4.0 out of 5 stars Good card
Published on 12 Aug 2012 by M. Eyre

3.0 out of 5 stars sounds great but not worth it with the flaky drivers
My first impressions of this card were good - Flac and Wav files sound outstanding (it has a great DAC and nice OP-AMPS). Unfortunately the drivers that come with this card are outstandingly awful...

Firstly the ASIO drivers have latency issues - when you are bundling in Ableton/Cakewalk with your soundcard it would be a good idea to make sure your ASIO drivers...
Published on 9 April 2011 by Simon

4.0 out of 5 stars Good card, 12 Aug 2012
M. Eyre "Meyre" (Darlaston England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: ASUS Xonar D2X/XDT - Sound card - 118 dB SNR - 7.1 - PCI Express x1 [PC] (Personal Computers)
Bought this card over a year ago now and have been amazed at the very accurate 3D placement of sounds compared to creatives offerings, I wouldn't go back to a soundblaster even if you payed me, driver support for their cards is abysmal. One thing to be aware of though regards the Xonar and that it has been reported and experienced buy this user that problems with the EEPROM being overwritten in some circumstances especially when re installing the OS! However Asus have up to date failed to address the situation even though widely reported. A fix for it can be found by googling xonar eeprom failure.

5.0 out of 5 stars d2x is classy, 15 Mar 2010
I read something somewhere on Asus' site that said this card has around 30 times better sound quality than on-board sound. Prior to this card I was using the Asus Gene 2's on-board sound chip and even though it was acceptable for my Windows beeps and blips, Youtube vids and powering my low end Logitech 5.1 pc speakers, the quality was not high enough for my AKGs nor high enough for listening to good music. It was between this and Creative's top product and I wanted top audio quality so I went this way.

This card's audio quality is amazing. Music gives me eargasms again and I hear twice as many sounds in games as I did before. The inputs on the back of the card have coloured leds inside them which makes plugging in the orange one, the green one or any other one a breeze. If you have this card but don't have a good set of speakers or headphones then you'll just waste it. It's the same as buying a Canon Mark2 and using a coke bottle for a lense. Overall I rate this card 5/5, would buy again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works with Ubuntu, 24 Feb 2012
This card provides excellent sound. BBC Radio 3 HD Sound provides a good test. It is easy to tell the difference between the on-board "High Definition" sound and the much clearer sound produced by the sound card. Recent Ubuntu releases (11.10 and 12.04) install the drivers automatically.
Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Windows 7 compatible, 21 Jun 2011
Installed in my new windows 7 64bit machine, then downloaded the latest drivers from ASUS. All works fine with no problems. Dolby digital live and dolby headphone tech works great. I wanted to get surround sound from games to my amp through the digital connections and this was a great solution.

5.0 out of 5 stars First Class Audio from a First Class card, 11 April 2010
R. Wanders (Netherlands) - See all my reviews
The D2X' audio quality is superb, I use it in combination with a 5.1 surround receiver connected by Optical SPDIF and the end result is astounding.
Music, Films and Games are all crystal clear, with an audible difference in quality compared to my previous on-board audio solution.

The only downside this has in my opinion is that you'll want to rip your entire CD collection to your computer again, if only to store them as a lossless format because the difference in quality between standard 128 kbit audio and lossless is clearly audible with this card thanks to the very high quality hardware used.

It has EAX support for older games but it really shines under Windows Vista or Windows 7 where EAX and Creative hardware audio no longer function properly.

Not messing around with the limited game support that ALchemy provides, ASUS uses DirectSound3D GX which will work on any game that uses DirectX for it's audio. For newer games it uses standard DirectSound3D and OpenAL.

The card has the ability to convert any audio output from your PC into Dolby Digital or DTS which makes connecting this card to a receiver through it's digital connection a great option, providing either All Channel Stereo when no surround information is available or up to 7.1 surround when it is.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great sound card for both beginners and audio freaks., 12 April 2014
The quality of sound that can be produced by this card is amazing and I personally think it cannot be beaten.
The card is really easy to install (Even for beginners). The only two negatives i can think of is that it produces a lot of heat and the lights on the inside are very unnecessary. The overall built quality is really good so its hard to damage it during installation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cant believe the difference!, 14 Feb 2014
What a difference to my pc sound. It feels like you are sitting in the middle of the band as you can clearly identify and separate the different instruments.

5.0 out of 5 stars I was unsure but it proved its self!, 7 Dec 2013
D. Keeley "Dannyk90" (England) - See all my reviews
I have a high end motherboard (asus sabertooth 990 fx r2.0), it has surround sound capabilities built in, which I did try with my 5.2 surround sound speakers. It was nice but in games some sounds did not sound correct.

I then connect my speakers to this card and the sound is great! The sounds in games are correct.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sounds good so far..., 24 Nov 2013
Ordered the Xonar D2x/DT sound card as like everyone else I was sick of the onboard supplied sound that is really terrible, especially when gaming.

Arrived nice and promptly and layered in packaging - so everything was in top shape when I unpacked it.

Once removed from the box I plugged it into the floppy power connector and found a spare molex and the plugging in was complete.

Slotted into the PCI-E slot and screwed down - power on and installed the drivers I had downloaded from ASUS website and it worked straight off the bat.

I have ordered a cheap 5.1 speaker system as I dont want to always be wearing headphones when gaming and I watch a lot of movies on my PC so I thought a mid range speaker system will run nicely on this card.. I will add my comments once the speakers arrive and I have chance to hook everything up..TBC...

It looks great in my case and I have a blue theme going on in my windowed Fractal R4 case and I know a lot of people have taken the cards shroud off and unplugged the orange light. Not me.. It is not a big deal for me having a variety of colors as long as it's not red and it is a pretty looking card so visually thumbs up 5/5 score.
I also like the fact that the rear sockets/ports for the RCA and SPDIF connectors light up the color assigned to that input. BRILLIANT got a nice rainbow light show going on behind my PC - you can never have too much color ..lol

Once I have used this card some and see how it works with a set of 70, 5.1 speakers I will add to my review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome sound card!!, 9 Nov 2013
I recently purchased this sound card as an upgrade from my on-board and I love it. Obviously has a built in amp which served me well with my Pioneer HDJ-1500-K headphones. Unfortunately this card does not come with any front panel IO connectivity so it does get quite annoying when I switch from my headphones to my 5.1 audio setup. The software is not to bad either, making it easy to adjust sound levels to suit your needs as well as the built in sound profiles for both gaming, media consumption and creation. I also do a little audio work so the midi connectivity is a welcome addition as it does also come with 3 midi ports on the card itself. In games there is no performance degradation and positional audio definitely gave me a competitive advantage. Excellent dynamic range in games and movies so would definitely recommend to anyone seeking an upgrade. In my opinion very modestly priced for the quality that you are getting. However keep in mind it does require a floppy connector to power it which is a bit of a strange design decision in my opinion but all in all a fantastic card.