Format: DVD|Change

VINE VOICEon 10 June 2008
The BBC has produced an oustanding focus on China. A China you would never see on a regular tour. Magnificent diverse landscapes, the enormous contrasts of the plants and animals, the ingenuity of China's ethnic groups. Water buffalo on mountain paddy fields. Paddy fields with golden carp. Clever! I was completely captivated. The photography is superb. This will make you want to visit China. After enjoying the DVD immensely, the book was a must buy.
0Comment| 120 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I am not generally a great fan of nature documentaries but I am a great fan of China so I watched this series when it was on the TV and it was so good that I just had to get it on DVD. The series consists of six hour long episodes, each of which focuses on a specific region of China and details not only the wide variety of wildlife in the area but also information on the culture and history of China itself.

This series has been brilliantly made with some excellent photography and seems very well researched. Each episode is never anything less than fascinating and easily understandable even if you don't have much prior knowledge of the subjects covered. This DVD also includes an interested making of documentary but it is the series itself that truly impresses. Anyone who likes nature documentaries should love this series but even if your interests lay in China in general you should also greatly enjoy this show.
0Comment| 131 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 June 2008
I have not purchased this DVD however I have watched almost all of the series on BBC2 and it is one of the best, if not THE best BBC documentaries i have seen in recent years. If you are remotely interested in this country, you have to buy this DVD. The photography is mindblowing and the beauty of this huge country is portrayed brilliantly by the makers of this series.
The defining brilliance of this series is that it doesn't just cover the nature of china, it covers some of the amazing peoples that live there, the countless ethnic groups and their lifestyles. There are many brilliant moments in this series, some of which nearly brought me to tears.
BUY THIS DVD, NOW!
22 comments| 97 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 July 2008
This is the best made documentary I've ever seen. It's not just about the extremely beautiful country, but the lovely people and the way they get along with nature. The music is wonderful. I really, really enjoy watching it. Definitely an item for collection. In fact, I'm going to buy some as a gift for my Chinese friends. They would have the chance to watch it but do not necessarily without TV commercials, which would ruin it.
on 10 June 2008
I don't have the DVD yet,but having watched the series on BBC2 will certainly be getting a copy. The programme demonstrates all that is the best in documentary making. The photography is amazing and the narration by Bernard Hill is just perfect,as is the musical accompaniment. For anyone who is remotely interested in China and it's varied content, this is for you. You would never see as much even if you were to visit the country.I would recommend this to everyone.

Jan 2010. I now have the DVD and having watched it again can only echo my previous comments.
on 8 June 2009
I wasn't going to do a review on this disc but thought the criticism in the other reviews is too harsh and many may miss out seeing some stunning images of China if they take note of the poor reviews. Documentaries for me are about facts than entertainment but I found it interesting and entertaining. Most of the images are way above DVD quality there are some lapses in low light conditions but that's more about the photographic conditions than the transfer. I viewed on 50' Panasonic Plasma with BD played on Playstation 3. The commentary is absolutely fine too and no female commentary on my disc.
on 23 December 2008
I was very disappointed in this Blue-ray. The quality of the images ranged from about Super VHS to DVD, it never hit the quality that I had previously seen on BBC HD.
It was such a drop that I thought the Blu-ray player or HDMI lead had gone faulty.
As this was my first Blu-ray disk purchased I even took the player (top Pioneer) back to the shop. When playing other BBC products there was a big jump in sharpness.
The BBC have produced a very poor disk.
33 comments| 34 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 June 2008
As usual the BBC have excelled in this work. A very well deserved 10/10. Almost 6 hours of stunning education for less than £15. Now I must go and see China for myself.
44 comments| 18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Okay, I see that this DVD has an almost universal five star rating and I understand why - it really is beautifully filmed and initially I would also have gone for the five star rating. Then about half way through the episodes I started to get an itch that wouldn't quite leave me. Whilst this is a glorius and staggeringly well filmed series it is highly superficial. Where the benchmark David Attenborough programs leave you feeling that you have learned and been educated and entertained in similar amounts to the sense of wonder of our world, this DVD does not achieve that. Yes, I was in awe of the mountains, the people, the enviroment and animals but, I didn't actually feel satisfied with the sound bite knowledge that was conveyed. I will say that it does perform a neat trick into fooling you that it is high brow infotainment but actually it is little more than a technicolour super-saturated set of moving postcards. But it does make me want to go there....
on 19 January 2009
I had high hopes for this series but it doesn't quite make it. It's not bad and I have enjoyed watching it, but it's not a patch on the "Life" series and makes me all the more sad that "Life in Cold Blood" is the last installment.

The photography is good and the subject fascinating. But the pacing is rather uneven with some scenic shots (sometimes in slow motion) that feel like fillers. The most disappointing aspect is the narration: the script is overly flowery and there are repeated attempts to build suspense via emotive scripting rather than letting the images speak for themselves.