4.0 out of 5 stars Mac Family Tree 5

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Mac Family Tree 5, 9 Mar 2009
P. Tobin (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: MacFamily Tree 5 (Mac CD) (CD-ROM)
Very easy to install and start up. Instant incorporation of a gedcom File from a PC version of a family tree. Not convinced of the value of the "virtual tree" function. Seems a bit of a gimmick. Ancestor chart is in the horizontal format. Personally I prefer a vertical presentation. Lines from parents to children are diagonal rather than vertical. Again as a personal preference I prefer traditional method.
Having voiced these minor personal criticisms the program is very good. Data is easy to enter and retrieve. Editing data is also easy. Good value for money and would satisfy most amateur family tree hunters.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best available, 10 Nov 2009
Mr. A. Baker "theflyingant" (Loughborough, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: MacFamily Tree 5 (Mac CD) (CD-ROM)
I bought Mac Family Tree 5 about 3 months ago and have been using it routinely to summarize my research. A massive benefit that I have experienced compared to other software is that this program makes data entry enjoyable, thanks to its polished appearance. There is a wide range of presentation tools, and some great unexpected ideas (virtual tree, linking with google earth) that sound like gimmicks at first, but have actually proved interesting and useful. For example, the virtual tree presents clearly where my research has gone off on tangents through brothers and sisters of the key players within my tree. The tech support are helpful in my experience. The software deals with media well and has all the usual useful sorting tools you would expect from a genealogy package. All in all, a first rate product that far, far exceeds anything else out there for the mac (don't consider Reunion over this!).

5.0 out of 5 stars Best I've Used, 12 Sep 2009
Aremess "AremessUK" (Littlehampton, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: MacFamily Tree 5 (Mac CD) (CD-ROM)
I moved over to the Mac in Feb 2009 from the dreaded Windows based PC. On my computers until the Mac, I've used 5 or six different programs for keeping my family records up-to-date all of which seemed that they would be better than the last, but never so.

MacFamily Tree knocks the socks off all of them. Easy to use, intuitive, easy to create trees etc, well thought out and so easy to correct any mistakes you've made.

5 stars and recommend it to anyone - even first-timers

5.0 out of 5 stars The best for all mac users doing their family tree, 15 Mar 2009
This review is from: MacFamily Tree 5 (Mac CD) (CD-ROM)
The best family history for mac's It's easy to get gadcoms down and sorts out your family decendents, it will work out who your ancesters are to you like which person is your greeat great grandparents are or 2nd 3rd cousins etc, even family from branch members of your family, but you have to put the details in first. A must have for any one doing their family history on an Apple Mac. One good thing is once you have bought on you need never get another as all upgrades are downloded free

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, 12 Oct 2009
This review is from: MacFamily Tree 5 (Mac CD) (CD-ROM)
Easy to use, fantastic navigation, great graphics - perfect for my mac!
After years of dull PC ancestry programmes that do the most basic of tasks i've finally found one that joins my mac in the 21st century.

Great buy!

4.0 out of 5 stars Extremely Simple To Use, 4 Dec 2009
E. J. EVANS (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: MacFamily Tree 5 (Mac CD) (CD-ROM)
I bought this on a whim having recently been shown some photographs of my great grandfather. The box contains a CD ROM and a brief starter's guide. When you install the software you are then prompted to update to the latest version of the software from the manufacturer's (Synium) website. The program starts up quickly and gives you a menu bar on the left with many different tools. It is incredibly simple to start building the a tree - I just added my father as a start point. You then have options to add each person's parents/siblings/spouses/decendants.

I am astonished that a previous reviewer said it was too difficult to use - especially as they describe themselves as a 'mac user'. Anybody with even the most basic comprehension of Mac OS will have zero trouble using this software. The same reviewer complains about the inability to print trees - he/she is wrong. You can print trees - simply choose to view a descendant chart or ancestor chart or one of the other views - then choose the person whose heritage you want to see and print. Admittedly the views are quite basic but anyone who has tried to sketch out their family tree on paper will know that a comprehensive tree involving relatively distant relations doesn't lend itself to a two dimesional format particularly easily. If you want a fancy looking tree to put above the mantlepiece or in the dunny then this isn't the software for you. If you want to be able to make an easily accessible and comprehensive record of your genealogy on your mac then this does the job. You can also add photos, publish trees on CD or even the web and use the iPhone version - though I haven't tried any of this yet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not much out there for Macs - but this does just fine!, 2 April 2009
S. Mclellan (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: MacFamily Tree 5 (Mac CD) (CD-ROM)
Having used genealogy software on PC's for years I was surprised at the lack of software available for Macs.

This software matches any PC software you can find and (although daunting at first) does become intuitive after a while.

4.0 out of 5 stars MacFamily Tree 5 - different but good!, 31 July 2010
This review is from: MacFamily Tree 5 (Mac CD) (CD-ROM)
As a fairly new (6 mths) MAC user I was looking for something to replace my old PC Family Tree Maker on the MAC. MacFamily Tree 5 seemed to be the answer and indeed it seems to have everything I need. As with any new software it took a little bit of getting used to - I'm not one for reading online manuals so it was a case of click-and-see-what-this-does! All fairly self-explanatory although I ended up with extra partners at one point but then if you aren't going to read the instructions....LOL! The virtual tree seemed quite useful at first but as I added second wives and step children it all started to look a little confused - I may be missing something somewhere but I couldn't get it to keep each batch of children from each marriage separate. I like the source facility - seems to keep me very organised and the ability to upload the media files, photos, scans of census returns etc is great.

Anyway, still early days - I have elected not to import my GEDCOM files from Family Tree Maker as it was some time since I last looked at this and although I had hundreds of names on there I decided the best way to learn was to start from scratch with my husband's family.

2.0 out of 5 stars I would not recommend buying this software, 31 May 2010
G. Tew "GT" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: MacFamily Tree 5 (Mac CD) (CD-ROM)
I have spent the last 6 months using this software. It is extremely frustrating. The data input is fairly straightforward but the visual chart presentations are confusing and extremely fiddly to set up in a format that you would want. Why couldnt they just have included a standard family tree diagram in a programme called 'Family Tree'? I am going to have to replace the programme.

4.0 out of 5 stars Family tree, 29 Mar 2013
This review is from: MacFamily Tree 5 (Mac CD) (CD-ROM)
This was a birthday present for my husband, we already had another version of a family tree, but this is is much better, graphics are very pleasing, and easy to use.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

MacFamily Tree 5 (Mac CD)
MacFamily Tree 5 (Mac CD) by Synium (Mac OS X)