Gioteck EX-01 Bluetooth Headset (PS3)
Edition: NormalChange
Price:£8.00+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 14 March 2014
I bought this to play on my PS3, and it does the job perfectly well.

The mic quality seems to be good, I haven't had any complaints at all, which is the main thing. It was very easy to pair with my PS3 and the battery last a good long time. It also charges from the same type of USB cable as the PS3 controllers, which is a nice touch. It's got a mute button on the side, which is well placed, and the volume buttons work nicely.

Unfortunately there's two issues that make this a 3 star review only.

The ear...hook? thing. It does work, but it feels like it's going to fall off my ear at any point. It never has yet, and to be honest if it was going to it would have by now, however it's something that I can't quite feel comfortable with.

The major issue though is with the quality of the earphone sound. It's very tinny and fuzzy, and since the ear-piece sits over your ear rather than in-ear I feel like it needed a more substantial speaker to really be effective. Even at max volume it has issues at times and it seems remarkably adept at playing background noise over voices - I first thought that the people I play with were all using poor microphones (though that's statistically unlikely), but after switching to a different mic headset for a change I realised it was actually the speaker quality of this headset.

So, it's OK, it's a good price and if you run the voice through your TV or whatever and just use it as a bluetooth microphone it's all good.
on 9 March 2011
Before i start i didn't have my hopes up to much for this product because of the cheapness of it compared to the proper sony ps3 bluetooth headset. However i was pleasantly surprised, although build quality isn't really up to much it is light, comfortable and does the job its designed to do..

The build quality of the headset would explain why this costs half the price of the sony headset.. It feels cheap and i guess if you gave this to a child to use then it probably wouldn't last a week, However if it is solely for the use of an adult then with reasonable use it would last the test of time.

Using the item brings up a few other niggles...when actually using the device the audio and microphone are probably on par with any other typical bluetooth device so no complaints there..Its easy enough to mute the microphone with a push of the button same goes for the volume control.. Although the main problem i had was with the fit..Because of the lightness and the fact that the speaker part sits on your ear instead of inside it moves around a lot, therfore no quick head movements are reccommended. But saying that it is comfortable enough for a long period of use.
Battery usage is probably the same as any other, not really sure as when i'm not using it i have it on charge anyway so i can't say for sure how long it lasts on standby or continued use.
Altogether i'd have to say for the price you are getting a pretty good deal, It does what its suppose to, its comfortable and with reasonable care there shouldn't be any problems with breakage so all in all i'd have to recommend this product for anyone that doesn't want to spend to much money but are in need of a bluetooth head set for their PS3. It'll never match the quality of an official headset but it does come close..
on 12 March 2010
Nothing but good things to say about this product. It has been designed for in-game communicating and it does just that - nothing more, nothing less. It obviously isn't a high tech surround system (why would it even try to be?) but the quality of the sound is good and stable.

The earpiece is very comfourtable, because it doesn't go into your ear. It has good battery length (charge via usb from your PS3) and I think it looks very good also.

Unlike some other reviews say, you CAN change the side from right to left if you want to.

It also has built-in volume adjustment buttons and a mute button which is a very appreciated feature.

With the low price tag this is truly a steal. Two thumbs up!
on 18 April 2014
WOW!
This is my first ever PS3 headset and I have to say I love it!
I opened the securely packaged box and the headset was there.
As I opened the headset box charged the headset and set it up I thought why not have a chat with my mates?
My mate has £30 Turtle Beaches and He said WOW!
He said to me the Gioteck is better than turtle beaches
At first he said did you get a£100 headset? I said no
I have to say the quality is stunning and I would give more than 5 stars for this.
I would definitely recommend this to anyone who wants one as it is great quality and cheapest in the market comparing to eBay and it also came in 1 day!
Thank you. A++++
on 6 September 2011
great peice of kit i wanted a headset for my ps3 as i had a wired one and was getting fed up with tripping over the wire so went for this one and i must say it works really well with my ps3 the speaker is good and the sound is clear can hear eveything with this headset i would recommend it to friends worth the money
on 2 July 2008
I use these for the PS3 and they are fine.

