5.0 out of 5 stars JVC Noise Cancelling HA-NC250 Headphones
Published on 17 July 2009 by Mr. C. Harris

2.0 out of 5 stars ...you get what you pay for!
Wanted to replace a previous purchase of noise cancelling headphones. (previously Bose QC3 - had two pairs in 6 months both stopped working, with the left speaker giving out no sound) After much research I bought these as they were highly ranked on one of the review websites, and less than half the price.

After using, I couldn't hear any benefit to switching on...
Published on 6 July 2011 by wlw

5.0 out of 5 stars JVC Noise Cancelling HA-NC250 Headphones, 17 July 2009
Mr. C. Harris - See all my reviews
This review is from: JVC HA-NC250 High Quality Noise Cancelling Headphones with Comfortable Ear Pads (Electronics)
I had a pair of Bose QC2 phones and thought they were the box deluxe. The QC2s are a bit big and when the lead needed replacing I thought I'd give the NC250 phones a go. I must say that I am very impressed with them. You are able to use them with the noise cancelling switched off which is an advantage over the Bose QC2s. With the NC switched on, these cool looking phones really come to life. Deep Bass, good treble and a boost in volume that brings the sound on my Sony mp3 player to a good level. The noise cancelling is as good as the QC2s and damps down the noisy deisel engine of the Transit van I drive. They are just about small enough to wear outside without destroying your street cred and look good in metallic black. The lead is shorter than some phones but for mp3 player usage I think they're fine. A new longer lead is easy and cheap enough to buy as it's a standard stereo mini jack. The battery needs replacing about as often as the QC2s after something like 20hrs. The first time you insert the AAA battery in the right ear cup it's a little tricky, but it's not that difficult and I can do it blindfold now (not that I've tried!)
Overall I'd say these phonesare as good as the Bose QC2s and at only a quarter the price, well worth the money. Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars i thought i'd gone deaf! These are BRILLIANT!!, 2 Feb. 2010
S. Henley "Just a guy" (London, England) - See all my reviews
Got these headphones just after Christmas, in preparation for plenty of flying this year.
i've only used in ear headsets before, and although they did a good job i found they slipped out of my ear too regularly.

I went on a business trip in January which was a 7 hour plane ride away and i was excited to try out my new headphones.
when i put them on and switched on the Noise Cancelling, i thought i'd gone deaf they got rid of so much noise!
the music and soundtrack quality coming out of these babies was excellent.
comfort wasn't a problem, i kept them on for nearly the whole flight, and the same on the way back.
and when i did take them off, i was amazed how noisy the flight was. Brilliant.

Bonuses:
if you run out of battery (which i haven't yet) the headphones are still usable.
the cable can be disconnected, which doesn't sound like a biggie, but was quite useful.

So overall these were 5 star for me, did the job perfectly and didn't break the bank!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, but not audiophile quality!, 20 Jun. 2010
Thomas Knight "The-Advanced-Lemon" (Brighton UK) - See all my reviews
These headphones are really really nice. I bought a pair for my girlfriend at first, and she was over the moon and said they were amazing. :) I too, was staggered how good they were when I tried them on, so I went out and bought myself a pair as well!

I've had a few noise cancelling headphones in the past, but none of them have been nearly as powerful or as hiss free as these. In fact, there is virtually no hiss at all. The bass also sounds incredibly crisp compared to other noise cancelling headphones I've tried!

I say 'virtually no hiss', because there is just no hiss at all when you haven't got any music playing through them, or when you've got the track paused, and for Rock music, or pretty much any sort of music played by a band. But audiophile quality they are not, as I listen to a lot of classical music, (especially piano, as I play the piano) and one thing that I noticed as soon as I played piano music through them is that there seems to be an audible distortion of the very high frequency harmonics of the sound when noise cancelling is turned on, especially through the left ear-piece!

