4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome game sullied by DRM
I thought I'd take a different approach to other reviewers and actually review the game rather than the DRM. Yes, the DRM is somewhat draconian, but this level of outcry wasn't seen when Starforce was being used in games. Draconian DRM isn't new. People didn't seem to care that Armed Assault, Colin Mcrae DIRT and TOCA Race Driver 3 had a potentially more harmful DRM...
Published on 26 Oct 2008 by G. Lewis

2.0 out of 5 stars Have I missed the point?
If I have, then for God's sake please comment and let me know.

I really think that Far Cry 2 is a noble attempt at an "open world" architecture game, but I do get really frustrated at things that propose to be one thing and are not that at all.

Far Cry 2 might appear huge at first, and I suppose it is, but it's really quite empty and repetitive. The...
Published on 9 April 2009 by Axeman5000

‹ Previous | 1 2 330 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun at the beginning then trails off to utter boredom., 29 April 2009
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Far Cry 2 (PC) (Video Game)
This game starts off well with fantastic scenery and the game play appears well defined, but then suddenly, something happens, it starts to become repetitive. I was always waiting for something to happen and eventually it didn't!! I spent most of your time driving round the map looking for things to do, when I found a campaign, it was just like the last one; maybe there is something I'm missing, but I don't think so. This game is in no way engaging as Farcry or Crysis. The recent drop in price of this game reflects this problem.

1.0 out of 5 stars No fun at all., 16 Dec 2008
This review is from: Far Cry 2 (PC) (Video Game)
And that's just from playing the tutorial level.

Seems that Malaria - or rather fighting it off - is going to be a big part of this game - even before you get to the good stuff!

I couldn't even pass the tutorial mission before I died of Malaria - which you catch automatically when you start.

Well sod that! Realistic it may be - but it makes for piss-poor gameplay. Lost interest after trying about eight times. So its uninstalled and back on the shelf. And by the sounds of the other reviews, I'm not missing much anyway.

It may be a great game for some - but it just annoyed me within the first ten minutes of playing it; unintuitive and unnecessarily irritating.

4.0 out of 5 stars activation, 24 Oct 2008
Adam J. Fallon (england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Far Cry 2 (PC) (Video Game)
I have exactly the same problem, with activation. when i got the "product despatch" notification yesterday i thought "oooh, maybe itll get here on release day? how awesome of amazon!" and it did, and fair play to amazon for getting that together. as always a pleasure doing business

however, the activation is a NIGHTMARE. you get to the part where you put in the serial code and........"cannot be found on server" (activation server) further investigation reveals that the number of people with this problem is HUGE. as mr lawrence said, the problem is with ubi not placing all the serials in the server database, so when your product searches for it, it obviously wont be there.

once again its the securom curse in action again. there is no excuse and quite frankly i cant see the point of it.

i was really excited when it turned up this morning, read the manual and perused the small map while i waited for it to install. now im just plain pi**ed off with it.

as far as i could see, they are working to get these serials in, but its just something for people to be aware of.

EDIT!!!!

i got hold of a cracked exe on the net and pasted that over the existing one. THE GAME NOW WORKS!!!!! i dont see this as wrong however, as i have paid full price for a genuine game and it would not work properly the normal way and im not sure if it ever would.
id post the link but i think that would rub too many up the wrong way

ah well, im enjoying the game now, thats all that matters!!!!! see you out in africa!!!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Ubisoft decide to join EA's sinking ship., 22 Oct 2008
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Far Cry 2 (PC) (Video Game)
If your idea of computer ownership is to drive down to PC world every 5 years a buy and new computer, then never open it up then you might think Securom is not an issue for you. If you only play games for a year or so after you buy them, never return to them years later you might think Securom is not an issue for you. If you never sell your second hand games then you might think Securom is not an issue for you.

BUT.... Most gamers will upgrade their hardware one item at a time every 3/4 months, some more often. This burns an activation. Most serious computer users will reinstall their operating system every 6 months due to the registry becoming a mess over time. This burns an activation. Most gamer enjoy returning to old games years later. Some will sell their second hand games when they get bored of them.

What most gamer don't do is Pirate games (yet). But when a distributor decides they are going to treat all their PAYING customers like criminals, and sell them rentware games that will only last a user like myself less than a year at most, then their customers stop buying those games. A lot will even think if I am going to be treated like a criminal I might as well pirate it anyway. Spore is a classic example. The heaviest DRM ever became the most pirated ever.

