5.0 out of 5 stars Return to prominance!
Published on 18 Feb 2008 by Personalised Signs

3.0 out of 5 stars Protest and survive
Unlike some I felt that Wildflower, her previous album, was one of her best. This new album is the sound of a mature artist saying what she wants, with few holds barred. It's not full of radio hits, I guess she doesn't need those much these days. No, this is an album of protest, comment on our world today, self survival and of love, both lost and found.
Sheryl Crow...
Published on 22 Feb 2008 by S. Fenton

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Return to prominance!, 18 Feb 2008
This review is from: Detours (Audio CD)
Album was released today and as soon as i got up i went straight out to buy it, and boy am i glad i got up to do so! What a fantastic album. I have to admit although Sheryl is my favorite artist of all time i was quite disappointed with her last offering 'wildflower'. However it seems as though this album goes back to her original rock roots as seen on 'The Globe Sessions'
My favorite tracks have to be 'Peace Be Upon Us' and 'Diamond Road'
there have been comments made about it all being political. Yes many songs are but what I love is that it comes from the heart, at least she has the guts to express her point of view and what way to do it, in such beautiful songs. She also talks about her battle with cancer and her split from Lance Armstrong!

Whilst this review is probably no help to those deciding whether or not to buy this album all i advise is that if you enjoyed 'tuesday night music club', 'sheryl crow' and 'the globe sessions' then you will not be disappointed.

I highly reccommend this album!

5.0 out of 5 stars Back to her best!, 8 Mar 2008
P. McDermott (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Detours (Audio CD)
I am a long time Crow fan and have been looking forward to her follow up to Wildflower for a while now. Wildflower was a very different style of music to what we're used to hearing sprouting out of Sheryl's mouth. it wasn't to everyone's taste and I can understand the somewhat lacklustre reviews. Personally I liked it. In Detours, Sheryl has gone back to her roots and it's fantastic. Personal experiences and opinions are written into her lyrics and she sings them with confidence. On my first listen to the CD I was happy to check tracks 1 and 2 with a big tick. Thereafter, I wasn't so sure about some of the other tracks. I thought it sounded like Sheryl was straining her voice sometimes. However I listened again, and the songs rapidly grew on me. I thought 'Out Of Our Heads' was the weakest track and it is now one of my favourites. I can only put my hesitance down to Sheryl going back to her best. The style is reminiscent of Tuesday Night Music Club all the way back in 1993, and it's been so long since I've heard it, but then I remembered that's the music I loved her for.
This is classic Crow and is a must for anyone with ears!

4.0 out of 5 stars New Found Inspiration, 16 Feb 2008
This review is from: Detours (Audio CD)
Have you ever wondered where Amy McDonald or KT Tunstall got their inspiration from? Well without any doubt Sheryl Crow has had a major influence on strong guitar and lyric driven music.
'Detours' is a high energy, big message return for Sheryl Crow, who's last effort Wildflower was too laden with strings and slow songs to create a big impact.
If you liked The Globe Sessions and Sheryl's second Self Titled albums then Detours is a quirky, intensely catchy combination of the two.
The album opens with God Bless This Mess, an acoustic roots based song about war and the invasion of Iraq, and whatever your view there are few female artists who would have the balls to sing so directly without huge musical backup.
The album progresses with smart beats, drum loops and fantastic lyrics 'Everybodies makin love, cause love is free', sure to be stuck in your head for the rest of the day. Some of these songs are modern updated versions of Everyday is a Winding Road and All I Wanna Do (from Tuesday Night Music Club)and sounds fresh and to the point.
A lot has happened to Sheryl Crow in the last 2 years, a broken engagement, a battle with breast cancer and adapting a baby boy. These changes are all played out on 15 wonderfully inspiring songs. Anyone suffering from cancer will relate to 'Make it Go Away (radiation song)' and take comfort from it.... 'I was a good girl, I cant understand how to make it go away'. Simple and heartbreaking.
This album has been described as 'a future classic' by american music magazines, and you can see why, its understated like a Neil Young record, has fantastic guitar loops that could easily fit on a Rolling Stones album from the 70's and has an emotional depth that Joni Mitchell would be proud off. Its a definite purchase for anyone with good taste in music!

Highlights :- Love is Free, Gasoline, Out of Our Heads, Diamond Ring, Make It Go Away, Shine over Babylon, Lullaby

It loses a star because it is too short! Keep an eye on this album, its sure to be a Grammy Winner in 2009!