In fact, I sent mine back and got a replacement pair because of this, just in case, but the only difference in the new pair is that although they do distort the sound slightly less, they do it through both ear-pieces instead of just the left.

Either you will notice it or you won't. (my girlfriend hadn't noticed at all until I had pointed it out and made her listen very carefully several times over)

To be honest, you get used to the tiny bit of sound distortion, and when you compare it with the amount of white noise you get with other noise cancelling headphones, it's hardly worth worrying about. I use the headphones on the train almost every day, and the improvement over listening with other headphones is staggeringly good.

If you are an audiophile who likes listening to classical music, then you will most probably find the slight hiss caused by the sound distortion quite irritating, but if you don't consider yourself an audiophile, you probably won't even be able to hear it. (you'll just think I'm making it up) And if you listen to music with cymbals in, you DEFINITELY won't be able to hear it!! ;) It's barely noticeable, just annoying for anyone who likes their music to sound absolutely perfect, and for each ear to hear the same quality sound!!

It's just a design flaw anyway. It's todo with the placement of the microphones and their housing, and --may-- be able to be rectified somewhat with some cunningly placed blue-tack... But it's up to you what you do with your £100 worth of headphones!! I take no such responsibility!!! :P

Apart from this, they're great! They're certainly the best sounding noise cancelling headphones you'll get for this price, and JVC always have a better build quality internally then most of their competitors. (I know this for a fact as I've taken a lot of electronics stuff to bits in the past)

Overall, they're a wonderful piece of kit! If you're faced with a noisy environment in which you want to listen to your music, these are the things to get!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good piece of kit, 28 Dec. 2009
J. W. Cartlidge (Stoke-On-Trent, Staffs United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I bought these headphones for my wife ,after she tried to buy me some Bose ones whilst on vacation.
Whilst not being able to justify the cost of Bose kit ,which will only get used a max of 4 times a year(flights),these JVC ones seemed reasonable for the wife who can use them at the gym as well as on flights.
The headphones come in a stiff case which protects them well.
The build quality is excellent,with the rotating ear pieces moving smoothly.
The sound quality is great,and there is very little difference when you switch on the noise canceling(unlike some other models i have tried).
The only down side is that the ear cups a little on the small side(or have i just got big ears?).
Overall a good quality item and value for money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Phones, 21 Oct. 2009
Jp Harvey - See all my reviews
I bought these prior to a trip to Crete. They cut down aircraft noise by over 50%.
They are very comfortable and also look great and the sound quality is superb. The sturdy carry case is extremely handy when you are on a plane as it houses a convenient zipped compartment which holds the adaptors for use on the plane, along with spare batteries (take a few spares as its possible at first to leave the phones switched on which drains batteries quickly).
They are a good alternative to the pricey Bose phones and I would recommend them strongly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent headphones!, 21 Feb. 2010
I bought these headphones after my Bose QC2 got broken (the same small piece of plastic than everybody else, see reviews) and like everybody else, Bose refused to repair them...a bloody joke. Anyway, taking Bose out of the menu, I didn't know where to go, I read quite a lot of reviews about noise cancelling headphones and 95% of them said that this model from JVC was excellent in terms of sound quality and at a third of the price than than the unfamous ones. After so many positive reviews I thought it was worthy to give them a try and I don't regret it, all the contrary. Sound is excellent, they are confi and much more durable than their Bose equivalent. I use them for commuting and travelling and the noise cancelling do work although don't expect to block people's voices because they are not designed for that. Also if the battery runs out you can still use them without the noise cancelling (not always you carry a spare battery) Excellent product at a very reasonable price. Definitely recommended

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Headset, 11 Oct. 2010
I bought this product in Feb 2010, and I'm writing this review in Oct 2010. This means I've had plenty of time with this product. I use it everyday with Ipod Nano (5th Gen).

