4.0 out of 5 stars Moisture meter
Published on 5 Feb. 2010 by Moses

2.0 out of 5 stars Not very robust!
Published on 18 Aug. 2012 by Marcus

4.0 out of 5 stars Moisture meter, 5 Feb. 2010
This review is from: Dr. Meter® Wood Moisture Meter MD-812 Digital LCD Display - To Measure the Percentage of Water in Given Substance (Electronics)
This is a decent product for the price. It comes in a handy case to keep it clean and dry. The big screen and readout lock button are very useful especially if you take a reading with the meter on it's side. I bought it to check logs for my wood burning stove and it does this well although you do have to push quite hard sometimes especially if it's in hardwood. The instructions tell you to push the pins in 5mm but even that is hard to do sometimes but be warned they will go into your fingers no bother!!! All in all I am pleased with it so far (had it about 4 weeks now)it came with a spare set of pins as well and the delivery was quick.

4.0 out of 5 stars It works..., 15 Feb. 2011
You know what it's like when you're new to something...I found with log burning I was never quite sure what constituted a dry log. I knew a dry log feels lighter than a damp log. I knew a dry log should have splits in it. I knew logs with bark dry slower than those without and I knew unsplit logs dry slower than split logs, but, I was still burning logs that hissed!!

This tool enables me to burn hiss free logs.

I don't know if it's accurate and I'm not really bothered. If it reads less than about 20% I get a log that ignites instantly in a hot stove and a log that does not hiss when burning. If it reads over about 25% then the log will hiss.

I'd recommend it to any one that wants to get the most out of their fuel.

One thing I've learnt...logs don't necessarily dry evenly. Test each log in several places, especially if it's unsplit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful product, 22 Jun. 2010
Excellent product. It makes a real difference to burning wood in our stove to ensure that the wood has a low enough moisture content. Product is easy to use and reliable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Handheld moisture meter, 6 Mar. 2010
This is an excellent and essentail piece of kit for anyone operating a woodburning stove. By identifying the % wetness of the wood before you use it you can avoid a lot of trouble with tar build up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Burn wood efficiently, 6 Mar. 2012
J. A. Peacock - See all my reviews
Simple to use battery operated moisture meter. Essential gadget for maximum efficiency wood burning. Simply switch on, insert prongs into chosen log and an accurate reading is taken. Wood should have a moisture level under 18% to give maximum heat output and prevent condensation in the chimney and accumulations of soot and tar in the chimney and stove

5.0 out of 5 stars Wood Moisture meter for woodburners, 19 Sept. 2009
Mr. Gerald G. Harniman (East Sussex, UK) - See all my reviews
This handy little moisture meter (MD-812) makes monitoring wood stocks for the woodburner a delight. Simple to use and convenient for the pocket and storing can find no fault in this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Damp meter, 8 Oct. 2011
I have just had a log burner, and had it drummed into me how important it is to only burn seasoned wood, and knowing how hard they struggled to get a 5 inch flue in our chimney I thought I best buy this, it seems very good and with a handy carrying case too, I tend to cut the logs test them then the ones close to 20% I bring into the house and leave near the fire it soon dries out, its a quick and easy check and might save you lots of money if your flue rots out

4.0 out of 5 stars Moisture meter assessment, 21 Oct. 2010
I purchased this meter to test the moisture content of logs to give an indication of the suitability of the wood for burning on our stove. The meter is simple to operate, readings are very clear and it is easy to slip into your pocket so its ready for use. Would recommend product.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not very robust!, 18 Aug. 2012
Although this item has many positive features, eg price, easy to read, replacement pins and a case, I found with regular use it is not very robust. In fact the casing around the pins cracked and shortly afterwards it stopped giving a moisture reading. This was despite always using the item with care. I have now ordered a more expensive and hopefully more durable product. Based on my experience I would suggest if you intend to use it very infrequently it may be suitable. However, if you think you will use it regularly it would be better to buy a more robust model.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very hand little machine, 7 Oct. 2010
Mrs. J. E. Tomlinson "Mrs T." (Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this for my husband who is obsessed with checking the wood for our log burner!!
He was really impressed with it.
It comes with its very own little pouch to store it in.
You just simply press or rather touch the wood with the two metal nodes and it gives you a percentage reading based on the moisture content of the wood.
It has proved to be very useful and has helped me to choose the best / most dried out wood to burn!
Even I love this nifty little machine. It sits in our kitchen drawer and both myself and my husband reguarly use it to test the wood!
If you have a log burner then this is a must!!