5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Tchaikovsky, 18 Jan 2014
This review is from: Tchaikovsky: Souvenir Russe, Violin Concerto op35 (Audio CD)
There are many recordings of the Tchaikovsky violin concerto, and I already have Chung (1967) and Milstein (1973) so felt it worth getting a version in modern digital sound. Many recordings are coupled with other great concertos of which I've already got several recordings. I considered Jansen, also coupled with the orchestrated Souvenir d'un Lieu Cher, and Fischer with the original piano accompanied Souvenir and orchestral Serenade and Scherzo. To some extent I chose Skride as the CBSO are my 'home' orchestra and I've seen Nelson's conduct them several times, although I've not been able to get to any of the concerts where his fellow Latvian Baiba Skride has been playing. It's good to see the CBSO's long serving harpist Robert Johnston (who I've met walking his golden retrievers in one of our local parks) credited in the booklet for his contributions to the Souvenir and Swan Lake extracts.

Skride gives a lyrical, poetic and unhurried account of the concerto and throughout has a beautiful tone which she maintains in the more urgent finale of the concerto and the Danse Russe. Throughout the concerto and other pieces she presents a beautiful personal interpretation. The recording is balanced slightly in favour of the soloist, but not unrealistically so - in the final Danse Russe the balance is much more natural than in Janine Jansen's recording on her debut CD.

Don't be put off by the cover photo which makes Ms Skride look much younger than the woman in her late 20s that she was when this recording was made. I've admitted my local bias, so all I can say is highly recommended and well worth keeping on your short list when choosing a recording of the Tchaikovsky violin concerto from the many available.

5.0 out of 5 stars She sings and weeps very much, 12 Nov 2010
Baiba Skride
City Of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra
Andris Nelsons
Recording: Symphony Hall, Birmingham, September 3 & 4, 2007

I think Baiba Skride knows Trepak very well (Trepak is a Russian Dance, that the third movement of Tchaikovsky's Violin Concerto is based on). She goes very well with Andris Nelsons the conductor at the finish of the third movement. Not only in the third but in the first movement she has a sense of rhythm.

The contrast exists between the first theme and the second theme of the first movement in the performance of Skride. I think she sings the second theme very well and emphasizes the second theme. For example at 4' 30 of the first movement, she pauses notes a little, and that emphasizes the second theme. She makes full use of the transpositions of the second theme in the recapitulation (16' 32) to make up the recapitulation of the first movement very well.

She plays with virtuosity but not nervous. She sings and weeps very much in Tchaikovsky's Violin Concerto.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful and Heavenly!, 5 May 2014
This is, without a doubt, the most beautiful rendition of the Tchaikovsky concerto that I have ever heard, and I have heard hundreds of performances of this piece over the years. I never get bored though. But this performance brings something very special to it, a sense of intimacy and romance that in some routine recordings is missing. But what really makes this special is the coupling, especially the excerpt from Swan Lake, which is the best actual version of this that I've heard too! I only wish there was a DVD of Ms Skride doing this on stage with the couple from the Pas de Deux. Now that REALLY would send me into orbit, and I would never want to come back - EVER!!

I doubt very much whether there will ever be a better CD of this concerto!

Tchaikovsky: Souvenir Russe, Violin Concerto op35
Tchaikovsky: Souvenir Russe, Violin Concerto op35 by Baiba Skride (Audio CD - 2008)