5.0 out of 5 stars An Oustanding Focus On China
Published on 10 Jun 2008 by Well Read

3.0 out of 5 stars Where did the HD go?
Published on 4 Feb 2012 by D Howard

5.0 out of 5 stars An Oustanding Focus On China, 10 Jun 2008
Well Read "saro319" (Norhampton England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Wild China [DVD] (DVD)
The BBC has produced an oustanding focus on China. A China you would never see on a regular tour. Magnificent diverse landscapes, the enormous contrasts of the plants and animals, the ingenuity of China's ethnic groups. Water buffalo on mountain paddy fields. Paddy fields with golden carp. Clever! I was completely captivated. The photography is superb. This will make you want to visit China. After enjoying the DVD immensely, the book was a must buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great series, 9 July 2008
T. R. Alexander (East Anglia, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Wild China [DVD] (DVD)
I am not generally a great fan of nature documentaries but I am a great fan of China so I watched this series when it was on the TV and it was so good that I just had to get it on DVD. The series consists of six hour long episodes, each of which focuses on a specific region of China and details not only the wide variety of wildlife in the area but also information on the culture and history of China itself.

This series has been brilliantly made with some excellent photography and seems very well researched. Each episode is never anything less than fascinating and easily understandable even if you don't have much prior knowledge of the subjects covered. This DVD also includes an interested making of documentary but it is the series itself that truly impresses. Anyone who likes nature documentaries should love this series but even if your interests lay in China in general you should also greatly enjoy this show.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply the best!!!, 7 July 2008
Forest (Lancashire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wild China [DVD] (DVD)
This is the best made documentary I've ever seen. It's not just about the extremely beautiful country, but the lovely people and the way they get along with nature. The music is wonderful. I really, really enjoy watching it. Definitely an item for collection. In fact, I'm going to buy some as a gift for my Chinese friends. They would have the chance to watch it but do not necessarily without TV commercials, which would ruin it.

5.0 out of 5 stars ASTOUNDING!!!, 5 Jun 2008
J. White - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wild China [DVD] (DVD)
I have not purchased this DVD however I have watched almost all of the series on BBC2 and it is one of the best, if not THE best BBC documentaries i have seen in recent years. If you are remotely interested in this country, you have to buy this DVD. The photography is mindblowing and the beauty of this huge country is portrayed brilliantly by the makers of this series.
The defining brilliance of this series is that it doesn't just cover the nature of china, it covers some of the amazing peoples that live there, the countless ethnic groups and their lifestyles. There are many brilliant moments in this series, some of which nearly brought me to tears.
BUY THIS DVD, NOW!

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning Images, 8 Jun 2009
xm4s "Stu" (Bedfordshire UK) - See all my reviews
I wasn't going to do a review on this disc but thought the criticism in the other reviews is too harsh and many may miss out seeing some stunning images of China if they take note of the poor reviews. Documentaries for me are about facts than entertainment but I found it interesting and entertaining. Most of the images are way above DVD quality there are some lapses in low light conditions but that's more about the photographic conditions than the transfer. I viewed on 50' Panasonic Plasma with BD played on Playstation 3. The commentary is absolutely fine too and no female commentary on my disc.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful !!!, 10 Jun 2008
R. C. Lanham "Rich Lanham" (Bristol, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wild China [DVD] (DVD)
I don't have the DVD yet,but having watched the series on BBC2 will certainly be getting a copy. The programme demonstrates all that is the best in documentary making. The photography is amazing and the narration by Bernard Hill is just perfect,as is the musical accompaniment. For anyone who is remotely interested in China and it's varied content, this is for you. You would never see as much even if you were to visit the country.I would recommend this to everyone.

Jan 2010. I now have the DVD and having watched it again can only echo my previous comments.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous look at the real China, 26 Jun 2008
Knight "Maverick2008" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wild China [DVD] (DVD)
As usual the BBC have excelled in this work. A very well deserved 10/10. Almost 6 hours of stunning education for less than 15. Now I must go and see China for myself.

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful in every way, 17 July 2009
Asia enthusiast (Stafford England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wild China [DVD] (DVD)
I had watched the original TV series, then the repeat. I had enjoyed the programmes as much the 2nd time as the first, so decided to buy the DVD.
As with any BBC documentary the photography was stunning (and I find it very interesting to watch the 'behind the scenes' footage and marvel at the lengths the cameramen go to, to get their film).
I found it a perfect balance of people, wildlife and scenery. Narration by Bernard Hill ? - he's just perfect - I could listen to him anytime.
I know that I shall watch this DVD many times and highly recommend it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Where did the HD go?, 4 Feb 2012
D Howard (Blackburn UK) - See all my reviews
I think the content of this film has been covered enough so I will concentrate on the Blu-Ray presentation itself. When I watched the series originally on my HD tv the picture quality was amazing but for some reason this has not transferred to the Blu-Ray. The picture quality is good, but falls way short of all my other BBC Blue-Rays and indeed, the original HD TV broadcast, definitely not HD. Why is this?
I have no technical knowledge to help me understand but I note that on the back of the case it says the video format is 59.94/16:9 whatever that means, rather than the usual 1080/16:9.
If you want real HD quality I would advise you to record it next time it is on your Sky HD box. Still good value at 6.99 but disappointing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wild China, 15 Feb 2009
Mr. J. Shears (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wild China [DVD] (DVD)
Brilliant photography which brought China alive and showed this nation as one of many contrasts. For potential travellers to China it provides the armchair viewer with every opportunity to plan a wonderful itinerary highlighting the colours, character and diversity of this fascinating land.

Wild China [DVD]
Wild China [DVD] by Wild China (DVD - 2008)
5.75