5.0 out of 5 stars Gets Under your skin, 5 Feb 2008
This review is from: Sea from Shore (Audio CD)
As a massive fan of Brewis' parent band Field Music, i was looking forward to seeing what younger sibling David's first 'solo' album was like. Would it have the melodic twists and turns of FM? Would it have that fantastic habit of ensnaring on first listen whilst revealing more and more layers with each listen?

The answer is yes. Whilst not as easy on first listen (there is so much going on here) these songs have a habit of getting under your skin and staying there.

Highlights - Poor Boy, with its shimmying bass line and metalic guitar parts and Rockist Part 4 with its glorious end section.

Basically if you're fan of Field Music (and if not, why not?) you can feel safe buying this in the knowledge that you're getting one of the records of the year from one of the UK's finest talents

5.0 out of 5 stars Very creative and enjoyable, 10 Oct 2010
D. Mackenzie "macanova" (Lincoln, Lincolnshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sea From Shore (Audio CD)
Having heard the main track of this cd on tv for the ford ad, I just had to listen to the rest of the album. Excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent album, 31 Jan 2013
This review is from: Sea From Shore (Audio CD)
I first heard a song of this album on the excellent BBC 6Music show presented by Marc Riley.
I was listening away and I thought " hang on, this has a Field Music sound to it " (I absolutely love Field Music). On further investigation and I was please to see that it was indeed the Brewis brothers that were the perpetrators of this fine album.

If you like Field Music then this album should be part of your collection.

4.0 out of 5 stars Why aren't there more albums like this?!?!?!?!, 6 Nov 2012
This review is from: Sea From Shore (Audio CD)
Without delving into the pretentious realms of "art rock" or "progressive" rock, it's hard to find good releases where every song sounds pretty much the same. This is a really challenging album full of well-crafted, but not overly arty, songs. I may be hasty with my rating, as I haven't listened to it that many times yet. We'll see...

5.0 out of 5 stars It got under my skin too - thanks to Marc Riley, 20 Oct 2008
This review is from: Sea From Shore (Audio CD)
I first heard of School of Language after hearing Marc Riley (an opportunity to plug my fan page - [...]) play Rockist on his show on BBC 6 Music and I wasn't that sure at first, but I kept hearing songs from the album and in the end I had to get the album. It probably helped that I knew a few of the songs already, so unlike the previous reviewer I wasn't starting from scratch. Now I would say that this is one of my favourite albums of the year.

I wasn't aware of Field Music until I tuned into Marc Riley's show last year, so I approached this album without hearing the Brewis brothers' previous work. Boy they are talented and I am now getting into The Week That Was album (again thanks to Marc Riley).

I was lucky enough to see School of Language for free a few months ago and the songs sound just as good, if not better, when played live (and being lucky enough to talk to both David and Peter Brewis before the show, I can say that they are really nice chaps too). The show was not well attended by fans - it's a trendy indie pub/club that attracts people who worship the likes of Pete Docherty and think 'Indie' is a sound and way of dressing. But I did feel privileged knowing I was one of the elite few in attendance who had actually heard of them.

Sea From Shore
Sea From Shore by School of Language (Audio CD - 2008)