4.0 out of 5 stars not perfect; better than poaching pans
I've had one of these for about a year now. I got fed up with digging poached eggs out of various types of poaching pans, scraping 'non-stick' surfaces clean-- and sometimes clean off!-- thereby increasing the risk of getting Teflon (polytetrafluoroethylene) into our food. It's also nice having something much smaller to fit into my crowded cupboard!

The first...
Published on 23 Jan 2010 by winterkori

2.0 out of 5 stars It sticks
The non stick claim is not true for me. I must have gotten one where the quality assurance team failed to assure. The egg stains are never easy to wash, even after soaking it for a day.
Published on 28 Jan 2009 by S. Goh

4.0 out of 5 stars not perfect; better than poaching pans, 23 Jan 2010
This review is from: Eddingtons Double Egg Poacher (Kitchen & Home)

The first few times I used this, I submerged it in the water and the eggs did, indeed, flow over the top to make bizarre free-form shapes. Now I keep the water level just below the rim of the poaching cups and they're fine. I also use a lid, which keeps the heat in so the top of the eggs are nicely cooked.

I find that the butter stays put a little better if I add a fleck to each cup just before the water boils. I drop the raw eggs in gently and just scoop them out with a spoon when done. If you want something that doesn't leave a trace of egg in the cup, maybe silicon is better, but I don't know because I tend to avoid anything plastic-like when it comes to cooking. All I know is that the eggs come out whole and in lovely oval shapes that fit well side-by-side on toast!

I've actually come back to buy another of these double-egg poachers (though since they're so simple a device I didn't expect them to cost more than a few quid!) so that I can do more than 2 eggs at a time. It's not an especially beautiful implement but the eggs come out well. I use a vegetable brush to quickly unclog the holes after poaching, then pop it in the dishwasher. No pieces to reassemble or try to keep together in cupboard-- another plus.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good poacher, 30 April 2011
Mr. D. West "Brixlad" (Devon) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Eddingtons Double Egg Poacher (Kitchen & Home)
I have used the poacher 4 times now and found it to work well. I use a sunflower oil spray to coat, cook the eggs fully submerge in gentle simmering water with a splash of vinegar for 4 minutes for large eggs which is cooked just right for me. The eggs come out perfectly formed and slide out without problems. I have tried various poachers and methods in the past and this one really is the best.
I think the users from Somerset and Devon are having a bit of a joke and winding us up. Ok it won't hook over lots of pans but as it says on this site it can stand in the bottom of a pan.
As with all eggs for poaching they must be very very fresh and at room temperature for best results.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use and clean., 28 Aug 2011
This review is from: Eddingtons Double Egg Poacher (Kitchen & Home)
I have the single version of this and have used it for a few months. It's much less hassle than a poaching pan as it's compact and easy to clean. I've tried poaching eggs the traditional way by just droppping them in water, but unless they're really fresh they break up. Using this poacher it doesn't matter if the eggs are a bit older. To use it, I hang it on the side of the saucepan to crack the egg into it, and then just immerse completely under the surface of the water as a poached egg should be, so the poacher sits on the base of the pan. I've had to slightly bend the arm of it to fit my pan, but the fact that you can bend it makes it easier to tailor to your pans. A little of the white can float out, but not very much. I'm now going to buy the double version as well!

4.0 out of 5 stars you can,,, 28 July 2010
This review is from: Eddingtons Double Egg Poacher (Kitchen & Home)
I thought I can use it with my saucepans but it was longer than the pan depth.'
Ended up using it without hanging, I have placed it in the pan with some water and it worked
':)'

2.0 out of 5 stars It sticks, 28 Jan 2009
S. Goh (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews

2.0 out of 5 stars I don`t get it, 11 Jan 2010
A. And S. Bovey "Shelley Bovey" (Somerset, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Eddingtons Double Egg Poacher (Kitchen & Home)
Well, I don`t know if I`m missing something but how does this work? Is the poacher supposed to be in the water or above it, like the old fashioned egg poachers? I have tried using it in the water hooked over the side of the saucepan (it doesn`t hook very well) but some of the white dripped through the holes and the eggs didn`t cook properly. A dead loss, I`m afraid. And the non-stick finish was rubbish - the egg white clung to it.

1.0 out of 5 stars double egg poacher, 7 Jun 2014
This review is from: Eddingtons Double Egg Poacher (Kitchen & Home)
THIS ITEM IS DEFINITELY NOT NON-STICK. WOULD NOT RECOMMEND TO ANY OF MY FRIENDS. WOULD HAVE RETURNED BUT COULD NOT BE BOTHERED. WHAT MORE CAN I SAY.

4.0 out of 5 stars This is the best of this type of thing I have tried., 21 April 2014
P. F. Meyrick (U. K.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Eddingtons Double Egg Poacher (Kitchen & Home)
Yep, it works well. If you don't have really fresh eggs, which you can crack straight into your simmering pan, this will do the job of preventing the white from breaking up.

3.0 out of 5 stars Egg poacher, 22 Feb 2014
Rick (Derbyshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Eddingtons Double Egg Poacher (Kitchen & Home)
Neatly and strongly made; a useful device to poach anything. However, unless oiled, egg white can stick leaving residue difficult to clean off. Also, drain holes block instantly with egg white so does not drain when lifted from pan.

5.0 out of 5 stars Only thing I have bought that actually works, 9 Jan 2014
This review is from: Eddingtons Double Egg Poacher (Kitchen & Home)
Excellent and the best thing for poached eggs you can buy that's all I can say so buy it yes

Eddingtons Double Egg Poacher