5.0 out of 5 stars A Classic Restored -- but why not out in the USA?
Published on 5 Jan 2012 by Bruce Eder

1.0 out of 5 stars Sorry guys didn't like this one bit
Sorry guys didn't like this one bit, in fact turned it off after half an hour, couldn't watch it any longer. Nothing wrong with the dvd or the quality of the picture...........but there's so much missing from the book.

So anyone thinking of buying this.........get the book first and it's free on Kindle.
Published 3 months ago by Bill H

5.0 out of 5 stars A Classic Restored -- but why not out in the USA?, 5 Jan 2012
Bruce Eder "recording maven" (New York, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Adventures Of Tom Sawyer [DVD] [1938] (DVD)
David O. Selznick's THE ADVENTURES OF TOM SAWYER was always a holiday favorite in New York -- one local station used to air it every Thanksgiving and Christmas (obviously two holidays where lots of kids are home . . . ), and so you sort of grew up with it in New York City; and later, one national syndicator did the same thing. But on video it's never had much of an existence -- there was a dark, faded edition on VHS tape from CBS/Fox, and later a laserdisc that was no better; and even when the Selznick library started showing up on DVD, this was one title that never got issued in America. I was delighted to see that it was out as a Region 2 disc (I have an all-region player), and was equally happy with the way said disc looked -- oh, if someone were to commit the kind of resources to restoration that had been devoted to Selznick's GONE WITH THE WIND (for which this movie was sort of a run-up, in terms of preparation) it could look and sound better; but that's not going to happen, and in the meantime this edition stands head and shoulders above the CBS/Fox laserdisc or its VHS predecessor. There aren't any extras, but none are really needed -- this is just a fun, handsome movie, without being over-cute as subsequent renditions of the story tended to be, and with none of the creakiness of the earlier Jackie Coogan version (done early in the sound era). It ought to be available on this side of the Atlantic, but I'm glad it's available at all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tom sawyer wonderful family movie, 2 Jan 2010
N. L. King (Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Adventures Of Tom Sawyer [DVD] [1938] (DVD)
To whomever might consider buying this movie. We first saw this movie five years ago and have waited for it to be introduced onto dvd in Australia AS HAS OCCURRED MANY times after we have bought a movie from Amazon. we could not wait any longer and decided to buy it for Christmas. We have no regrets even if it appears here next week. The movie is fabul;ous: the best version of Tom Sawyer we have ever seen. I see myself in Aunt Polly ; too quick to smack and too slow to apologise. It helped me to form my New year's Resolutions. Time can be a best friend. Act in haste and repent at leisure. As a mother of many boys, I can't recommend this movie highly enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars The BEST Version of the BEST Version, 30 Sep 2014
J. Lane (Sacramento, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I second the review by noted cinema authority Bruce Eder below. This is probably the best movie ever made from a Mark Twain story -- it's certainly head and shoulders above any other version of this particular story. The cast is wonderful, right down the line; Tommy Kelly, who plays Tom, had never been in a movie before, and he simply IS Tom Sawyer. Period.

This DVD transfer from Fremantle Media could hardly be improved upon. It was clearly taken from a genuine Technicolor print, and heaven only knows where they found it -- true Technicolor prints of Selznick pictures (other than GONE WITH THE WIND) are mighty hard to come by. This adaptation of THE ADVENTURES OF TOM SAWYER, and THIS video transfer of it -- in both cases, accept no substitutes.

I only wish it were available here in the States (Region 1) as well. (How about it, Fremantle?)

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than I thought., 2 Jan 2012
Cymro (North Wales) - See all my reviews
Hi
Bought this for use with my students who have learning difficulties. They were interested in the Mark Twain reference when it came up on Google recently. I could not find anything other than this rather old film that looked like it would have any authenticity. My main worry was the language which I thought would be somewhat stilted for modern students.
I was surprised at how little this bothered them. In fact, I think it opened up a whole new window. For its age it is produced in a surprisingly good colour format (there may be a more technical way of putting that, I'm sure). The stories resonate with any group of youngsters and maybe this is what held their attention.
As a DVD for general viewing I suppose it's age is against it unless films from that era are your interest. I would be unsure of its value for less compliant students than ours but I enjoyed it !

5.0 out of 5 stars Tom Sawyer, 29 Jan 2012
This review is from: The Adventures Of Tom Sawyer [DVD] [1938] (DVD)
This is a classic film made in the thirties made for adults and children a must see. They don`t make them like this anymore.

5.0 out of 5 stars For The Adventurous Child In All Of Us., 29 Jan 2008
Michael O. Larsen (Eugene, Oregon USA) - See all my reviews
"The Adventures of Tom Sawyer," with Tommy Kelly as the lead, has to our family, been a wonderful source of enjoyment from the period in which Mark Twain lived his life. One can label it as funny, cute, dramatic, suspenseful; especially in the courtroom, and the fight in the cave. It brings happy emotions and sad emotions to the surface. He is mischievous: always picking on his brother Sid, "in your face" if you like. He gets in trouble for things he didn't do, just as any living child would.
He lives with his Aunt Polly, a sister, and a brother. They have a young servant, Jim, who helps out.
This takes place at a time when slavery was still in use in the "south" of the United States. However, it does not treat it as an issue.

I whole-heartedly recommend it to all who would like "Truly Clean, Wholesome Family Entertainment." Absolutely a 5-star film!

1.0 out of 5 stars Sorry guys didn't like this one bit, 6 Aug 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Brill, 3 Feb 2014
This review is from: The Adventures Of Tom Sawyer [DVD] [1938] (DVD)
This DVD reminds me of my father and I bought my son & nephews one each for Christimas as my father use to let them watch it - they couldn't believe that I find it for them

5.0 out of 5 stars great memories, 22 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Adventures Of Tom Sawyer [DVD] [1938] (DVD)
brought this dvd as I watched this as a kid and it brought back so many good memories.the quality is good and it was delivered fast as well

5.0 out of 5 stars Havent seen this, 27 Aug 2013
This review is from: The Adventures Of Tom Sawyer [DVD] [1938] (DVD)
As I bought it for my grand children I read thebook in school so thought they would enjoy the film

The Adventures Of Tom Sawyer [DVD] [1938]
The Adventures Of Tom Sawyer [DVD] [1938] by Norman Taurog (DVD - 2008)