4.0 out of 5 stars it grows on you..., 17 Feb 2008
Alex (The Hague, Holland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Detours (Audio CD)
In Holland the Cd was available for a while now so I played it a lot last week.
bad thing is that the European version has 14 instead of 15 tracks(misses" rice up").
The start is great; an acoustic beauty about a family messed up cause of war, and it sounds like it comes from an old stereo or something.
Than I had the volume too high cause song 2. came blasting(kinda) , and those songs need to grow on you( well at least on me).
Drum programming and that kinda thing, and thats (for me) basically
the album, : great acoustic-based songs, : "god bless this mess", "detours", "drunk with the thougth of you","make it go away".
mixed with a little more "different"songs , like , "motivation","out of our heads" that made me think of ...Bette Midler. "peace be upon us "with arabic lyrics mixed in( peace-war issue), Gasoline( environmental issue).
So also the big topics are there.
The CD , well mine at least :( ends with a moving lullaby for her son Wyatt.
An acoustic song, and they are all great, and for me worth the buy.
The other ones I mentioned, had to grow on me, and , after a week playing it, they have, although I still do not like the drum programming on em.
But Sheryl Crow (to me)is a too good songwriter to ignore them just for that.

3.0 out of 5 stars Protest and survive, 22 Feb 2008
S. Fenton (Hassocks, W Sussex, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Detours (Audio CD)
Sheryl Crow is back with collaborators of old and it does show in the style of this record. Personally I prefer her records she's made on her own.
'Love is Free' is the weakest track I feel, too close to lighter moments on 'Tuesday Night Music Club' while 'Shine Over Babylon' is the swaggering, protesting first single and stand-out track after a few listens. The record improves with listens, and is lyrically good. On 'Diamond Ring' she says that "Diamonds may be oh so sweet, but to me they just bring on cold feet!'. Ouch. That's personal.
I enjoy this record and recommend it, especially to fans of Sheryl Crow, but don't expect hits and instant gratification.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pass It On..., 2 Mar 2008
Fantasy Lore - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Detours (Audio CD)
Is this Sheryl's most topical album yet? I think it's gotta be. Some might say political, but I don't think she takes it that far, at least not to the point of forcing her viewpoint on her listeners. Rather I think `Detours' is one songstress's suggestion on where we might all go from here after the mess we've lately made of our cosy, conflicted corner of the universe. It begins with a very thinly veiled lament on 9/11- in the grainy, stripped-bare and yet oddly moving `God Bless This Mess' (9/10) - and from then on the album is one big promotion of free will, love, peace and the general need for us all to be active in making that happen, rather than vainly wishing & hoping.

Track 2- `Shine Over Babylon' (7/10) is the first rich-sounding, obvious single release with a glorifying, uplifting chorus, but lyrically it's not as effective as the opening track. Track 3- `Love Is Free' (7/10) introduces the country with familiar percussion & throw-away lyrics. Then comes perhaps my favourite track on the album, Track 4- `Peace Be Upon Us' (10/10) with middle-eastern-inspired instrumentation, plus Arabian vocals by not only guest performer Ahmed Al Hirmi, but also Sheryl herself- on a song that includes the telling phrase "the meek shall inherit the Earth", which is indicative of `Detours' as a whole.

My other personal stand-out tracks are `Out of Our Heads' (8/10) - great lyrics & cool production are let down by a bland, uninspired and slightly too preachy chorus. `Make It Go Away (Radiation Song)' (9/10) is a melancholy, but determined mantra that balances the lighter tunes with something that has raw emotional content. And for those of you who get the bonus tracks on your record (UK album version)- `Here Comes the Sun' (6/10) is a painfully predictable cover that sounds like an S Club Juniors reunion concert at a helium plant and isn't a patch on Nina Simone's version (what were you thinking Sheryl? You're better than this!). `Rise Up' (7/10) is solid, but not particularly catchy.

I think it would be fair to say that `Wildflower' was a departure for Sheryl Crow, at least it was for me as a fan- it's taken me almost until now (a couple of years after it's release) to derive as much pleasure from it, as I did her previous albums almost from the out-set. But like ivy- it's gradually grown on me and I find myself now enjoying the songs on that album almost as much as her previous efforts, just in a different, slightly more thoughtful way. `Detours' isn't as strong lyrically, but even on her less-than-stellar days Sheryl is still a few dozen steps above the rest in terms of touching and skillful phrasing, so there's lots to enjoy here. But with more up-beat tunes and a lighter tone, this is likely to be the more popular album of the two and one that I predict will only grow on us all the more we take the time to listen...

4.0 out of 5 stars Write her off at your peril !, 29 Feb 2008
This review is from: Detours (Audio CD)
I'm partisan - have been a fan of Sheryl Crow's for a long time. She's quite a rare bird, being a 'proper' female singer songwriter musician - the only person currently coming close, and equally as good in my opinion, is KT Tunstall.

