5.0 out of 5 stars "Monster" value for money!, 19 Jan. 2012
Purple Ferret "TPW" (Harrogate UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Seiko Mens 200m "Black Monster" Divers With Steel Bracelet SKX779K (Watch)
The Seiko SKX779 (or "Black Monster") has been around, along with its stable mate the SKX881 (Orange Monster), for about ten years now, and in that time has become something of legend among certain circles. It is intended as an affordable automatic diver's watch, and internet research will demonstrate that it regularly appears in "top ten diver's watches for less than £250" listings.

What's the attraction then? - Let's start by saying that this is quite a big and heavy lump of stainless steel to carry on your wrist. Build quality is generally agreed to be good, and you certainly get the impression that this watch will be with you for a few years to come. The aesthetics are slightly different from the myriad of "Rolex Submariner lookalikes" available in this price range - Whilst the "Orange monster" is rarer in the European market and slightly harder (although not difficult) to track down, the "black monster" is probably more conventional in it's appearance, and doesn't scream "look at me" in quite the way that it's orange cousin does.

The uni direction lapsed time bezel is unusual in that it sits within the casing of the watch. It has a brushed finish with markings etched into it, and deep knurls to assist easy rotation when wet or wearing gloves. As with other Seikos I own, the bezel has a firm positive movement with 120 clicks per full rotation.

The heart of the watch is the "Seiko 7S26" 21 jewel automatic movement used in a few other similar models. It's a tried and tested movement, and whilst not as refined as those used in Swiss watches for ten or twenty times the price, its a rugged and reliable, if slightly bulky movement which is generally good for +/- 15 to 30 seconds a day. On this note, an automatic movement will never be as accurate as an electronic quartz one, but they are often favoured for diver's watches as the lack of need to replace any battery means that you don't have to constantly pay to have the seals renewed each time. Personally I prefer them anyway - there's something about an entirely mechanical set up in the same way that steam trains and classic cars appeal to many. The only downside of course is that because the power is provided by the motion of a small rotor inside the watch, which uses the motion of the wearer's wrist to wind itself up, if you don't wear it - it will stop. Typically, and in common with most automatics, this watch will give around a 40 hour power reserve from "full".

The watch is available on a bracelet or a rubber strap. Personally I'd pay the extra for the bracelet every time. It really is a good one, which receives acclaim in most reviews of this watch. It's comfortable, quiet, and compares very favourably with the bracelet on a couple of Omega watches I have, that cost several times the price.

Possibly the most striking feature of this watch is the lume. The markings are Seiko's "lumibrite", and the quality is outstanding. It is another feature which most reviewers are very impressed with, and easily the best of any watch I own (and there's a few). I think I can say with a degree of certainty that you will not find better lume at anywhere near this price range anywhere else... and possibly not at all!

In summary : A awful lot of watch for the money. A bit unconventional in many ways, and possibly not to everyone's taste in appearance... but it looks far better in the flesh than in photos I think. It is really well built, represents great value for money, is a bit of a legend in certain circles, and I would recommend it as a worthwhile investment for anyone wanting to spend less than £250 on a quality automatic diver that should last them many years to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars Seiko Black Monster, 14 April 2011
Firstly, can I say that my Seiko BM wasn't purchased from Amazon but it DID come from GMT Classics.
Ordered over the weekend, delivered Wednesday morning by 'Special Delivery', absolutely no complaints in that area. OK, not an original Seiko box but came complete with the guarantee and user instructions. But this is a watch review so I'll carry on (still recommend the seller though).

