5.0 out of 5 stars Famous For Being Formidable, 8 Feb 2008
D. Mancino "D. Mancino" (CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Water (Audio CD)
I recently set myself the goal of listening to everything Colin McIntyre has put out so far. He has written some deeply affecting, beautifully crafted, ultimately uncomfortable songs. I like far more than I dislike but I have struggled to allow myself to enjoy the painfully pretty and precise nature of his music. It reminded me of what was so scary and exciting about the Delgados when I first heard them and what made certain kinds of song from 70's pop radio stick in my head as a kid. MacIntyre's songs can sometimes jam right in the jingle zone where it hurts. I've just listened to The Water and now have to come to grips with hailing him as an actual genius. Unsettlingly good in the manner of an Elvis Costello. Heartbreaking, ferociously precise pop that churns over the zeitgeist without stumbling. I will have to listen to this one a few more times but after just one airing I can tell you I have not been this impressed with a complete album in some time. This album represents a serious attempt at mainstream success and I think he'll have nailed it this time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply a must buy, 14 Feb 2008
This review is from: Water (Audio CD)
The Water is the defining work that will give Colin the recognition that his talents deserves. I have listened to this album a number of times already and simply love the way each track seems to have that warm mass appeal and at the same time offers something deeper for the more musically sensitive. This is truly the sign of a genius. My personal favorite "Future Gods & Past Kings" has to be released as a single but there again I predict all of the tracks will do well. Buy it and enjoy. If you can catch Colin in concert then you're in for something really special as this guy is a proper musician and knows how to entertain.

5.0 out of 5 stars Colin McIntyre... GENIUS, 12 Feb 2008
Hela Shamash "Hela" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Water (Audio CD)
Colin McIntyre's new Album `The water' is deeply moving, inspired and exciting. I just can't stop listening to it!

Having followed Colin closely over the past year, I was concerned my excitement and enthusiasm in anticipating his work would disappoint- it didn't! It does justice to Colin, whose genius is quickly becoming undeniable. This album WILL certainly propel Colin into the international music arena. He is growing a loyal following stretching far beyond the Scottish borders, and this album will accelerate that trend as Colin pulls and taunts the heart strings, and inspires the soul. This album is an artistic success and I have no doubt will prove a commercial one also. Definitely give it a try.

5.0 out of 5 stars Water - essence of life, 8 Dec 2008
Andy Sweeney "music was my first love" (Brighton, East Sussex) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Water (Audio CD)
I was always under the impression that the world would eventually come to its senses and realise just how utterly brilliant Mull Historical Society (a.k.a. Colin MacIntyre) were and he would be catapulted into the big time as one of the deserved stars of our age. After all, his talent for writing fabulously catchy songs coupled with intelligent, quirky lyrics would surely strike a chord with people who love great indie music and he'd start selling albums by the bucketload? Well, unfortunately it didn't work out that way. Mull Historical Society never made it big, despite a sizeable amount of critical acclaim during their career - especially the early days - and they have been filed, certainly by me, as one of the most underrated bands of all time.

It was, therefore, great news that Colin MacIntyre released his first solo debut album, 'The Water', this year and he has, thankfully, presented us with one of his strongest collections of songs yet. This is shimmering indie gold, an album packed full of gorgeous melodies, compositions with originality and integrity, songs to make you grin like a fool one minute and to break your heart the next. From the excellent, instantly lovable opening track, 'You're A Star' to the dramatic, punchy but equally excellent album closer, 'Pay Attention To The Human', featuring a poem recited by Tony Benn, there isn't a moment on this beautifully crafted album which lets you down in any way.

This is a very strong and immensely enjoyable album and it is difficult picking favourites, but if I was forced to then I have to say that 'I Can I Will' is a piece of melodic magnificence reminiscent of early Mull Historical Society which builds into a spine-tingling crescendo. 'Faith No. 2' is a incredibly soul-stirring ballad in 6/8 time. The pure, pumping anti-pop of 'Famous For Being Famous' is an undeniable highlight, as is, 'I Have Been Burned', a gloriously grand ballad which starts in an understated manner and then explodes into an emotionally charged finale. It is one of life's great mysteries why talents such as Colin are only appreciated by a comparative handful of people while the majority of mainstream pop is so soulless, unintelligent and yet so successful. Still, I bought this... and so should you - for your own sake. You won't regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Genius.....Mac Attack, 18 Feb 2008
This review is from: Water (Audio CD)
I have all the Mull Historical Society albums and love all of Colins work. "The Water" is truely a masterpiece mixing great pop tunes "Your a star" "Famous for being famous", "future gods and past kings" with heartfelt ballads "I have been burnt" there is even a touch of Dylan on "Faith #2". And the last track featuring a poem by Tony Benn is just wonderful and makes you want to put the record on again straight away. Anybody with an ear for melody and great sondwriting will love this album. I think I might listen to it again now.....

5.0 out of 5 stars YOU'LL LOVE THIS ALBUM, 19 Feb 2008
Hawes (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Water (Audio CD)
The haunting sounds of Colin MacIntyre - I've played this album over and over again in my car, quite simply brilliant. A must for anyones collection. Buy it and you'll see why!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing !, 7 May 2008
L. Daniels (Cheshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Water (Audio CD)
I went to Colins gig in Manchester last night and was blown away by his performance. My first step as soon as I woke up this morning was to order a copy of the album!! I can't wait to get my hands on it.

Cheers to you Colin for being brilliant live & I'm sure this album will blow me away too. You're a star.

Water
Water by Colin MacIntyre (Audio CD - 2008)