5.0 out of 5 stars Fanbloodytastic, 9 Jun 2008
AJ "Alan" (Joburg, South Africa) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Metal Opera Vol.1 & 2: Gold Edition (Audio CD)
Quite simply put this masterpiece is fantastic.The production and sound on the albums is excellent.Albums are of concept nature featuring guest musicians from Edguy.Helloween and Blind Guardian and the music is just stunning.Tobias Sammets who also fronts his other band Edguy has done a brilliant job on this classic,it has power metal,speed and just plain good old heavy metal.This album is one you have to get for your metal collection and I would rate it as one of the best metal albums I have heard in years the work that has been put into this classic shows with every song.Play Loud.A belter of a metal classic.If you like Edguy you will love this double musical feast.
Please check out my other reviews you might find something of interest.
Hope review is of help.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Metal Opera, 21 April 2010
This review is from: The Metal Opera Vol.1 & 2: Gold Edition (Audio CD)
I'd never heard of Tobias Sammet when I purchased this CD but I bought it on the strength of the musicians taking part in this 'opera'.

Henjo Richter and Kai Hansen from the excellent Gamma Ray were the reason I stumbled across this. And artists such as Bob Cately and Michael Kiske also taking part, as well as a host of others swung my decision to give this a try.

I purchased the Gold Edition and when it arrived in it's beautiful authentic looking packaging, like an ancient manuscript, containing information with a full cast, lyrics and script for each character, sleeve notes, and the story, I was blown away before I even played it.

A lot of work obviously went into this product and that is evident with the quality of the music. It is strong throughout both discs and my personal favourite, The Seven Angels, is a masterpiece. Great vocalists and musicians give their all on this concept album and Henjo's guitar solos are amazing.

I highly recommend this release to any metal fan.

4.0 out of 5 stars It's good, but what is all the fuss about?, 6 Jun 2009
J. M. Salinas (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Metal Opera Vol.1 & 2: Gold Edition (Audio CD)
I have to admit, I had heard so much about Avantasia and how brilliant The Metal Opera was that I was really keen to get my hands on this Gold Edition.
The presenation is brilliant, with a track by track commentary by Herr Sammett himself, song lyrics, pictures and a written interview.

Musically though, I was exspecting to be blown away given how many positive reviews this record has received and I can only say I was disappointed.
The production is nor as elaborate as that of Rhapsody, for example nor as stilistically eclectic as that of the little known Spanish band Mago de Oz.

So what have we here?

Well, just pure and simple power metal. And don't get me wrong, it's a very good power metal record at that, but it does not bring anything new to the table. I found very telling reading the sleeve notes of lengendary ex Helloween frontman Michael Kiske when he received the demos for the material he was supposed to sing. Upon being asked what he thought his reply was, and I quote: "I've sung all these songs ten years ago already".

Precisely.

That was my review a few months ago. I have now upgraded this gold edition to 4 stars. I still stand by the points I made some time ago. But both albums grow on you. I Particularly like the more extended pieces where Avantasia get a bit more prog. They require a three full listents before you really appreciate how good they are.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely awesome, 2 Jun 2014
Mr. G. J. Buckley (Devon, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Metal Opera Vol.1 & 2: Gold Edition (Audio CD)
I bought this after hearing "The Mystery Of Time" and it didn't disappoint. Both discs are absolutely wonderful, musically and lyrically. The storytelling is deep and mysterious and a joy to immerse oneself in for the ultimate listening pleasure. This is probably the best music that I have discovered in many years. The presentation is also really nice with a lovely stitched in booklet, detailing much of the material contained on the discs.
Wonderful stuff!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, 25 April 2014
Wayne Ash - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Metal Opera Vol.1 & 2: Gold Edition (Audio CD)
I cannot rate this product high enough. Not only is the music top quality but the book it comes in and the amount of effort put behind the whole thing has impressed me greatly. The whole story, lyrics, look/feel and most importantly sound was worth the very reasonable price.

If you like Avantasia you will love this.

5.0 out of 5 stars An opera as beatiful, 26 Sep 2013
This review is from: The Metal Opera Vol.1 & 2: Gold Edition (Audio CD)
and stunning like nothing else.
Seriously, everything was fitting perfectly together. The story line is amazing and the songs are powerful as well. Most of the times, you do not even get such quality work anymore, so it is nice to see (or hear) that there are some good bands/artists left who still understand a thing or two about music.
The Metal Opera was actually the first album I bought, so I was not as much unbiased as others who might already know about this great compilation of bands and singers.
However, I am very happy with this. and if anyone likes to have a proper story with some amazing songs, then just listen in to this album...

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 4 May 2013
This review is from: The Metal Opera Vol.1 & 2: Gold Edition (Audio CD)
Item arrived the first expected day. Item consistent with description and in excellent conditions, yet at the lowest price (at that time). 5 stars!

4.0 out of 5 stars the golden opera, 25 Jun 2012
This review is from: The Metal Opera Vol.1 & 2: Gold Edition (Audio CD)
Avantasia is the side project of Tobias Sammet from EDguy and is his concept/opera album. He wanted to do this album with friends of his from other bands and finally did it.
part 1 is a masterpiece of an album. starting the concept for the two albums about a monks(Tobias Sammet) journey (I won't say no more on the story as it is really long). The music on the album is in typical power metal style. The vocals are sang throughout the album with a few high pitch parts and a little bit of talking. the guitar is like power metal fast in parts and some really nice solos. The drumming is again rather fast on most parts and is very well done. Some parts of the album make me think final fantasy like 5 mins in reaching out for the light. the guest vocals on this album are superb and so they should be due to there previous musical careers as ex Helloween vocalist, ex Stradivarius and within temptation + many more. Some of the stand out track are serpents in paradise, farewell, avantasia and the tower.
Part 2 is good but to me it is not as strong as part one and even Sammet says this. The album is still strong but it is less gripping than part one and I find it a little less interesting for some reason I can't put my finger on. The vocals follow part one and work the same. The album has a few slow songs and also houses there heavy song from the metal opera.
the artwork and packaging for this edition is amazing. the packaging is a hard back book case with an imitation leather look and gold print of the shield from part one. The back is also gold text with the track names and what songs are extras. The book inside contains a track by track comment by writer Tobias Sammet with his feelings about the songs. many Photographs of him, the lyrics to each song, an interview with sammet. The book also contains the story he created for the metal opera 1 and 2. The book is very nice and visually pleasing. The disks themselves are stunning as they are golden.
Overall this package is visually stunning more satisfying that the plastic case originals. The music on album one is amazing and is constantly a high standard. Part two drops a little musically to part one and I find it overall a little softer than part one. The story is amazing and the guest vocals work amazingly rather than just the one vocal style. This also makes the album more interesting. This is more of the classic power metal well worth a listen. I think this is just shy of perfect.

4.0 out of 5 stars Quality prog rock, 31 Jan 2009
This review is from: The Metal Opera Vol.1 & 2: Gold Edition (Audio CD)
This double CD is nicely packaged in a DVD size booklet. You can hear the musical progression from volume 1 to 2 which develops to perfection in the later CD The Scarecrow. Relative to this 5 star album which every progressive rock fan should have in their collection, I'd give Metal Opera 4 stars. If you're undecided about Metal Opera just buy The Scarecrow and work back to this one. You may also want to check out the Ayreon albums.

The Metal Opera Vol.1 & 2: Gold Edition
The Metal Opera Vol.1 & 2: Gold Edition by Avantasia (Audio CD - 2008)
Click for more info