4.0 out of 5 stars "Da best eazy listenin' album in da world. Not.."
It's a bit of a funny one, this... Almost a statement of intent rather than just another album:

Published on 23 Dec. 2007 by D. Hall

2.0 out of 5 stars Not brilliant
Published on 23 Jun. 2007 by Mr. B. W. Alexander

4.0 out of 5 stars "Da best eazy listenin' album in da world. Not..", 23 Dec. 2007
D. Hall (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Era Vulgaris (Audio CD)

As has already been stated numerous times, this is certainly one album that takes a bit of getting used to. If you're just discovering QOTSA this probably isn't a great starting point and even if you're already a bit of a fan it probably won't grab you straight away.

For one thing, you'll have to get your head around the way it's been mixed - On first listen certain high frequencies you'd expect to hear in a music recording simply aren't there, meaning that the album sits in a slightly uncomfortable, not-quite-low-fi sounding grey area... And if you're anything like me (ie. already concerned that you listen to far too much loud music) it might cause you to panic temporarily in the belief that you've gone fifty per cent deaf overnight. Repeated listens however, will reveal that the album is actually quite cleverly mixed and although it may not sound particularly conventional, somehow it helps the album to feel that little bit more twisted and awkward and a bit, well, seedy really.

Once you've gotten used to the mix you then have to contend with the hugely raw, angular nature of the songs. Genuine use of melody is pretty sparse but therein lies the secret of this album - The more you listen to it, the more little hooks and catchy lyrics start to leap out at you seemingly from nowhere, and that's when the cleverness of it all dawns on you. It's almost as if the songs in their entirety aren't really the focal point of the album at all but are merely Generation Game style conveyor belts laiden with lots of cool stuff and the occaisional grand prize; a means of keeping everything moving along until you see something you really like.

This is a daring album in the sense that it will cause even the biggest of QOTSA fans to abandon their preconceptions of where the band is (or isn't) headed, and to once again face the music with a completely open mind, and in that sense it's actually quite refreshing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 30 Dec. 2009
This review is from: Era Vulgaris (Audio CD)
Ok,so to start with, I'm not gonna mention THAT album (apart from just then). Seriously though, 5 years in the world of music is a long time. The only real constant since then has been Homme himself, who seems to grow with confidence and audacity as a composer with each release.

Take the opener, turn on the screw. The trademark gush of guitars is there, but timed to perfection with joshes' groaning(in a good way) and the static drumming. Which means that I don't mind when it breaks down into the same guitar solo and the same abrupt finish that seems more at homme on livelier tracks. what follows is nothing short of a monster of a track, (which I won't describe since thousands of reviewers will have focused on it previously) but even that finds its' match here. A choice track could be the eerily good 'into the hollow' or singles 'make it wit chu' and '3's and 7's'. Despite the air of disappointment surrounding the album, I find myself glaring at the fools expecting sftd 2. If that album was a trip cross the desert, and lullabies a haunting grimm fairy tale, then this album is nothing of the sort. qotsa seem to have captured the essence of life in a 50's power station (not like I'd know), and that suits me just fine.

