5.0 out of 5 stars At last we Return to Treasure Island, 24 Mar 2008
This review is from: Return To Treasure Island - Complete [DVD] (DVD)
This release has been a long time coming and is well worth the wait. Originally made as a co-production between Disney & HTV, the same company who produced the Michael Praed/Jason Connery Robin Hood. It tells of Long John Silver played by Brian Blessed going back to the Island with Jim Hawkins 10 years later, although this story centres more on the adventures of the now grown Jim. It has been over 20 years since I saw it, so I will add more once I have watched it again!

5.0 out of 5 stars A superb drama series and DVD set, 5 Aug 2008
This review is from: Return To Treasure Island - Complete [DVD] (DVD)
John Silver's Return to Treasure Island is a superb drama series that I've grown up with.

I've been eagerly waiting for this to make the transition to DVD and now that I've got my hands on a copy I'm certainly not disappointed. For me, Brian Blessed's performance as Long John Silver is an acting masterpiece.

The picture quality of the DVD transfer is really the only flaw with this set. There has not been any attempt to enhance it, which when you consider that some "enhanced DVDs" can have scenes edited (and in some cases ruined due to fiddling) is probably not a bad thing.

All in all, a piece of classic period drama certainly worth checking out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptional, 28 May 2008
Dr. Shehzad Latif (Swansea UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Return To Treasure Island - Complete [DVD] (DVD)
I remember this series from way back in 80s in Pakistan. I was preparing for my exams when the first episode came on air. My parents removed the antenna so I could concentrate on the studies. I still remember how I made a make shift antenna from a hanger and watched it. Fell in love with Long Kohn Silver there and then, He is the best pirate ever even better than Jack Sparrow (no offence Depp) but Brian Blessed is a class of his own. For the later episodes we used to be glued to the TV set and with a pulsating heart record it (because we were victims of loadshedding(meaning electricity). I still have some episodes on the VHS tapes. Ever since my arrival in the UK I have been on the look out for it and I am so glad it is available along with Jamaica Inn starring stunning Jane seymore. It is one of the ost nostalgic series ever. The music is beautiful and haunting. CANT wait to watch it with my kids. If one thing you need to buy is Return to treasure island. GO 4 IT

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous Show If You're Lucky Enough to Get It!, 6 Jan 2009
Ferrin Sanders (Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Return To Treasure Island - Complete [DVD] (DVD)
Action, adventure, comedy, gorgeous scenery, authentic-looking costumes and settings, romance, and the most beautiful musical score I ever heard in my life! "Return to Treasure Island" features all that and has the added plus of containing zero profanity. It is safe and enjoyable for all ages (well, probably too much fighting for small kids, but at least there's no gore).

I taped this wonderful 10-part mini-series off the Disney Channel back in the 80s. My husband, 2 sons, and I watched it over and over again until the tapes wore out. In recent years I have repeatedly checked on Amazon to see if it was out on DVD and always came up disappointed. Nothing was available except old, used video tapes. How could something this good just disappear? Finally, to my great joy, I found it on the UK Amazon site and I was able to see my husband's face light up on Christmas morning when he opened his gift.

I'm sure glad I bought this DVD set when I had the chance because I see that it's now unavailable again (didn't last long!) except in high-priced re-sale. It never showed up on the American Amazon site because it still hasn't come out in region-1 format. We are an American family currently living overseas and all the DVD players are region-free where we are. Once we move back to the States, we will have to buy a region-free DVD player in order to play these DVDs since they are in region-2 format (not US format). Well, hopefully by then, "Return to Treasure Island" will be availble in region-1 format. When/if that happens I hope they will add subtitles. I love the pirate talk (so quirky and funny), but a lot of the dialogue is hard to understand. It would also be nice to have some bonus features (background info on the making of the movie). A series this good deserves first-class treatment!

