5.0 out of 5 stars An essential read for fence-sitters!
Published on 5 Mar. 2007 by R. Boyer-Willisson

2.0 out of 5 stars Desperately Seeking Soya...
Published on 11 May 2010 by Almost Vegan

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars An essential read for fence-sitters!, 5 Mar. 2007
Straight-forward, plain talking, with plenty of practical advice, this book is a must-read for anyone thinking of going vegan, or newly vegan. It really helped me clarify my own thinking, and gave me useful strategies to deal with the daily practicalities of being vegan in a largely carnivorous world. Although many of the specific products mentioned are for the American market,the advice is invaluable, and the extensive referencing gives plenty of scope for further, more detailed personal research.

As a new vegan, I would have been lost without this book, but it has consolidated my resolve, and my belief that my choice has been the right one for me. I would also recommend this book if someone you know has just gone vegan, and you want to understand why.

Tofu power!

5.0 out of 5 stars Non-preaching, eye opening and encouraging., 23 Sept. 2008
J. Staniforth (Europe surprisingly.) - See all my reviews
Have to be honest, it's rare I'll even bother to write a book review but feel compelled to here. After being a veggie for 20 years, I'm toying with the idea of becoming a vegan. I'm not one for being preached at and most 'activists' irritate me beyond description. Also, I'm not one for overblown American in your face type writing, so I was a little apprehensive about buying this. I needn't have been. It's superb. Honest, humorous, non preachy and debunks many myths including several perpetuated by vegans themselves. The authors include links for further info and resources which adds to the value too. If you're considering becoming a vegan or even just flirting with the idea, buy this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good opener, 8 May 2007
A. Morrell "medtheveg" (york, uk) - See all my reviews
I've been a vegetarian for about 20 years and i have been rethinking the reasons why i became a vegy. As time has gone by i have realised that i am not the 17 year old angry activist willing to burn down the nearest slaughter house anymore. This book has re opened my eyes and re fueled the fire within, i am now going through the 21 days without animal products, and i am finding it suprisingly easy (even with no cheese). The book has an obvious american slant but don't let that put you off. If you are toying with the idea of becoming a vegan or just want to discover how or why, then you could do a lot worse than buying this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars easily the best introduction to veganism/vegetarianism, 26 Sept. 2006
H. Smith (UK) - See all my reviews
This book is easily the best, although shortest, book I have read on vegetarianism (and I'd like to think I've read a lot!!). I was quite unsure about buying it, but I read lots of good reviews and as it turned out I couldn't put it down! On many many occasions I was caught laughing out loud, even to the extent of crying!! These authors are so funny :) . They put into words everything that I have felt, and experienced as a vegetarian and then vegan. It's definately the best way to sum up why anyone would be vegan, and how best to go about it too, I'm currently passing my copy around my friends! There are also loads of websites and recommended reading if you're interested further! A must-have if you're a veggie, vegan or know anyone who is!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, informative and fun., 5 Nov. 2007
Toni (Leeds, UK) - See all my reviews
This book is a wonderful guide for new Vegans, or soon to be Vegans, but I also think it would be great for long time Vegans.

It's well written and informative.......although not a book for people wanting information on the actual diet, this deals more with how to BE Vegan.

I loved this book it was great to read and fun. I also now listen to the authors Podcast. There's a link on their website.

Thanks Bob and Jenna for this wonderful book.

2.0 out of 5 stars Desperately Seeking Soya..., 11 May 2010
As a newcomer to the vegan world I was looking for practical advice and information about making the transition to veganism. I selected this book because it had mostly good reviews and from the blurb looked as if it would meet my requirements. While there is some interesting information in this book, and while the authors do, in places, give some good advice, I can't help but feel that they need to practice what they preach when it come to being a quietly ethical vegan (rather than ranting at meat and cheese-eaters of the world). We are told a number of times that shouting at people about the terrors of the meat farming industry will likely not have the desired effect, yet the authors do this consistently throughout the book. I couldn't help but feel that they missed the point a little... If you're reading this book, you probably already have one foot on the road to veganism (at least) and so don't need convincing over and over and over again about the evils of consuming meat, fish and dairy.

I also found the book highly repetitive and can't help thinking that if they had made each of their points once, in a clear and concise way then the book would probably have been only about 70 pages long. There are big sections that are duplicated and this made for frustrating reading - and the thought that maybe the authors didn't have all that much to say about veganism after all. I was left a little cold and unenthusiastic about veganism by the end of it, and I don't think the Torres' really do much for the argument that you don't have to be a food nazi to eschew meat, fish and dairy.

I also agree with J. Hobartson - the book is littered with typos and errors and so a thorough proof-reading would not have gone amiss.

There are, however, pockets of sound advice and interesting information in this book, and some good recommendations on where to get further information but overall I was unimpressed.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not what I was looking for., 6 April 2011
Having been vegetarian since being 18 I have slowly been moving towards veganism.I bought this book hoping it would help me with the difficulties I was having with vegan stereotypes, problems with eating out & travelling etc.
I was really looking forward to getting it but I didn't find it helped me with any of the problems I was having. In fact it made me feel guilty, inadequate & still confused. It was ranty & used swearing far too often.
I have found a better book to support a vegan transition is
Becoming Vegan: The Complete Guide to Adopting a Healthy Plant-based Diet
Also any of Isa Chandra Moskowitz cookbooks which have, not only fantastically wonderful recipes that enable you to eat veganised versions of your favourite foods, but also a great, non aggressive style of promoting veganism in a positive way.
These are the books that I think can help people become healthy & happy vegans rather than Vegan Freak.

2.0 out of 5 stars Vegan Freak, 21 April 2010
M. Brett "MaryBrett" (Manchester, England) - See all my reviews
This book is very American culture focused, which there's nothing wrong with at all, but for someone in the UK like myself, I don't think it's really helpful as our culture is too different. As one small example, we are told in it to check that soya milk cheeses don't contain dairy, as many do, when this isn't the case in the UK. Most of the book is in this vein, and I didn't get most of the cultural references. I can imagine this would be a great guide if you lived in the States though.

5.0 out of 5 stars The book that made me vegan, 12 Mar. 2013
L. Evans (UK) - See all my reviews
I love this book; it provided me with everything I needed to know when I was curious about veganism. Easy to understand and fairly quick to read through, this book is perfect for people who want to know more about going vegan.

5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST READ, 2 July 2013
For all the vegans in the world, and there are many more of us than you may think, you must read this book. It will make you feel less alone and happy to be freakishly compassionate, healthy and wise. To all the vegetarians, you should read this, too. No judgement - we've all been there along the journey - but it's worth picking up this book to gain some great insight into the next, and all-important, step.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›