4.0 out of 5 stars Missy clears difficult second album hurdle, 28 April 2007
R. Breene (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: On a Clear Night (Audio CD)
Just finished listening to the album on Missy Higgins' website. On first listen it seems to have more varied styles than her debut, "The Sound of White", with only three tracks including the outstanding Sugarcane and the opening track, Where I Stood, really including the piano as the major form of instrument.

The remainder of the album gels with what has been seen on Missy's international tours with more guitar-based songs, including the phenomenal first single from the album "Steer", one of several more upbeat songs on this album compared to her debut.

I look forward to listening to this much more, and would always be reluctant to give an album 5 stars on first listen, but after one listen this certainly seems likely to be playing on high circulation for some time. Great work and let's hope it isn't so long til her third album!

5.0 out of 5 stars fabulous album, 19 Feb. 2008
al m "al" (manchester, uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: On a Clear Night (Audio CD)
I bought this album recently in Australia and it is clear Missy is an amazing talent. There are a real range of tunes here from uptempo driving tunes to quite slow ballads but the one thing they all have in common is their quality and staying power. Having read up about her it is pretty surprising how young she is, I imagine the success she has had in Australia and the US will be replicated in the UK.

5.0 out of 5 stars Clearly a talent, 11 Oct. 2007
This review is from: On a Clear Night (Audio CD)
This highly anticipated follow-up album to The Sound of White could quite easily have fallen short of expectation. However, thankfully, it does not, and instead what Missy has provided us with is a superb collection of original pop songs. It's a lot more upbeat than her previous album, exemplified in songs like "100 round the bends" and "Peachy", not to mention the stand-out single, "Steer" which is very much in the same mould as "Scar" off TSTOW. There are also the piano centred ballads which we've come to expect from Missy, in the form of "Where I stood" and "Sugarcane", which is the best song on the album in my opinion. A brilliant follow-up to The Sound of White, would recommed to anyone

5.0 out of 5 stars Missy amazing, 16 Mar. 2011
This review is from: On a Clear Night (Audio CD)
Her first album was beautiful and fragile and angry and wounded and thoughtful and sensitive and so many of her lyrics universal for those in or out of love.

On a Clear Night only secures her talent and brings with it more haunting (warm whispers) more depth and emotional maturity, and the welcome arrival of some convincing uptempo numbers like Peachy and The Wrong Girl. Always tinged with a sense of sadness and wistfulness Missy Higgins songs are nevertheless true to our real human experiences and the guitars, piano and snare that accompany them lull you away to a place where pain almost becomes beautiful.

5.0 out of 5 stars CHECK WHAT YOUR MISSING!!!..., 24 Sept. 2013
This review is from: On a Clear Night (Audio CD)
I only discovered missy higgins via a link on myspace, and WOW!, i was blown away. This singer is hardly known across europe, originaly from australia and known in usa, this singer is a great unknown loss to uk/europe. She has released 3 albums so far plus some singles and for those who have'nt seen here yet, check "Set me on fire" and also "Where i stood". Both videos can be seen along with many others on youtube, A MUST SEE SINGER!...

P.S. As a nice intro, check out "Missy Higgins - Funny Moments" on youtube, she's 1 hell of a dancer... ;-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Hidden Jewel of a CD, 5 Jan. 2011
This review is from: On a Clear Night (Audio CD)
Why this CD didn't achieve wider popularity I don't know. Perhaps because she is mainly known in Australia?? If you like Sarah Mclachlan or Crowded House you will love this. Produced by the legendary Mitchell Froom and it shows. Full of memorable songs that worm their way into your consciousness. Buy it you won't regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Singer Songwriter, 24 Dec. 2009
Mr. Ac Williams (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: On a Clear Night (Audio CD)
Missy Higgins is absolutely fantastic and this CD tipifies everything I love about her. Every track is a winner and can be listened to again and again. I'm not sure if you can wear CD's out, but I'm certainly going to test this one. The track "Where I stood" is amazing and gives me a lump in the throat even now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful voice, 20 Jan. 2011
This review is from: On a Clear Night (Audio CD)
I really enjoyed this album and as I had only heard snippets before i bought it I was not sure what to expect. Missy has a beautiful voice and it was very easy to relax into the album and even sing along to myself in parts. I would highly recommend this album to anyone else.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great album, 26 April 2014
This review is from: On a Clear Night (Audio CD)
I love this album . Could listen to it again and again ... have only just started buying her albums and will definitely be buying more .

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a clear choice..., 29 April 2007
This review is from: On a Clear Night (Audio CD)
No artist as clean-cut, fresh and siler-tongued as Missy Higgins has been around for... well ever. The girl, no woman, is a unique Goddess.

From Missy's first album it was clear that our world had been bestowed a lyrical magician. Missy writes epic songs in a sense, which, with the story of the music or not, leave me astounded and amazed every time i listen to them and in the case of some songs (such as "The Sound of White", "Sugarcane", "Where I Stood" and "The Special Two" to name a few), almost on the verge of tears.

There is just something so emmotive about how Higgins writes exactly what her heart wants to with no boundries, restraints or word-blocks that makes me think I'm listening something close to a miracle. Her words are so true pure, so uniquely different and astounding they never omit knocking me off my feet.

Missy Higgins is a young talent who is not recognised enough for what she has musically given birth to; either here or in the U.S. And It truly amuses me to think that what tops our album charts can range from the amazing lyrics of Christina's "Beautiful" to others who'd rather talk to another girl's man about how she can (QUOTE) "See the way, see the way you look at me, and even when you look away I know you think of me, I know you talk about me all the time again and again". And Missy Higgins doesnt even seem to stitch the two bipolars together? WTF people? My adhornments go to Australia for creating this young songstress and having the smarts to realise shes amazing

Missy Higgins needs her due recognition. She has already given us an amazing debut with "The Sound Of White" and from what I've heard "On A Clear Night" is definatley above average when it comes to sophomores; jumping the hurdle wihtout hesitation. If you appreciate a fresh talent with a voice like velet and the heart with the talent to write lyrics you've never heard buy this album...you won't be dissapointed

On a Clear Night
On a Clear Night by Missy Higgins (Audio CD - 2008)