4.0 out of 5 stars Return to Treasure Island (DVD) Brian Blessed, etc., 25 July 2010
Return to Treasure Island (DVD) Brian Blesse

This re-release has been overdue for 20 years.
For many years now, there has been an online petition to Disney to this end.
I was very pleasantly surprised to find the DVD on Amazon after attempting without success for a long, long time, to find the whole series.
BRIAN BLESSED has never been better.
A mastepiece, for those who enjoy classic 'old world' adventure, without blood, gore, violence or vulgarity.
Beautifully filmed and well acted.
R.L. Stephenson himself would have approved, i am sure!
FIVE STARS PLUS.........

5.0 out of 5 stars Trilogy completed, 9 Jan 2008
V. K. Manglaveras (thessaloniki, greece) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Return To Treasure Island - Complete [DVD] (DVD)
This is the third and final chapter of the treasure island trilogy which begun in 1950 with the movie of the same title and continued with the adventures of john silver.
This 1986 mini series explores john's further adventures 10 years later than the events of the first two movies.
Get this series together with the movies + the excellent 1990 remake with heston (which is not on dvd yet) + the excellent animation treasure planet and u will have THE COMPLETE WORTH BUYING TREASURE ISLAND DVD COLLECTION.

5.0 out of 5 stars Been waiting for years!!, 5 Mar 2010
Matthew B. Agler (Pearland, TX) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Return To Treasure Island - Complete [DVD] (DVD)
Saw this mini series on the Disney Channel when I was a kid. My uncle taped it on VHS. I have been looking for it for years. Was thrilled to find it. The video quality is pretty good, unfortunately the sound is not stereo. Buyers from the US, make sure you understand what region 1 means. US dvd player won't likely play it. I picked up a region free DVD player on ebay just to watch this series. Bought copies and DVD players for my uncle and cousin too.

4.0 out of 5 stars I hope to get this series very soon, 25 May 2008
Wil (The Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Return To Treasure Island - Complete [DVD] (DVD)
Gosh, I really hope this item will be in stock soon. I was really looking forward to the release date. I have this great mini series on an old VHS tape, and have rewatched it over and over again. It's still fun, it's still exciting. Brian Blessed is marvelous as John Silver. If you like the character, get this DVD when possible.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Childhood Epic, 20 May 2008
C. K. Nelson (NY, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Return To Treasure Island - Complete [DVD] (DVD)
I have been watching this movie since I was a young child. My parents taped it off the Disney Channel back in the 80s, and our whole family has been watching it ever since! Of course, the VHS tapes are now growing worn and faded, so I was ecstatic when I learned it was being released on DVD!
I love this movie. The fighting can be a bit cheesey at times, but in the grander scheme of the whole film WHO CARES??!! I certainly don't. The story is fantastic, and the acting is MARVELOUS. Brian Blessed is awesome in this film! He is (well, his character, really) referred to often in our household. Just yesterday, in fact, my dad made reference to one of Long John's one-liners as we were sitting around the table eating dessert! Really, what a great movie! I can't say it enough. Needless to say, I have pre-ordered these DVDs and very much look forward to watching this movie yet again. Though I'm probably gonna have to buy a region-free DVD player, as I am from the USA and this DVD is coming from the UK. But it's all good, I don't mind a bit! This film is epic!

5.0 out of 5 stars A good tale well told, 28 Aug 2013
This review is from: Return To Treasure Island - Complete [DVD] (DVD)
I first saw this when I was a teenager, on holiday away from my parents for the first time. The story takes a number of twists and turns and has a very close feel to the book the inspired it. Looking with a more adult eye I noticed how you can miss whole episodes without losing the plotline, which is quite a clever feature (probably quite common in TV series) and I enjoyed its writeup on Wikipedia (apparently the director kept disappearing because he wanted to play pirates!). It's a real treat even though single malts, rather than rum, are my preferred accompaniment these days.

Return To Treasure Island - Complete [DVD]
Return To Treasure Island - Complete [DVD] by Brian Blessed (DVD - 2008)
19.99