4.0 out of 5 stars Definitely worth the extra few quid..
In my opinion, Rak is brilliant. I've listened to it more than Konk infact, I was just amazed at how the Kooks have progressed and how they are experimenting with some really different sounds.. if it weren't for Luke's voice on a couple of tracks you would never guess it was them, they've really broadened their sound on this cd.

Shows this band have really got...
Published on 19 April 2008 by G. Heyes

3.0 out of 5 stars Gets more boring with each listen
Published on 27 April 2008 by A. Mills

4.0 out of 5 stars Definitely worth the extra few quid.., 19 April 2008
G. Heyes (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Konk/Rak (Audio CD)

Shows this band have really got talent, so DEFINITELY go for the double cd version.

5.0 out of 5 stars great album, 23 April 2008
A. Shipley "shippers" (Worcester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Konk (Audio CD)
this is a great album, almost living up the the greatness of the kooks's first album. All the songs are catchy and well written, my favourite have to be Mr Maker, stormy weather and shine on, recommended for people who haven't listened to the kooks before, and also for their previous fans

3.0 out of 5 stars Gets more boring with each listen, 27 April 2008
A. Mills (Liverpool, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Konk (Audio CD)
This album is ok, strangely on my first listen I (thought I) instantly loved it, but the more I listen to it the more often I find myself skipping through tracks. Track 1 is perhaps the best, a number of others (maybe even the whole second half of the album) are pretty bland and are second rate versions of tracks off the first album. Plus Luke's voice begins to grate after a while. I've no doubt I'll give it more of a chance yet but I'll do that at the risk of becoming even more bored with it. Finally I can't see myself still listening to this in a year's time, whereas, thanks to 'Konk'(which is possibly the best thing about the album), I've rediscovered their first album and have found myself listening to it all over again.

3.0 out of 5 stars Konking out, 22 Dec. 2008
M. Speller "mattwareherts" (Herts, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Konk (Audio CD)
The Kooks always had a tough task. After the hit of their debut and how it saturated the market, the follow up was always running the risk of being quickly dismissed as much of the same. The album needed to maintain the same happy, optimistic, youthful vibe but add some new dimension. Unfortunately they forgot the last part, I listen to this album and feel all the tracks were on the previous release. Nothing really wrong with that, but I like to see progression in an artist.

The album starts with four tracks that all could have been singles, and may have been. I think that is my point, "See The Sun", "Always Where I Need To Be", "Mr Maker" and "Do You Wanna" are all pretty samey, nevertheless good, and merge into one Kooks track. By the time "Gap" appears, sounding suspiciously like "Match Box" of the debut, the listener has lost a bit of interest and it becomes a background album.

I don't particularly think that the album is as good as the previous it feels like their best has been spent and this is an attempt to eek out one more samey album. They have their formula and they are sticking to it, good for them but for me it shows a lack of creativity and is rather disappointing. A band that stays in the comfort zone is a rather dull and unimaginative beast that normally doesn't have much of a future.

*** like: Kooks of old, The Thrills ***

4.0 out of 5 stars It grows on you..., 6 Jan. 2010
This review is from: Konk (Audio CD)
After their massive debut album 'Inside In/Inside out', The Kooks always had a job on their hands to emulate the success of their first release. I was thoroughly impressed with this offering so was naturally eagerly anticipating 'Konk'. On first listening I wasn't blown away by it, but having listened to it a few times I can appreciate how good it actually is. In response to a few negative reviews I've seen on here saying 'they've blown it etc' - I strongly disagree. Yes, it's not as good as 'Inside In/Inside Out', but that was never likely to happen - but 'they've blown it'? I think not. This album still has more than enough good songs to maintain The Kooks high reputation. Personal favourites include 'Gap' - in my opinion a return to the easy listening tracks of the first album, the edgier 'Sway' and the sensitive 'One last time'.

In summary, it's well worth a buy for any Kooks fan. Apart from a few songs the album has a very upbeat, happy feel to it, which is infectious. Not as good as 'Inside In/Inside out, but certainly a very good album nonetheless.

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't be too put off, 16 April 2009
The usual suspect (2nd aisle on the right, top shelf) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Konk (Audio CD)
I was a little put off by the negative reviews on here but whilst on a long flight recently I decided to give Konk a whirl. I really isn't bad! If you like the singles you'll like the album, simple as. It's not a few good songs and the rest is pap.
Perhaps I'm wrong but the thing I find with The Kooks is that they're a pub band - I just don't see their music getting played at a huge festival somewhere and sounding good. In a small sweaty pub, excellent though! Don't think this is a bad thing though.

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid second album, 13 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Konk (Audio CD)
The Kooks second album is a solid follow-up to their highly promising debut 'Inside In/Inside Out' and, although there appears to be no real progression in the material delivered here, the band are tight and riff-driven in much the same way that 'Supergrass' were back in the mid-1990s. Luke Pritchard, who writes most of the songs, is clearly talented; this album is definitely worth investing especially at the highly competitive price of under £1!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good album with great extra CD, 19 April 2008
M. Askwith "Ueavb" (Cambridge, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Konk/Rak (Audio CD)
'Rak' is very good, i'm even tempted to say that it's better than Konk itself. On a few of the former's tracks Luke Pritchard doesn't sing but rather the lead guitarist Hugh. His voice has much more depth than Pritchard and makes for some amazingly emotive and deep songs. I think that Watching The Ships Roll In and No Longer are truly fantastic and much better than anything on Konk. These two tracks are worth the £12.95 or whatever it is that the album costs, and are definitely good enough to warrant buying the limited edition copy rather than the normal version.

Trust me, the progression of the band and the use of Hugh's amazing voice is something definitely worth listening to.

4.0 out of 5 stars RAK is good, 28 April 2008
Listening to it now.

Very good, worth getting the special edition if you are gonna buy the album at all.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great second album, 9 May 2008
This review is from: Konk (Audio CD)
ok, so it isnt quite as good as the masterpiece that was Inside In/Inside Out but its still pretty great and definetly not dull as other people have said. There are lots of really good songs on there (along with a few misses i.e Shine On). Sway is an absolute gem and Love It All is briliant. This is a great effort from Luke and the rest of the boys and is well worth the money.

Konk
Konk by The Kooks (Audio CD - 2008)