Format: DVD|Change

on 12 January 2009
A current high water mark in British comedy.

Difficult to classify and maybe that's why it hasn't done so well. It's far more subtly rendered than the title, the initial premise (three women on the pull, woohoo) or the DVD cover photo would suggest. Certainly not an everyday 'sitcom'. No jokes, punchlines or canned laughter; just the fascinated embarrassment of seeing life (theirs and ours) laid bare. In places the depth of characterisation, quality of acting and sharpness of observation is breathtaking.

If watching the similarly formatted 'Gavin and Stacy' is like being pelted with wet fish and melted vanilla ice-cream then watching this is akin to being sliced up by Heath Ledger's Joker.

Watch any episode at random and if you are not mesmerised then may Basil Fawlty have mercy upon your philistine soul.

So good it hurts.
This series, first broadcast on BBC3 in 2006 stars co-writer Sharon Horgan as Donna, a woman on the cusp of marriage and hitting thirty. Unhappy with safe but boring fiancé Carl, Donna dumps him and decides to try life as a singleton by moving back in with friends Louise, a sex-starved naïve waitress and Karen, a man-eating alcoholic primary school teacher. Throughout the series Donna finds herself in a variety of situations with and without her friends and ponders `is the grass really greener on the other side?'

Apparently this series was penned by Horgan and co-writer Dennis Kelly because she rightfully found that there were no main roles for women in comedy, which to be honest, there aren't. The characterisation of the three main female roles is fantastic; nobody's especially likeable and witty drunk Karen really stands out as the funniest thing in the show. It's very dark, but if that's your kind of thing, it's a great series. I loved it and it's a shame that the BBC axed it after two series and a Christmas special.
VINE VOICEon 24 March 2008
"Just because it tastes nice doesn't mean it's right. " Well in this case it does!!! The brutal observations about slaggy binge drinking men and women is the funniest thing Ive seen on telly in years. Karen the boozed up primary teacher really is comic gold!!!! watch it its great.
on 4 March 2008
I am so glad that this laugh out loud sitcom has been given a dvd release. It first aired on BBC3 where it went by largely unnoticed (certainly by me) but I see the few fans it gathered really loved it. As I type it is currently getting it's first BBC2 showing and seems to be getting overlooked once more. A real shame. It amazes me that crap like Two Pints Of Lager gets recommisioned again and again and has a supposedly huge youth following when it's shows like this that really reflect todays singleton life styles, for better or worse! Not since Game On has a sitcom been so real and so near the knuckle funny. A truimph for writer and performer Sharon Horgan. If you want a good laugh and a show you can relate to, whether you want to or not, then this is the dvd for you
on 16 March 2008
An hilariously funny, brilliantly performed and near-the-knuckle slice of life for anyone who's been in a long-term relationship and wondered about the grass being greener. In my humble, writer/star Sharon Horgan's a genius - yet the show was criminally overlooked on first showing on Beeb 3. It certainly knocks infantile, repetitive bilge like the inexplicably popular Little Britain into touch. Well worth your time.
on 16 February 2013
One of the many many brilliant British comedies of the last decade or so.

Tanya Franks (Karen) and Paul Keye (Billy) play the best alcaholics on TV. Rebekah Staton is currently in Great Night Out on TV. She plays the most loveable characters, from the slightly insane Louise here, or the spunky smart Kath in Great Night Out. And Sharon Horgan is as dry as they come and infectious - I am talking about her comic acting here; I've never actually met her let alone, .. oh never mind. See her also in Free Agents, with Stephen Mangan.

British sit-coms have come on unvbelievavbley since the old days of the sixties and seventies where the humour was humurous without actually making you laugh.

These girls are laugh out loud funny. You want them all to be your girlfriend just for the comic drama your life would become.

And the support is top notch. Like the wonderfully hopeless Karl, by Cavan Klerkin. And I don't know how to define David Armand's Richard, but you must also see him in How Not To Live Your Life. And Paul Kaye of coruse.

This series is a keeper. Do buy it.
on 2 May 2008
I agree with all the comments already made about this superb overlooked comedy genius. It actually brought back some horrible memories of being a drunk single and definitely a good reminder of how lucky I am! Please buy this if you are looking for class comedy I am already watching series 2 on bbci - unmissable!
on 23 April 2008
Im a bloke and 49 yrs old so outside the catchment range of this
but it reminds me of my 20s - its so real.
Hilarious - the bukkake incident almost made me fall off my chair.
As good as peepshow which is as good as it gets
on 11 April 2009
I loved this series - and decided to buy it for a mate who lives abroad who wouldn't have had a chance to watch it
Before I sent it I decided to watch it again and, second time round, it is still just as funny
My only gripe is the sound quality - it is very difficult to hear the dialogue at times, especially when they are out clubbing
I suspect it is to do with 'video editing' but don't know enough about it to really comment
Still worth a view, it is a classic and the bits I missed were greatfully received second time around - 6 episodes with some quirky interviews of the cast included too

I'm looking forward to Series Two
VINE VOICEon 12 April 2010
I've been thinking about reviewing this for a few days now, after seeing it, and I was perplexed about what to say about this comedy from relatively new Sharon Horgan - about Donna, a pretty 30 something woman trying to find the right person to spend her life with. She has Karl, but he's a bit loopy - and she has her mates like crazy Karen who's meant to be teaching pre-school kids, and pretty Louise, who's a bit lost.

The stories are pretty good, but they have insisted they end after the end of the program, I was expecting this to be a carry-on show where we continue from where it ended, but no. Obviously they keep stories going about Karl and Karen, but otherwise this does seem too two-dimensional at times. I was attracted to this by both Tanya and Sharon, but I don't think it's as good as I expected, it's dull at times and sometimes you feel they're spending too much time on one thing. Sharon was much better in Free Agents [DVD] [2008] in my opinion.

There are a couple of interviews on this DVD which makes it good for fans, otherwise it's pretty much bare bones, which is what you'd expect from a 2Entertain DVD.

For me this is no Black Books, and not really worth getting on DVD, I think it's best to rent first and then make the purchase if you like this.