5.0 out of 5 stars Virtuoso
What is there to say, this man is a superb violiist and I love to hear him playing the violin, it talks.
Published 16 months ago by A. Alderson

2.0 out of 5 stars very disappointing
Published on 24 April 2008 by tim ward

5.0 out of 5 stars Virtuoso, 11 Mar 2013
A. Alderson - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Ravishing Virtuosity!, 1 Sep 2012
This review is from: Virtuoso (Audio CD)
The violin sound is warm, expressive and engaging.

The CD opens with cinematic, emotionally evocative "La Califfa" (an arrangement of La Califfa theme by Ennio Morricone, Italian conductor/composer famous for epic, hauntingly beautiful film scores).

Defiant and alluring "Carmen Fantaisie" follows with capricious chromatic melodies brazen like the sultry Carmen.

"Nothing Else Matters." The music begins . . . suddenly nothing else matters but the French impressionist piano notes, subtle dynamic interplay between piano and violin, and the ardent, violin-dominated soaring rendition.

"Csardas - Gypsy Dance"'s wistful violin opening evolves beautifully into rhythmic, uplifting melodies swooping up and down the scales; the tempo changes frequently to express emotions until accelerating to a tantalizing pause, then an abrupt cutoff.

"Dueling Banjos" begins by alternately plucking/picking notes on the violin/electric guitar. The two soon begin a wild virtuoso daring game at an ever-escalating pace, splattering out beautiful notes alone the way creating an exciting musical spectacle.

"Pachelbel's Canon" is serene and moving as a beautiful breaking dawn. The sprightly violin passage (new!) in bright high register could be highlighting the light of a new dawn, which is breaking over the horizon as more musical instruments joining in building to a glorious full-force orchestra explosion.

"Paganini Rhapsody" retains the essence of Paganini's electrifying Caprice No. 24, displaying pure virtuoso passion with a blizzard of wide-interval arpeggios, fast scales, chromatic runs requiring continuous multiple stops, rapid pizzicato, rapid shifting and rapid string crossings through improvisatory melodies with thrills. The orchestra accompaniment makes the showy violin theme and variations even more distinct while adding a festival musical gala atmosphere.

"Somewhere" is sweet, sentimental and intimate. The expressive violin captures the essence of youth, love (not just teen infatuation), commitment, doubts, defiance and rebellion and brings out a rainbow of emotions to epic Romeo and Juliet proportions.

A torrent of descending notes plunge into "The Flight of The Bumble Bee" at blinding speed. The violin sounds a million of busy, buzzing bees dancing, chasing, hovering around one another and in no time they buzz off into the distance. (Garrett breaks violin world speed record playing this in 66.56 seconds.)

"Serenade" is full of longing as the violin weeps through an emotional maze playing a beautiful melody to get it over with rather quickly.

Techno-tinged "Toccata" features fast dance-like rhythms enriched with Baroque style harmonics. The high energy violin sound emits pulsating neon colours throughout, swooping up majestically to end the music on a high note.

The exquisite violin sounds carefree in leisurely paced "You Raise Me Up" as if sailing into the open sea.

A mysterious tune flows in to introduce "Eliza", reminiscent of quirky French romantic comic fantasy films.

Bonus: See booklet for Garrett's charming story telling and creative ideas prefacing each track.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable, 6 May 2008
This review is from: Virtuoso (Audio CD)
This album might not viewed differently by classical music enthusiasts but for a middle-roader like me, it was great. I bought it before my exams and instead of my usual dead silence studying technique, i had this playing in the background. It is very beautiful music and David is obviously well-gifted. I think i will go ahead and get his earlier stuff.

Relating to the tracks, I can never get bored of any 'Carmen' version, Maria Callas et al, so I obviously loved his take on it. Also the track 'Nothing else matters' simply blew me away and I wish it lasted longer. The Paganini Rhapsody is also another winner.

definitely 5 stars for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Virtuoso, 24 Dec 2012
This review is from: Virtuoso (Audio CD)
I first heard David Garrett playing "Bolero" at the final of Dancing on Ice & was so impressed. Buying any of his discs was a must

2.0 out of 5 stars very disappointing, 24 April 2008
tim ward (Somerset) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Virtuoso (Audio CD)
I don't usually write reviews but I'm so disappointed and angry with myself for believing the marketing, that I just have to vent my spleen. The advertising overemphasis on DG's cover of a "Metallica" song implies that this is an album with an edge. Or a genuinely new approach. Or a vision. It isn't. I should have looked at the tracks more carefully, or been warned off by the soft-focus Michael-Ball-esqe cover picture. There is no doubting his technical ability, he is impressive in a rather flashy, "look-at-me-look-at-me" way, but he hasn't yet learned that sometimes less is more. And do we really, really need yet another cover of "flight of the bumble bee"? or "Carmen - Fantasie"...again (Anne-Sophie Mutter's version is much more impassioned anyway)? or (oh puhleease!) "You Raise Me Up"? or "Somewhere"? The orchestral arrangements are okay but the Opera Babes did it first, and better. What offends me most is the sheer lack of ambition, and imagination, in this dreary, lazy middle-of-the-road populist pap. Come on man, get a grip, ditch the marketing drones and produce something genuinely worthy of your talent. I'm sure it will do very well but my advice is "move along now, nothing to see here".
(Thanks all - I feel better now)

5.0 out of 5 stars Virtuoso is Wonderful, 27 Sep 2011
This review is from: Virtuoso (Audio CD)
When I play this CD, I just close my eyes and enjoy every minute of the music. I think this is one of the best I've hard. Would highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful choice of musc, 24 April 2014
This review is from: Virtuoso (Audio CD)
This is my favorite CD so far, mainly because of his conpositions. Wish there were more DVDs from his concerts - particularly his 2010 concert in Berlin with November Rain. I have a new Bose which I bought just for David Garrett music. Wonderful.

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic, 21 Jan 2014
This review is from: Virtuoso (Audio CD)
Love this musician. He's a credit to his generation. Went to see him at a concert in Verona, worth every euro. Virtuoso is one of his best. Not bad looking too!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 23 May 2013
This review is from: Virtuoso (Audio CD)
Been building up a collection of this mans stuff great price and good delivery. Will use again without doubt Brilliant content, well worth a watch

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 10 April 2013
This review is from: Virtuoso (Audio CD)
Very relaxing, he is extremely talented. I bought this on the strength of one track but I would definitely buy more of his albums

Virtuoso
Virtuoso by David Garrett (Audio CD - 2008)