1) Noise Cancelling: Works. Cuts most low and mid frequencies, so you can't hear the drone of car/bus/airplane engines, but the whine may creep in. Also sirens etc will get through. You'll hear the whine of a fire engine, but you won't hear the car go past!

2) Build quality: I've worn this set at least 8 hours everyday since I bought it. Its very comfortable, and my ears don't sweat during, or ache afterwards. I often go to sleep wearing them, and after all this time, still works, looks, and feels like new, seriously. I've compared it with the more expensive Bose QuietComfort® 3 Acoustic Noise Cancelling® headphones and this is very similar in build quality.

3) Sound quality: It sound's great. Bass doesn't get mushy, and the hi frequencies are well represented without given a sheen. I've compared it with the Bose, and I think the noise cancelling is about the same, and I actually like the sonic response of this over the Bose, but that's subjective. Mind you, I usually listen to music via Yamaha HS80m Studio monitors when I'm not using the headset. Gives you an idea of what I like to hear.

Plus: This works even when the battery is flat. The ear pads themselves attenuate sound significantly too. I use rechargeable batteries (1000mAh) and a single charge can last me about 24 hours total listening time. This is a significant advantage over the afore-mentioned Bose, which although a great product, needs the charged battery to work at all.

Cons: Short cable, but you can get a replacement quite cheaply and easily, since its separate from the headset.

All in all, great product, I'd buy again.

4.0 out of 5 stars What you could expect, 12 Jan. 2011
David (Madrid, Spain) - See all my reviews
I spent some days comparing different noise cancelling headphones. I probably ended up comparing the same ones as you :) After days of indecission, I ordered these ones, the JVCs. The price was more than fair and, after all, these were my first NC headphones, so they looked good for my "experiment" and, if I liked them, I could always buy a better pair next time.

I was not dissapointed. These headphones do exactly what I thought they'd do. They're comfortable, light, sound quality is very good and noise cancelling is... well, tricky :) You must bear one thing in mind not to be dissapointed when you use them. Let me explain: I first thought NC techcnology was removing all the background noise, but the technology only works with low frequencies. This doesn't only happen with the JVCs, but with every noise cancelling headphones. High frequencies can't be removed, I don't understand why, I guess it's because of some constraint around the technology or the wave physics itself. Anyway, the JVCs remove a lot of noise, you notice that even in quiet environments. I use them at the office, during flights and in trains, and I'm more than happy with my purchase. Recommended. Thanks for reading :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great build quality, 14 Aug. 2009
These are my first noise cancelling headphones, so I have nothing to compare it with.

I bought them to use it on the train and London tube, and they do exactly what I wanted. They block most of the lower frecuencies noise. It's amazing when you switch it on and the noise just dissapears. They work even better when you are listening to music.

As an example, I listen to some podcasts that unfortunately the volume is low, so when travelling I had to have the volume to 100% to be able to hear them properly, now I can hear them very well at 50% of the volume.

The build quality is really good, with leather, and a handy hard case to protect them when not in use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for the plane, 20 Dec. 2011
Jo Bunker (London, England) - See all my reviews
Just used these for the first time on a long haul from London to the USA. Decided last time I flew that I would not do another flight until I could get rid of the sound of the engines! As we were seated over the engine thought it would be a good test of the noise cancelling. I've never had a pair of noise cancelling headphones, but can only say that as soon as I slid the switch in the earpiece, the plane noise disappeared into a very tiny little hum, almost disappearing completely. I found the padding on top really useful, as it stopped them digging into my head. They did get a bit heavy on my ears by about the 11th hour of solid wear (and I slept with them on!). But I think any headphones would give you fatigue by that point. The case is very impressive, lightweight yet sturdy and protective, with a quality zip and an inside zip pocket roomy enough for the lead, spare battery and stereo plug. I've since used it at the gym and it cancels out the loud club music too. Watched the football on the gym bike way longer than I should have, it was so good at cancelling everything around me! I do really think for the money these headphones seem a good choice, and can highly recommend them.