on 5 February 2010
This is a decent product for the price. It comes in a handy case to keep it clean and dry. The big screen and readout lock button are very useful especially if you take a reading with the meter on it's side. I bought it to check logs for my wood burning stove and it does this well although you do have to push quite hard sometimes especially if it's in hardwood. The instructions tell you to push the pins in 5mm but even that is hard to do sometimes but be warned they will go into your fingers no bother!!! All in all I am pleased with it so far (had it about 4 weeks now)it came with a spare set of pins as well and the delivery was quick.
22 comments57 of 57 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 February 2011
You know what it's like when you're new to something...I found with log burning I was never quite sure what constituted a dry log. I knew a dry log feels lighter than a damp log. I knew a dry log should have splits in it. I knew logs with bark dry slower than those without and I knew unsplit logs dry slower than split logs, but, I was still burning logs that hissed!!

This tool enables me to burn hiss free logs.

I don't know if it's accurate and I'm not really bothered. If it reads less than about 20% I get a log that ignites instantly in a hot stove and a log that does not hiss when burning. If it reads over about 25% then the log will hiss.

I'd recommend it to any one that wants to get the most out of their fuel.

One thing I've learnt...logs don't necessarily dry evenly. Test each log in several places, especially if it's unsplit.
0Comment104 of 105 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 June 2010
Excellent product. It makes a real difference to burning wood in our stove to ensure that the wood has a low enough moisture content. Product is easy to use and reliable.
0Comment25 of 25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 March 2010
This is an excellent and essentail piece of kit for anyone operating a woodburning stove. By identifying the % wetness of the wood before you use it you can avoid a lot of trouble with tar build up.
on 6 March 2012
Simple to use battery operated moisture meter. Essential gadget for maximum efficiency wood burning. Simply switch on, insert prongs into chosen log and an accurate reading is taken. Wood should have a moisture level under 18% to give maximum heat output and prevent condensation in the chimney and accumulations of soot and tar in the chimney and stove
on 19 September 2009
This handy little moisture meter (MD-812) makes monitoring wood stocks for the woodburner a delight. Simple to use and convenient for the pocket and storing can find no fault in this product.
0Comment53 of 55 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 October 2011
I have just had a log burner, and had it drummed into me how important it is to only burn seasoned wood, and knowing how hard they struggled to get a 5 inch flue in our chimney I thought I best buy this, it seems very good and with a handy carrying case too, I tend to cut the logs test them then the ones close to 20% I bring into the house and leave near the fire it soon dries out, its a quick and easy check and might save you lots of money if your flue rots out
on 21 April 2010
Simple and easy to use. Recommend it to anyone working with moisture contents. Just make sure you take the lid off properly...ouch!!
on 8 January 2011
We recently installed a log burner and as it is recommended not to burn wood with a moisture content of more than 20 percent I purchase this meter as a gift for my husband. Works well and we are very pleased.
on 24 May 2010
Excellent product works well could do with auto shut off as I have forgoten once and flattened the batteries