you just may get into it and like it for what it is.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another Brilliant for the Budget, this time with a decent actor!, 19 April 2009
J. James "Simple Reviewer" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I Am Omega [2007] [DVD] (DVD)
This is definitely the best film I've seen from The Asylum so far. The acting is good and the action is mediocre, you can actually watch this film and treat it as an actual movie.

Mark dacascos gives a half decent performance as Renchard, there a few good surprises throughout the movie for instance the zombie jumping out the dustbin, now that's what I call original.

Although I liked Mark dacascos in this movie the other characters were kind of unnecessary, I mean in the trailer it does say "Last Man on Earth".

Another factor I disliked was the Mactosh computers, but I am not going to grumble about a piece of Hardware. The scenes involving the messaging between Dacascos and Jennifer felt rushed and poorly done.

For all you movie goers out there, Consider I AM OMEGA. It's a decent flick for its poor budget and the zombies are pretty kickass. Just don't go expecting a masterpiece because you won't get it.

Nice one Asylum, I hope "The Terminators" turns out to be like this.

3.0 out of 5 stars A few niggles, 1 Oct 2008
This review is from: I Am Omega [2007] [DVD] (DVD)
I like the book I am Legend, it's a classic and I make an attempt to keep up with the film versions. With this film I had a problem straight out of the gate. He's all alone surrounded by mutants that attack day or night; so why is he living in a house with large glass door and windows surrounded only by a wire fence? OK there's an alarm system but it's really unsecure. If he's in California/south USA why not a house with a nice big Adobe wall? It's also not so clear how much time has gone by since the plague - some of the other films used calendars effectively. I liked the acting, he's not too bad on the angst and paranoia. So I guess this film gets a 3 rating. That first niggle stays with you through the film, these mutants are everywhere, get a secure place man!!!! Film made me really jumpy so it works in that way.

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth the viewing, 20 Aug 2014
This is an Asylum version of a movie filmed several times eg: The Last Man On Earth, The Omega Man & I Am Legend. I enjoyed this movie a great deal. If you enjoy rip off movies then buy this one as it is quite well made and in my oppinion well worth the viewing.

3.0 out of 5 stars Quite good, 23 Feb 2012
This review is from: I Am Omega [2007] [DVD] (DVD)
I watched this the other day. In keeping with everyone else I thought it was quite good and one of the better Asylum pictures. The first half of the movie is him alone and closely follows the plot of the Omega man. Then just like the omega man he needs to rescue a captured colleague. The movie goes off the rails at this point and turns into the usual budget fodder which does not make a whole lot of sense. Which is a same as it could have been a 5 star movie so easily. This movie is definitely worth watching. I am giving it 3 stars but its a 7 out of 10 movie.

2.0 out of 5 stars Watch it for the lolz, 4 May 2009
Wj Lock "Wezi" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I Am Omega [2007] [DVD] (DVD)
I have to admit, I purchased I am Omega simply for the Lolz. This was the first 'mockbuster' I have watched, and I must admit, what I got wasn't what I was entirely expecting.

Matheson
Anyone remotely aware of Richard Matheson's classic novel 'I am Legend' will have an idea of what to expect. Although this is only loosely based on Matheson's book.

Personally I've not enjoyed any of the films as much as I enjoyed Matheson's great work of fiction, including I am Legend, of which this title was attempting to 'cash-in'

What you might enjoy are a few things I found Amusing.

* There is the fact that he is able to use electricity in his home despite the apocalyptic setting.

* As well as ascertaining free electricity, it appears that the lead is also able to access the internet. At least it's good to know that the 'ol internet companies can keep you going in a time of zombie apocolypse.

* The fact that after getting shot in his arms and legs, the hero is still able to push start a car UP a hill.

* The special effects are anything but special. Anyone with a computer can pull of most of the effects in the movie. Videocopilot could teach these people a thing or two.

Now there are some nicer moments earlier on. I thought some of the moments where the lead is on his own were quite endearing, and some of my favourite aspects of the book. However, it soon changed into something which could have easily been scrawled on the back of a cornflakes packet.

Buy it, watch it, laugh at it. Then make sure you read Richard Matheson's classic book.

I Am Omega [2007] [DVD]
I Am Omega [2007] [DVD] by Mark Dacascos (DVD - 2008)
2.75