on 25 April 2008
I got one of these, as I have 2 disks out in my lower back.

I have never been able to get comfy with a hot water bottle (that hard neck!) and was always afraid of leaning back on the squishy bit (and gettling skalding water over me).

I had tried the wheat bags you get now, but they are awkward to use unless you lie on your face and put it on your back, and too hard to sit back against.

This product contains 'water absorbed on to a medical grade nonwoven pad' and is a lot softer than a wheat bag, and is flat enough to be able to put behind your back when you're sitting.

The only drawback of the product is that it is not designed for fatties like me. The flaps that are supposed to fold around your waist to close at the front are far too short. As a compromise, there is a piece of elastic with a bit of velcro at each end to use as an extender.

Unfortunately, with my disks out so low I wanted to put it around my hips, but no hope!

I've done a rough measure, and the flaps will do if you have 38" (95cm) waist or less, and the elastic will give an extra couple of inches (5 cm) to play with.

So if you're within the waist range this is a superb product. If you're not I would recommend their microwave hot water bottle instead, as I find the heat pad a lot more comfortable than water filled bottles or wheat.
on 27 October 2008
I have had my Hotties backwrap for a couple of weeks now and I have to say it is simply wonderful for easing my lower back pain. I spend a lot of time on the computer at work, and my back loves the comfort this gives. It gives a nice feeling of support as well. I wear it in the car too for driving on longer journeys, which is great.

If you are worried about whether it will fit around you, I am an M&S size 16 and it fits me absolutely fine with some room to spare.

I wouldn't be without mine!
on 31 December 2010
The item description gives no detail on what waist sizes this is suitable for, which would have very useful. The description says "The Hottie backwrap features an elasticated touch fastening belt in a red tartan insulating fabric to ensure an effective and comfortable fit for almost all sizes" I am a size 20 round the waist being an apple shape, which I know is large but I assumed that "almost all sizes" would include a size 20. However the wrap does not come anywhere near meeting at the ends, let alone overlapping so the velcro would work. Given that it needs to overlap to fasten I would say it would not fit a size 18 either, so I would only recommend this item for anyone size 16 or lower. Which in my opinion is not "almost all sizes".
on 11 March 2011
Brought this as a gift but have now used it myself. I have been doing decorating/painting/carpet cleaning on my week off work and my back as ceased up causing agonising lower back pain. Have been doing gently exercise and slowly stretching/lower back but its will take a week or two before my back is right. Soooo i decided to try the Backwrap.....ooooh how soothing and wonderful it is. Doesnt stop the pain or make the ceased up back get better any quicker BUT it certainly comforts the pain/eases the intensity. And its so easy to use .....in my case its 2mins in the microwave then pop the heat pack into the wrap - then wrap it around my back and attach it with the Velcro straps - and away you go!! Stays warm for ages - over 1hr in my case (so far anyway)
I have now just ordered another Backwrap for my sister. I would defin recommend it for anyone who had on going back pain (as well as short term like myself) BARGAIN!!!
on 9 February 2010
I have been suffering from lower back pain for years and I am sitting in an office every day. So this little wrap was a Godsent for me. I wear it at work in the office, but I also wear it when working in the garden. And thanks to the constant heat my muscles soften so much that for the first time in over 2-3 year I could actually bend down properly and pick up things off the ground.In this very cold winter it also had the benefit of keeping me overall a lot warmer when outside. I love my heat wrap and wouldn't want to be without it. I have already recommended it to all my other bad back friends. Worth every penny!
on 21 March 2009
I purchased this backwrap for my 81 year old mum who suffers from a bad back. She found it easy to warm in the microwave and the tartan fabric nice and soft. The only problem is that she has bad balance and is very weak, when she was wearing the belt she felt as if it was pushing her forward and she found it very heavy. Personally I find it ok but would probably take a while to get used to walking around in as it does feel bulky when you first start wearing it.
Overall I would say that it keeps warm for 2-3 hours maximum but as it is so easy to reheat not a problem. It is comfortable to wear when sitting down and once you get used to the feel of it, it is ok to walk around in it. Much safer for the elderly than hot water bottles.
The only negative I have found with it is that the instructions and heating times are on the heat pad itself and within a week of using it they have rubbed off.
on 17 April 2009
Helpful and easy to use. However, best to use at home is as is too bulky to been worn under clothes when out at work or social activities.
on 29 October 2011
I love this product. I suffered from a road accident this yr and sustained a back injury. I literally can't go anywhere without this because travelling causes me so much pain since my RTA. This heat pack really helps add relief/comfort usually in addition to my daily pain relief around the home too. One of the best heat packs I've ever tried - and I have tried a few. I have used this for several months now.

One problem is that if you are a slimmer size the velcro straps catch on the cotton fabric on the other side and gradually eat away at the cotton outer packaging - so far mine is still just about intact but it is getting quite see-through. The other problem with the velcro straps is it that it catches onto scarves etc and ruins them. Otherwise a really good product.
on 1 February 2010
Follow the simple instructions and experience fast relief!
Obviously not a cure - but does give short term relief(an hour or two)and that can be very welcome. In my opinion a very good, well made, inexpensive product.
on 9 April 2011
Glad we got these 'hotties'. Both my wife and I have problems with our backs (medical conditions), and it seems there's not much the doctors can do except increase or change the medication.
With these things strapped to us we both find life a little more comfortable. We wear them whenever we feel the need, and we keep them on even if we have to go out. My old mum tried mine and loved it, so I just bought another one.
For us, the biggest benefit was that these things helped us to ease up on the amount of medication we needed.
Hotties may not solve our back problems, but they do make them a little more bearable. Much better than hot water bottles, and well worth the money.