The picture doesn't do the BM justice, it makes the face of the bezel look grainy when actually it's a smooth, brushed finish. It is quite a big watch but not as big as some I've seen or worn! The quality is really good and I didn't realise (until I'd done a fair amount of research) just what an icon this watch is.
The bezel guards at the top and bottom mean that the bezel isn't going to be turned accidentally, it has positive 'clicks' (I counted 120, i.e., one every half-second. It doesn't line up EXACTLY with the 12 hour marker but the positioning is absolutely minimal.
The crown may seem a tad quirky, positioned as it is at the 20 minute marker but this means it doesn't dig into your wrist (I wear my watches with the face on the inside of my wrist so it isn't there at all.
I've only worn it for the last 36 hours but timekeeping seems fine, auto's take a few days to 'settle in' anyway but I wouldn't expect it to run more than 30/40 seconds +/- a week - we'll see. In darkness the luminosity is first class - I'd never experienced Seiko's Lumibrite before but...wow!
The bracelet is stainless with a buckle and push-button clasp so it's not really going to come adrift from your wrist easily....however....if you have to have the bracelet adjusted (as I did, it's a large sized bracelet), take it to a jewellers, it is NOT (unless you are VERY competent or are prepared to take a risk) an easy job. I took mine to a local Goldsmiths who have adjusted bracelets for me before - after half an hour, the technician took it to another equally competent jeweller who returned it saying they they couldn't do it (they added it was a great watch, though!) My jeweller then spent about another half an hour until she succeeded in removing two links and reassembling it. She had never seen a link assembly like it before (and she adjusts Rolex, Breitling, Omega). The pin has three parts, the straight pin that goes through the links and two tiny collars that fit inside the link and fitting all those tiny little bits together...
To me that spells quality and it also means the bracelet doesn't have the all too familiar rattle of 'cheaper' bracelets - and there's solid end-links which are always a bonus. Oh, and there's a flip out extension for diving suits.
The back of the case is solid with a Tsunami logo and has a serial number which, I'm led to believe (but please check yourself) indicates the year and month of manufacture by the first two digits - if this is true then mine was made in August 2010.
The 'glass' is Seiko's own Hardlex which is supposed to be a middle ground between mineral crystal and sapphire, again, only time will attest to its scratch-resistant qualities.
After less than two days I love it, it's quirky, well put together, seems to be keeping great time and, as an auto you just know that someone, somewhere, has had a hand in putting it all together and not just some machine dropping a battery in!
Hope this helps.
Terry

5.0 out of 5 stars Review of the Seiko Black Monster (Steel Bracelet), 2 Feb. 2012
I tried watches from Nite (TX50) and Traser (Commander) which were both returned for refunds as the Nite crown used to dig into my hand (very uncomfortable although the watch was excellent quality but too heavy) and the Traser watch quality was poor (the watch felt cheap and the second hand did not hit all of the second markers around the watch face although the illumination was good). I had purchased these watches as I thought they were good quality and liked the 200m water resistance and night illumination.

With my refund I trawled the net and ended up looking at divers watches for their robustness and water resistance along with good readability and illumination. I found the Seiko Black monster and instantly liked the look of the watch and it had some excellent reviews. The size of the case at 42mm (excluding crown which is offset at 4 o'clock) was ideal as the watch is robust but not massively oversized (my wrist is not particularly large). You know you are wearing it but it is a pleasure to wear. It has some weight to it but it is so comfortable which is a must for me as I like to wear my watch for all occasions which includes whilst running, swimming and weight training. I wanted one watch that does it all, ie that looks smart with a suit which I wear daily, which looks good in casual clothing and can be worn for sports.

I wanted to be able to read the time whilst out at night (mainly walking the dog) and the illumination whilst not up there with tritium does not disappoint. There are some excellent photo's of this watch illuminated at night and it sometimes glows like this picture and is just as good as tritium - but it does not glow like this all the time in the dark though it can always be read.

The bracelets is very comfortable - I have had experience of my wrist being 'in between' sizes of the fine adjustments on other metal bracelets (on the Nite watch in particular) but this bracelet fits exactly like a glove (sized at a jewellers)!!!

I feel I have a bit of a classic here (it appears this watch is a collectable from some forums) and this is a watch that I will wear all the time for every occasion. I have only had it 3 days so far and understand from some reviews that it can be uo ti five minutes fast each month but I can't comment on that at this stage - but for the automatic movement, sweeping second hand, screw in crown, screw on back, luminous markers, hardex crystal, precise bezel rotation, bracelet adjustment for wet suit and quality of the watch itself it's a bargain and I would recommend it to anyone. I can certainly see why other owners want the Orange Monster in addition !!!

