5.0 out of 5 stars beautiful... spellbinding
I first watched this film when I was 5 years old and now (28 years on) as a mother to a 4 year old I can still see the beauty in it. The music, the actors, the way it is shot - they combine to make a wonderful story come to life in the most spellbinding way. To hear David Jason give life to a range of characters is a joy.

The pace is so different to cartoons -...
Published on 19 Oct 2011 by KLM

3.0 out of 5 stars Wallow in the Willows.
Childhood revisited. Great for me the rest of the family wre not amused again. But this was for me not them.
Published 6 months ago by Mr. T. W. Mccartney

5.0 out of 5 stars beautiful... spellbinding, 19 Oct 2011
KLM (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Wind in the Willows - The Original Movie[DVD] [1983] (DVD)

The pace is so different to cartoons - but makes it all the better for that. My son loves Mickey Mouse but watched The Wind in the Willows one grim afternoon openmouthed, waiting for the next bit of the story. It's totally captured his imagination and he keeps asking about Mr Mole, Mr Toad and if we can go to the Wild Wood someday.

I'm not one for gushing, but I love this film.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you liked the book, you'll love this., 3 April 2001
Wind in the Willows is one of the most enchanting childrens books ever written, and though it has been around for years now, it has lost none of its original charm and appeal. This film version is indeed the book come to life, with captivating animation that children and adults alike will appreciate and love. The character's personalities will make you believe they are real, and transport you to a land of make believe, so you can escape along with your children to this magical place of talking toads who ride around in automobiles... A must for every child's collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best of the Best, 15 Feb 2003
Stop motion animation doesn't get better than this exquisitely rendered Edwardian-era jewel. Flawlessly acted by a wonderful cast, this is the definitive Rat, Mole, Badger and, of course, the irrepressible Toad. Wind in the Willows is one of the cosiest and most comforting books ever written, and this version is wonderfully true to the original. It has enchanted every child in my family and delighted the adults as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars animation artwork with a heart of gold, 26 Mar 2007
G. Robinson "Rudy" (Western Australia) - See all my reviews
This is the most exquisite animated film I've ever seen. The story is full of eccentricity and tolerance, the animations true to the illustrated book, and the background scenery is beautifully designed. It is full of humour and wit, and leaves you with a smile on your face. It is great for kids, but adults will see their friends and relatives portrayed in caricature and enjoy it just as much on a different level.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wind in the Willows, 6 Aug 2010
Mrs. Rp Meinke "Rachel" (Guernsey, Channel Islands) - See all my reviews
DVD Wind in the Willows

I had this on videotape when my children were small, and it entertained for hours.
I read it as a solitary child, - over and over again, and I found this version with David Jason & co did the stories justice like no other form.
I love it still, and will have it ready for when my children's children are ready.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliantly Entertaining, 8 Aug 2003
I loved it as a child, and it hadn't aged when I bought it on DVD as a adult. The picture quality is pretty good and some effort appears to have gone into the additional features on the disk, which is unusual for DVD's so early on the life of the format. As for the feature itself, the humour is very very good, the narrative so well written, a wonderful collection of characters, and excellent animation. What more could we ask for? True all round entertainment that everyone should be given the chance to see at least once.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wind in the willows, 28 May 2010
Susan Terry (Somerset, England) - See all my reviews
Simply the most perfect and accurate film of a charming book. A total joy that has not dated.

4.0 out of 5 stars A jewel in the crown of stop-motion animation, 19 Oct 2006
When I first saw this on television many, many years ago, the impact was immediate and long lasting! I will focus only on the variety of feelings and emotions that this film sparked in my mind. All the beauty of the intrincate animation, the extraordinarily well designed puppet characters and settings - including props -, and the vocal performances given to Ratty, Mole, Badger and the sublime Toad, and indeed of all of the supporting characters make the whole burst with charm and delight.
Ever since having first seen "The Wind in the Willows", and whenever I watch this DVD, renewed feelings of warmth, happiness, good will for the characters and amazement, and in fact longing to be in that fantasy universe of the single most idyllic depiction (in my estimation) of the simple pleasures of life in the British countryside, start to emerge. I hadn't realised it the first time, but on subsequent viewings it was apparent to me that another element that was prevalent amongst all the wonderful aspects of this Cosgrove-Hall adaptation of Grahame's immortal classic was its prevailing atmosphere - another reviewer rightfully mentioned the word 'heart' -, recreated with such care and love that, again, it does make me want to join those characters in their world, even if it's just during my flights of fancy.
This is not just directed primarily to children, but to all those that, like myself, remain young at heart and spirit. I've given this edition 'only' four stars because I think it could benefit from a new restored version, as this comes from an average quality print of the film. Otherwise it deserves 10 stars!

5.0 out of 5 stars follow my voice wherever it leads..., 30 Jan 2010
gille liath (US of K) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Before it became a Wallace-and-Gromit ghetto, model animation was pioneered by Cosgrove Hall - and this is arguably their magnum opus. Beautifully produced, lovingly detailed, with a great vocal cast and classy score, it has the nerve to stick closely to the book. As a result it is the best screen version by miles and, in my opinion, likely to remain so.

Some kids may find it a bit slow by today's standards; but if they stick with it, they may just discover that not everything has to be frenetic to be enjoyable. If not, what the heck - like the book, it's probably as good (if not better) for grown-ups.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good old Ratty & Mole!, 3 Jan 2013
Grandchildren, chilly day, hot chocolate, loads of cushions, Christmas lights, sweets, iced cakes & an old fashioned tale - with none of the 21st century film violence & bad language! A wonderful adventurous story that everyone can enjoy.

The Wind in the Willows - The Original Movie[DVD] [1983]