Don't believe the doubters. Find it. Buy it. Love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Am i listening to the same album????, 4 July 2007
Gigs (Christchurch, Dorset United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Era Vulgaris (Audio CD)
Seriously, i cant believe anyone would give this album such a low score. I can only assume these people heard "No-one Knows", and thought all QOTSA was from the same mould. This is, in my opinion, the best and most consistent QOTSA album. Every tune has the weird, grungey, dirty feel which i so love about there music. It is almost unclassifiable, and all the better for it. This is'nt Bon Jovi, this is a challenging ride which is a very rewarding experience. Listen to it a few times and the subtle groove which cuts through the entire album comes to the fore. Stand out tracks are "Sick, sick, sick" and "Make it Witchu", but every track is a gem. Buy it and make your own mind up.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Era of QOTSA . . ., 15 April 2014
This review is from: Era Vulgaris (Audio CD)
I've read so many negative reviews of this album, and i'm ashamed to say that it delayed me buying it for some time.
QOTST came to my attention with the release of Songs for the Deaf. A great album, and one I seriously overplayed. Now owning all of the QOTSA albums, I can say that every one of them has a place in my heart. All of then differ from each other, apart from the most important thing of all, Josh Homme.
For me, Mr Homme's is the most talented, charismatic and consistent songwriter about. I've been listening to a diverse range of musiv from the moment my ears were able, and I have to say, there aren't many who compare.
To the album then.
On first listening,I was quite suprised at how unpolished it was in comparision to SFTD. It has an almost industrial sound to some tracks, Guitars more abrupt, short riffs and an almost under produced sound.
But you know what? The songs are still there. Turnin' On The Screw is a great opener, all fidgety riffing, impudent vocals and really to the point. There's always a real confidence to Homme's songs, his imprint unmistakeable.
I'm Designer has some real knowing lyrics - a nod to Homme's view on fame no doubt.
Misfit Love just oozes coolness. Other bands try, but with these guys it just comes natural. Almost incidental to the music.
I love that Make it Wit Chu is resurrected from the Dessert Sessions. It deserves to be heard!! I'm choosing this one for the first dance of my yet to be announced wedding. Also have to find a bride first . . .
I really mean it when I say that this album just gets better after every listen.
Is there that many bands who have such a consistantly strong back catelogue? Not in my experience.

4.0 out of 5 stars This feeling inside of my head, 12 Jun. 2007
E. A Solinas "ea_solinas" (MD USA) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Era Vulgaris (Audio CD)
Queens of the Stone Age smash and roar through some of the best, most influential hard rock out there, even with a lineup that never seems to be the same twice.

And while their latest, "Era Vulgaris," starts off with a whimper, it quickly works itself up into a bang that can be heard right through the end. Their music here is grimy, rough and raw, but it tries out some new sounds and quirkier edges, without losing the grimy, brooding feeling.

It opens rather limply -- "Turning on the Screw," a jumbled tangle of clashing cymbals, drums and almost mute basslines, which just sort of meanders around in circles. Josh Homme sings mournfully that "You got a question?/Please don't ask it/It puts the lotion in the basket."

Fortunately things perk up in the next song -- dark, rapid riffs and twisting melodies are all over "Sick Sick Sick," a creepily rapid song that gets more tantalizing as it continues. And it leads in to more good music of various types -- the sinuous desert-rock, "Misfit Love's" weirdly plaintive lament, creepy industral grinds, tightly-woven rock'n'roll with a catchy edge, fuzzy blasts of muscular metal, and finally the shifting, layered finale "Run Pig Run."

"Era Vulgaris" is something of a contradiction -- it's a very polished album, but it also has grime, sweat and rough edges. That is to say, the band is expert at spinning some really tight songs with few weaknesses, but it's got the raw power you usually associate with young bands. Bless their dark little hearts.

Homme's rapid, nimble guitar goes overtime with fast, sharp riffs. And that guitar is woven with some dark murky bass, rapid drums, darkly curling keyboard and occasionally some samples (a rattlesnake?), all played with rapid-fire energy. The music twists itself either into a hard-rock rope, or a thunderstorm of brooding, shifting musical layers. And they're not afraid to throw in something quirky and weird, like "Misfit Love."

Homme's jagged lyrics all center on his life near Hollywood -- selling out ("How many times must I sell myself before my pieces are gone?"), sex, taking risks and leaving the past behind all come into play. Homme sings them in a rough, enthusiastic voice, although he also gets to roar and groan some spoken lines -- and even gets accompanied by the smooth-voiced Mark Lanegan and mournful Julian Casablancas.

Hollywood never seemed so alarming and enticing as in "Era Vulgaris," which starts rather weakly, but soon blossoms into a dark, dirty little gem. Vibrant.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best QOTSA album yet, 9 Jan. 2009
This review is from: Era Vulgaris (Audio CD)
I never used to be more than a casual fan of this band, but this album has changed all that. The rhythms are complex and pounding, lyrics intelligent and razor sharp, and when they slow down for tracks such as "Make it Wit Chu" they display their diversity and cool.