I got these because they are a clone of the 360 wireless ones. They are lightweight and comfortable to use, the ear pad makes a difference for long term wear. Quality is fine for gaming, not as good as a top brand but good enough. Easy to turn on and off and adjust the volume. It charges from the USB.

Criticisms? You can't check the battery level so you should charge regularly. They also take a while to charge.

However, the instructions are bang on for set up and it only takes a few minutes to do.

Happy gaming.
on 28 June 2008
found it very easy to set up very durable good sound ,so pleased bought 2 more for friends
on 15 May 2009
First of all i must say i disagree with alot of the negative feedback, iv had this mic already which i bought from Game shop, my nephew had broke it, and i now need a new 1, and i must say im definatly going to buy it again, this mic had crystal clear audio quality, your friends and other people online will here your voice crystal clear, i normaly talk at the time when your in the lobby and thers 10 other people talking, and my voice always gets through to everyone thanks to this headset, 10 out of 10, buy it or miss out, iv made all my friends buy it and il going second rounds on it myself. giotec mic, here i come. AGAIN!
on 5 January 2011
I have decided to take to reviewing this product at the end of its use. I have been using it with my ps3 for a while now but as of recently... well, we'll get to that.

Everyone on the playstation seems to like to have their voice heard now. Granted some seem to do it to just be excruciatingly annoying but it is undeniable a great way to play a game, especially if you have a mate in the game with you as it allows easy communication as if you were in the room with them.

This particular headset is, as you can see, cheap. In fact, in comparison to the official headset and many, MANY other headsets out there... it's extremely cheap! Although some are saying you get what you pay for and it is rather unreliable, I have to say that I disagree, to a degree.

Firstly, is it comfortable? Well, yes... once you get it on. I have to say that this headset is particularly hard to actually get comforbly on your ear, although the mic does move slightly toward your mouth, it isn't a nice snug fit like many others will be, it kind of hangs on your ear for dear life during gameplay and I have had a number of occasions where it has just fallen off. The cushioned speaker, however, does offer it a redeeming feature as it there is no hard plastic to irritate you, I have also realised (after I lost this apparantly detachable cushion) that it also 'cushioned' the sound, so it wasn't as harsh on your ear.

In the year and a half-ish that I have used this particular headset I have been using it with low expectations for such a cheap thing. However I remember being pleasantly suprised by the sound qualuity of both the speaker and the mic for such a low price as other players could be hears nice and clearly and I found that it transmitted my voice quite nicely, you have to realise that I was expecting muffled, screaching and hissing if other peoples' mics are anything to go by when online.

However, with extensive use and losing several times down the side of the sofa it's notable that it isn't that strong. The structure of it is quite weak and I soon found pieces falling off, (i.e. cushion, LED cover) despite the fact it still works, after the ear piece that holds it in place fell off it stopped being a HEADset.

Don't be put off though, this wasd after over a year's of use by me and (my more careless) brother so as with most things it depends on how it's treated. This could have easily lasted longer and like I've mentioned the sound quality itself never dminished, if it wasn't for the ear piece falling off I would still be using it. You definitely get value for your money!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Looks like a hit or miss product given the reviews however i have had seven headset over the years ranging from Nokia to Jawbone and do feel this is the most comfortable headset i have ever used, and not intrusive into my ear-hole with is a bonus after hours of gameplay.

Although I have experienced static from time to time i have found out this could be a isp issue with broadband bandwidth from other online users as this has happened with all my headsets. It could also be something to do with the constant firmware updates by Sony that do seem of late to change the sensitivity of my mic even if i use my £120 jawbone headset which is meant to be used by the US military! Other than the design which i like as it suits my gaming set up, I do think Jawbone wins hands down for detail.

The most amazing fact is though the price, at under £20 i wish i had brought this first as it would have saved me a lot of money over the last couple of years! Would recommend as a great buy and is now my most used headset especially online. It also seems to work better with the End War demo even than the Sony headset as i need to speak much more loudly to get my commands actioned which can be annoying (although this might be to do with me having an US import!).