Sheryl evidently lost a lot of rock fans with her last album Wildflower, which was considered a bit soft and dreary. I loved it, and thought it had some exquisite playing, singing and melodies on it. But what about Detours? There's something for everyone on this new album.

Those who love the Stones rock vibe that Sheryl became known and loved for will be glad to hear that it is back with this album - Gasoline is maybe the standout track for me. Check out the live version on Youtube! Shine Over Babylon, Diamond Ring and Make It Go Away are all heavier in feel, with really strong vocal deliveries. Detours, Love Is All There Is, Drunk with the Thought of You and the gorgeous Lullaby for Wyatt are all textured, acoustic, country-tinged songs that get in your head, the personal lyrics charting Sheryl's recent personal life.

But maybe the most interesting new songs here are the ones worked up with Bill Botterill, who last worked with Sheryl on her big selling debut album, Tuesday Night Music Club. Peace Be Upon Us is an Arabic sounding song, that is nothing like anything Sheryl has done before - love it. And Out of Our Heads has an insanely catchy nursery rhyme type chorus that John Lennon would have been proud of. Yes, these are political / environmental cause songs, but that doesn't get in the way of them being great songs. They could both be singles.

A strong wind snuffs some candles out and makes others burn brighter, someone said somewhere. I'd go as far as to say that Sheryl Crow is on fire at this point in her career.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bill Bottrell, you made my day, 10 Mar 2008
David Midgley "Jekteir" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Detours (Audio CD)
It can't be a coincidence that Bill Bottrell produced Sheryl Crow's first two albums ('Tuesday Night Music Club' and 'Sheryl Crow'), and he also produced these most recent 'Detours'.

The reason I say it's not coincidental is that these three albums are stand-out bests of her work, with 'The Globe Sessions' following a close second, but with 'C'mon C'mon' and 'Wildflower' trailing distantly behind, lagging in the land of overarrangement and self-indulgence.

'Detours' is fresh, with exciting sounds, bold choices (see: first track), and lyrics which, for a change, work a lot better to music than when you see them on the page. When I first scanned Crow's lyrics (before listening) I was moderately worried about the album, but it makes a refreshing change for the music and production to make the lyrics both make sense and not come across as either a) over-sentimental, b) self-indulgent, or c) overly 'message'-y. Too much 'message' was certainly a risk with this fairly political album, but like all good gospel and soul music (not that that's the genre of this album -- I'm drawing a parallel here), sometimes the sugar makes the medicine go down.

Who knows? -- Maybe by actually producing an album whose _sounds_ people will listen to in wonderment, Crow and Bottrell will, in the background (where it belongs) enable some political impact by happy collision.

4.0 out of 5 stars Much Better, 16 Mar 2008
This review is from: Detours (Audio CD)
This album signals a return to form for Sheryl Crow after her disappointing 'Wildflower' album. It is largely reminiscent of the hippy style of her first two albums, but musical times have moved on since then and so I doubt it will be as successful.

It does suffer from a number of flaws - sometimes a bit over political, sometimes a bit over personal - she gets away with it unless the music isn't up to scratch. This is the case with the lo-fi and thankfully short opener 'God Bless This Mess', the simply grating 'Diamond Ring', the slightly average 'Drunk With The Thought of You' and the sickly pointless (to me) 'Lullaby To Wyatt'.

The remaining 10 tracks however are very good. The 5 star moments for me are the more commercial ones such as 'Out of Our Heads' (surely this should have been the first single), 'Now That You're Gone' (there is a bit of ELO in here) and 'Motivation'. And surprisingly 'Make It Go Away', related to her own cancer battle, works really well and is a powerful piece which I guess many people will be able to relate to. Everything else gets 4 stars, despite the fact that she at times sounds like just another pop star railing against politicians about global warming, wars etc etc.

Fortunately, where the music is good, I find myself able to let the words wash over me and it becomes a highly enjoyable pop/rock/folk album.

5.0 out of 5 stars SPOT ON SHERYL, 6 Feb 2008
Mr. L. W. Dalgleish "thebellstud" (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Detours (Audio CD)
Despite the album not released until 18th Feb I have had Detours for a week (since writing this review). This album is just brilliant. Shine Over Babylon is my favourite song on the album. Listening to the album you notice it's quite politial but also sounds like the classic Sheryl material from years ago but at the same time she hasn't just stuck to the same old formula... This album surpasses her previous release (Wildflower) by miles. I am counting down the days until I buy the physical album which isn't long now. This isa must for anyone who likes even just one of her songs.. You will be hooked instantly!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Detours [Australian Import]
Detours [Australian Import] by Sheryl Crow (Audio CD - 2008)