on 5 February 2009
This is not your professional light stand. It is a little thin and you would think it would have issues of falling over all the time. You'd be wrong. For the price, this light stand works for what I wanted it for (using a flashgun off camera). With a little added weight, such as your camera bag, this is a solid piece of equipment and for the price, if you're looking for a lightstand that's particularly transportable, you'd be crazy to buy something else. Not so sure how it would work in a studio with those big heavy monoblock heads but I can't see it having problems there either. I would recommend it to anyone in need of a little extra height for their off camera lighting sources.
on 10 October 2009
This light stand is very useful. It folds down fairly small (though not as small as the compact double fold types) and is reasonably light. It is easy to sling it over your shoulder in the case, and an excellent addition to any photographer's kit.

I wouldn't recommend this for anything heavy, such as a monolight or big softboxes, but for hot shoe flashes and umbrellas it does the job very well. If you're using it outside with modifiers such as umbrellas, weight down the base with something heavy, like your camera bag, or the slightest breeze will send it crashing to the ground!

GRIPES:

The plastic buckle on the case broke immediately, but after I repaired the strap it works fine. I attribute the problem to a bad sample, but nonetheless the quality of the case is not brilliant. Despite this, for my quick location kit, I can fit the stand plus an umbrella and swivel bracket into the case without problems.

You need to keep the provided plastic cap, or a substitute, on top of the light stand stud whenever you put it in the case, or it will wear a hole in it in no time at all. On the other hand, while my case has a small hole in the end, it causes no problems and shows no signs of getting bigger.

CONCLUSION:

Overall I recommend this product. Unless you need something very tall, or something to hold a large monolight or softbox, this light stand will do the job for you. The only problems I found were with the case, and both were easily fixable and preventable once you know. At this price, long-term build quality does not matter, but I've had it for about a year and had no problems with the stand itself.
on 8 January 2010
I didn't expect much from this stand, but boy was I surprised! I live in Holland, and have a couple of heavy duty stands here in my studio and needed something for a series of shoots I was doing in Ireland in peoples homes. I wanted something cheap that I could leave behind for the next time, and more importantly could hold the weight of my smaller 200W studio light as well as a fairly large soft umbrella. No problems what so ever, and a bonus was that it came with a soft case which had a strap, AND could I hold my soft umbrella in the case.
No complaints at all, when you spread the legs a little wider, it's as sturdy as you'll need, and it locked tightly when extended. I was expecting a "one use" stand, no way, I'll get a LOT of use out of this.

Rudi
on 13 March 2009
For the money this is unbeatable.

It has clips instead of screw clamps which may wear out with time but there is very little difference otherwise between this and my more expensive interfit stands.
on 16 April 2009
This thing is quite suitable for those who want to do some occasional amateur strobist work. Not sure about "professional studio photolamps" - it looks and feels somewhat flimsy - but it holds my 430ex, radio receiver and 80" brolly just fine. Cheap enough to try out and if you figure that flash photography is your thing I'd recommend to upgrade to something more serious.
on 5 June 2012
I was sceptical when I ordered these as they were so cheap but I am pleased that I did order them as they are brilliant. I have been using them for 3 months and they work perfectly. Highly recommended.
on 16 January 2010
I Bought two of these stands for use in my studio set up , reading the previous reviews i was doubtfull of the build quality but after using them i am quite happy with the product and its build quality , ideal for field use and studio , if outside i would put a weight to steady them depends on conditions at the time, weight i would use to a degree ie heavier lights . Hope you find this helpfull
on 16 September 2013
There are some shortcomings, but I am certainly not an expert in this area. I found the legs hard to collapse, quite stiff actually, and the stability is okay but not perfect. It does seems a little on the light side to me, and once it almost tipped when fully extended without too much weight... I dunno if i would trust it with an expensive strobe attached.

On the flip side its small and has a neat carry case, easy to take on location, just would be mindful of strong wind, indoors is perfect.

UPDATE:
I ordered a second from the supplier, and its completely different! Why do they do that, infuriating!

Its awful quality second time round, the carrying case is wafer thin and feels paper like. The topmost neck clip is weak and with any weight on it slips? Seriously, this is barely a light stand! A Really terrible product second time round... Didn't think that much of the first, but compared to the second time round in retrospect it was a steal, this one is not even worth the modest price!
on 24 March 2015
This light stand uses quick release clamps rather than friction knobs. There are other light stands out there at a similar price which need constant turning and tightening of plastic screws which over time can break. The grip the clamps provide, however, seem to be more secure, stronger and hold longer. But you should be considerate as to what pieces of equipment are put on top. This stand should only be used for light-weight lights such as an LED light or clamp light. If you purchase a second, they can be lined up together to provide an interesting height for a slider. For added precaution I like to weigh the stand down with bags as it doesn't weigh much. If you're starting out in film or photography I would strongly recommend these light stands.
on 18 November 2015
I am using these light stands to support the amazing Yongnu YN 300 video lights. They do the job perfectly even with the big Sony NP-F970 battery attatched. The whole set up is sleek and lightweight. The foot span at the base is very wide and reassuring and solid . It would take a bull in a china shop to knock it over. I dont understand the wingeing critics at all. These light stands are fantastic value for money at 13quid. Perhaps the photographers who complain about the heft of these stands have rugrats running around their studios.
These stands are for indoor use not for windswept exteriors or field shots. You need to phone up Arri and a team of out door lighting specialists for that ...... probably £35,000 per day ha ha . I wish?