Buy this if you are sick, sick, sick of the bland music-by numbers that fills the charts. This is QOTSA's most consistently brilliant album yet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dark,fun and superb!, 24 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Era Vulgaris (Audio CD)
Era Vulgaris is a dark trip through killer fast-paced tunes like 'Sick,Sick,Sick' or 'Battery Acid'.You have some classic rock'n roll Queens sound in `3's and 7's' and one hell of a ballad 'Make it wit Chu' or 'Into the Hollow'.Each and every one of the songs in this album has it's own atmosphere and won't let you down,trust me.
The album includes as Bonus tracks the tunes 'Running Joke' and 'Era Vulgaris' that wasn't included in the international version of the album despite being the title track.
The album takes very different directions with each track,containing distorting guitars,mezmerizing bass,misterious keyboards and high-quality drumming.The voice of Josh Homme uses new techniques in this album,being different to material from previous 'Songs for the Deaf' or 'Rated R'.

Listen to the album with an open mind and try not to compare it to previous efforts from the band,because this album is not made in the same pattern.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Killer Queens Album!!, 4 July 2007
Matthew Lewis (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Era Vulgaris (Audio CD)
Absolutely brilliant QOTSA album, with loads of future classics throughout the track listing. My only gripe is the new version of "I Wanna Make It Wit Chu" but that's only because I know the Desert Sessions original.

I ordered my copy through this listing and received the German Edition of the album, which has the regular artwork and tracklisting with the new re-recorded version of "The Fun Machine Took A S**t And Died" as the sole bonus track instead of the UK version which features "Running Joke" and "Era Vulgaris" as bonus tracks. Just personal preference, but I think the German tracklisting is far more streamlined and works better than the UK version, while obsessive fans may prefer the Japanese import version which has "Running Joke", "Era Vulgaris" AND "TFMTASAD" as bonus tracks...

4.0 out of 5 stars Like an Ice cream on a cold winters day, 20 Feb. 2008
This review is from: Era Vulgaris (Audio CD)
I must admit that after the first few listens I wasn't convinced and put the CD away. A few months ago I was reading some reviews for this disc and the guys were raving about it. I put the tunes back on my IPOD to give it another try and whaddya know, I like it! It is so different than their other stuff so perhaps my pre-conceived notions impacted my ability to really hear this CD. I think their are some amazing songs on this CD like "Sick, Sick, Sick" and "Misfit Love" , "Into the HOllow" and the very cool "Suture up my Future". I would have to say that It isn't my favourite Queens CD, but most definately it's worth 4 stars.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not brilliant, 23 Jun. 2007
Mr. B. W. Alexander "Demonic Upchuck" (Southampton UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Era Vulgaris (Audio CD)
People keep saying that this one will grow on you after a few listens but its still not doing anything for me. Im sure everyone has their own reasons for loving this band and hears different things that appeal to them. For me this is completely lacking in the depth, atmosphere and drama of their previous releases. All their albums are different and tend to have a distinctive vibe that runs all the way through - with Era I can certainly hear what Homme et al were trying with this when he said about it having a kind of trashy LA Hollywood feel. They seem to have captured the vibe but its let down by an almost complete lack of memorable tunes / hooks this time around. The jams are all pretty repetetive and indistinctive. I generally feel its a lower standard of songwriting. Queens have always had melodies / riffs that bend my ear in unexpected ways and for me, they're just not present on Era. I also felt that the kind of robotic, electronic-y production didn't sit well with a lot of the tunes. Whilst that was clearly a deliberate artistic choice by the band, i really wasn't feeling it - didn't sound like a rock band playing as a band to me. Just generally a bit disappointed really. Never mind, im sure they can write another brilliant album in time! Anyway, by the look of the other mainly positive reviews here plenty of people are getting their kicks out of it, so its cool.

Era Vulgaris [Australian Import]
Era Vulgaris [Australian Import] by Queens Of The Stone Age (Audio CD - 2008)