5.0 out of 5 stars a little cracker, 22 Feb. 2012
saw this watch on amazon ,and thought,that looks nice.when delivered,came in lovely presentation box with all paperwork and guarantee.the watch is a real beauty.nice and solid .had to get bracelet shortened.only thing is it looses a bit of time over a period of months being automatic.that said,if a piece of metal can be beautiful and practical,this is it.lovely stuff

5.0 out of 5 stars Great buy, 7 Sept. 2014
Ordered this watch from long island watches, all I can say is this is a damn good watch for the money.
I can assure you that it looks much better in reality than the stock photo would have you believe.
Sure, it a big hunk of metal with some heft to it, but that only reinforces the feeling that it's gonna be with you a while!
This watch actually wears quite small considering the measurements.
The lume on the monster is fantastic and I actually think the greenish tint on the markers actually go very well with the matte black dial.
I also think the black one is better than the orange as I feel the black hands and white date window on the OM kinda ruin the look a little (though the new OM rectifies this with white markers with a black outlining)
This watch is a bit of a cult one and rightly so, it doesn't have hacking but who the hell cares? Mine loses about 5 seconds a day which is no biggy really.

I actually prefer Japanese movement to Swiss. I've noticed the hands on my tissot don't line up exactly when the seconds hit 12, compared to all my jap autos.

In short, Do yourself a favour and buy this watch!

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this watch, 19 Dec. 2013
Had watch for about nine months. Used it in salt water once or twice every week for six of those months, not below depths of three metres (I'm not a diver). Also used in outdoor swimming pool. (Never in the shower, I believe hot water and watches don't mix). I love this watch. Its solid, chunky, feels strong and of some substance in the hand. The design of the bezel is very good- the black markings on it have not worn due to its shape and the fact that they are indented. The bezels engineering is good and precise, a nice clear click when turned (its important to wash the watch after wearing in salt water, as with any watch. When it dries, if left unwashed for several uses, the salt that remains may sometimes clogs the bezel making it stiff to turn. I also give it a drop of a synthetic lube once or twice a year). The luminosity of the digits on the face is perfect for me. Very bright at night, and easy to see. The day, date and time are easy to alter with the screw cap thingy (sorry, cant remember its correct name at this time). The strap is strong, and easy to alter to wear over a wet suit or dry suit cuff. Regarding taking out strap links for fitting, to be honest, its easy. View how to do it on U tube. The glass at this time is un marked. I do look after the watch, but its been well tested - beaches, kayaking, fishing, swimming, snorkelling, coasteering, rained on, been dropped (more than once), oh, It also tells you the time very well. If you want a light dress watch, don't get it. If you like strong good looking chunky watch with the features this has then this is well worth considering.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality Watch, 17 May 2013
M. Coxon "bigfer" (uk) - See all my reviews
The seiko black monster is one of those products that when you look and pick it up, just shouts value for money. it will be not everyones cup of tea, but i guess if anyone is reading this has already done their homework, like me. i waited over a couple of months before buying this watch.
i can confirm it does and is everything that it is written about it. strong and smart strap. eye watering lume. nice and sturdy. at £125 delivered from creation watches in 3 days, its an absolute steal. well pleased....

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb - a beast!, 16 May 2012
I am a fan of Japanese automatic diver watches, and have a few Orients, which are amazing value for money. But with the Monster, pay another dollar and go first class. The presence, finish and build quality are just outstanding and, unlike the Orients with their rattly hollow end links, the bracelet on the Monster has solid end links so you will never have this problem.

Lume is legendary and rightly so.

It is a big watch and the styling is not to everyone's taste. It doesn't hand wind or hack. Apart from that it is superb value and is my current knockabout / risky trip wearer

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value for money, 21 May 2014
This watch is great looking, with a high quality feel to it. The bracelet is one of the best in this price range, and is very comfortable to wear. The lume of the watch is the brightest I have seen.

In general this is a great watch at a great price.