4.0 out of 5 stars Great stand for the price but be careful with the case
This light stand is very useful. It folds down fairly small (though not as small as the compact double fold types) and is reasonably light. It is easy to sling it over your shoulder in the case, and an excellent addition to any photographer's kit.

Published on 10 Oct 2009 by Selbosh

1.0 out of 5 stars Its not bad, given the price
There are some shortcomings, but I am certainly not an expert in this area. I found the legs hard to collapse, quite stiff actually, and the stability is okay but not perfect. It does seems a little on the light side to me, and once it almost tipped when fully extended without too much weight... I dunno if i would trust it with an expensive strobe attached.

On...
Published 15 months ago by Peter

4.0 out of 5 stars Great stand for the price but be careful with the case, 10 Oct 2009
This review is from: Photography Light Stand for professional photo studio photolamps (Accessory)

I wouldn't recommend this for anything heavy, such as a monolight or big softboxes, but for hot shoe flashes and umbrellas it does the job very well. If you're using it outside with modifiers such as umbrellas, weight down the base with something heavy, like your camera bag, or the slightest breeze will send it crashing to the ground!

GRIPES:

The plastic buckle on the case broke immediately, but after I repaired the strap it works fine. I attribute the problem to a bad sample, but nonetheless the quality of the case is not brilliant. Despite this, for my quick location kit, I can fit the stand plus an umbrella and swivel bracket into the case without problems.

You need to keep the provided plastic cap, or a substitute, on top of the light stand stud whenever you put it in the case, or it will wear a hole in it in no time at all. On the other hand, while my case has a small hole in the end, it causes no problems and shows no signs of getting bigger.

CONCLUSION:

Overall I recommend this product. Unless you need something very tall, or something to hold a large monolight or softbox, this light stand will do the job for you. The only problems I found were with the case, and both were easily fixable and preventable once you know. At this price, long-term build quality does not matter, but I've had it for about a year and had no problems with the stand itself.

5.0 out of 5 stars A nice surprise, 8 Jan 2010
Rudi Wells "Rudi" (Hoofddorp, Netherlands) - See all my reviews
I didn't expect much from this stand, but boy was I surprised! I live in Holland, and have a couple of heavy duty stands here in my studio and needed something for a series of shoots I was doing in Ireland in peoples homes. I wanted something cheap that I could leave behind for the next time, and more importantly could hold the weight of my smaller 200W studio light as well as a fairly large soft umbrella. No problems what so ever, and a bonus was that it came with a soft case which had a strap, AND could I hold my soft umbrella in the case.
No complaints at all, when you spread the legs a little wider, it's as sturdy as you'll need, and it locked tightly when extended. I was expecting a "one use" stand, no way, I'll get a LOT of use out of this.

Rudi

4.0 out of 5 stars Not a professional stand but it does the job well., 5 Feb 2009
This is not your professional light stand. It is a little thin and you would think it would have issues of falling over all the time. You'd be wrong. For the price, this light stand works for what I wanted it for (using a flashgun off camera). With a little added weight, such as your camera bag, this is a solid piece of equipment and for the price, if you're looking for a lightstand that's particularly transportable, you'd be crazy to buy something else. Not so sure how it would work in a studio with those big heavy monoblock heads but I can't see it having problems there either. I would recommend it to anyone in need of a little extra height for their off camera lighting sources.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bargain, 13 Mar 2009
For the money this is unbeatable.

It has clips instead of screw clamps which may wear out with time but there is very little difference otherwise between this and my more expensive interfit stands.

4.0 out of 5 stars cheap and cheerful, 16 April 2009
This thing is quite suitable for those who want to do some occasional amateur strobist work. Not sure about "professional studio photolamps" - it looks and feels somewhat flimsy - but it holds my 430ex, radio receiver and 80" brolly just fine. Cheap enough to try out and if you figure that flash photography is your thing I'd recommend to upgrade to something more serious.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant and they work!, 5 Jun 2012
S. L. Butler "Simon Butler" (Sheffield, UK) - See all my reviews
I was sceptical when I ordered these as they were so cheap but I am pleased that I did order them as they are brilliant. I have been using them for 3 months and they work perfectly. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lightweight but capable stand, 7 Sep 2009
Peter Davies (Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
Excellent for the price - clearly not for studio flash but more than adequate for portable flash units - legs have a wide enough footprint. Used with Metz45 and 48" umbrella, stable and no problems indoors. Suitable for those on a budget or wanting to carry less weight than a manfrotto type option

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Buy, 16 Jan 2010
I Bought two of these stands for use in my studio set up , reading the previous reviews i was doubtfull of the build quality but after using them i am quite happy with the product and its build quality , ideal for field use and studio , if outside i would put a weight to steady them depends on conditions at the time, weight i would use to a degree ie heavier lights . Hope you find this helpfull

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value for money, 9 July 2011
David Travis - See all my reviews
To be honest, I thought this was going to be cheap and cheerful for under a tenner. I've already got a light stand that came with an Apollo Softbox and I wanted to buy an equivalent stand for a reflector, but I didn't want to spend £50 on a Manfrotto. This does the job perfectly. It comes neatly boxed and is supplied with a canvas case. It doesn't extend as much as the other light stand I have, but it still reaches the ceiling. Also, instead of screws on the side to hold the extended arms it has snap clamps, but these work well. If you're buying it for a Speedlight, be aware that you'll also need to get a coldshoe attachment. At this price, it's not worth wasting time thinking about your decision -- just buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nifty Lightweight Stand, 9 Mar 2009
E. CLEARY "CanvasPic.com" (Tipperary, Eire) - See all my reviews
Handy lightweight stand for on the move flash photography. Used it to support a Nikon sb600 and diffuser umbrella, worked flawlessly. Highly recommended for light mobile work.