I want to buy this game, but I won't due to DRM, I don't rent games at £25. If they want to sell me a years license at £10 I might consider it. Or if they don't want to include digital cancer on my product I'll happily pay £35 for it.

The distributors would try and tell you its about stopping pirates, RUBBISH. Securom has had no impact on piracy, in fact indirectly it has boosted it to new highs.

Securom is all about making you buy new games regularly and killing the second hand market. Its greed of the highest order. But what they are doing is not just killing the second hand market, their also killing the first hand market. Notice how every title with Securom has to go straight to discount price before even being launched, that's because customers won't stand for this treatment.

So think your unaffected? Well you can tell us all how it doesn't matter to you. And when the PC games market is dead because all the paying customers have been driven away you won't have any new titles to be ripped off by. Everyone loses with DRM, Us, you, distributors and game makers.

Take a look at Stardock, they have been successfully selling millions of copies of Sins, and they use zero DRM, it's a major selling point for them. Most Pirate sites don't even list Sins. Why would they, the original product is superior, regularly updated and customers are respected.

2.0 out of 5 stars Boring, repetative gameplay, 18 April 2009
This review is from: Far Cry 2 (PC) (Video Game)
LOL - the reviewers who have said this game is best played in chunks of an hour or so at a time are right, but what they fail to point out is that the reason for that is that if you play it flat out as you would any other action game, this one is just plain boring. Each mission is a case of drive or sail somewhere to GET the mission, then drive or sail somewhere to execute the mission, then repeat over and over and over again. That's it. There is no more. Tedious in the extreme!

1.0 out of 5 stars DRM Plight, 28 Oct 2008
This review is from: Far Cry 2 (PC) (Video Game)
I have to say I have been looking forward to this game for a long time. As a gamer I am very willing to spend money on games that appeal to me.

Now the "cancer" that is SecuRom has been introduced to the market I am very dissapointed. I do not want to pirate games and I refuse to support DRM's so my only option is to spend my money with companies that value their customers even though their games may not be as good. I feel like I am being treated like a criminal.

I reinstall my system on a quite regular basis, and I upgrade my PC components as much as I can. It is unacceptable that I would have to "beg" EA to reactivate a games I have paid for just because I had to reinstall my PC several times.

If I purchase a games I expect to be the owner. Gaming is my hoppy and I find it being increasingly curbed by an ideotic scam propagated by the likes of EA. I know many people who now refuse to buy games with DRM's. I hope the manufacturers will come to their senses and realise that they are going to lose their primary market.

2.0 out of 5 stars It's SOOoo boring, 8 Dec 2008
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Far Cry 2 (PC) (Video Game)
After playing this game now for over 2 weeks I'm bored with it.
It's great to watch grass burn, Gas canisters blow up and fly around the sky at first but after a while that gets just as samey as driving, (long Distances) reaching guard posts, hitting 'C', blasting everything in sight, jumping out of your jeep fixing it, moving on and doing it all over again.

Looks great but the gameplay is just repetitive. When you get a mission from the satelite masts they are always the same ("Take out a target of opportunity") every time.

Looking for diamonds is just dull. Having to take anti malaria pills is anoying and does not add to the game in any way.

Far Cry 1 was great fun this is not!!

1.0 out of 5 stars FARCRY2, 14 Mar 2009
This review is from: Far Cry 2 (PC) (Video Game)
Like many others, I bought this game in good faith only to find after installing it on a stand-alone pc that I was unable to play the game. It appears that you have to be hooked up to the web in order to activate the game. I never play on-line, in co-operatives, multiplayer etc and I very rarely if ever visit gaming sites due to past virus download problems. The actual activation warning is written on the back of the game case in such microscopic wording that an ant with a magnifying glass would struggle to read it. Like many other decent law abiding individuals, I pay the full price for my games and I don't expect to part with my money only to be left disappointed.

2.0 out of 5 stars Think again, you are propably better of without this game, 31 Oct 2008
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Far Cry 2 (PC) (Video Game)
First of all, this is a sad day for me. I had sworn never to buy a game that insults the paying customer with DRM crap, yet now I have one (curse you pre-ordering!!).

That aside, the game itself proved to be disappointing in many regards. I seriously don't know what the "umph" and "ooh" is about the graphics. My rig is top notch and runs with all the settings, yet I fail to be impressed. Do not get me wrong - it is good looking, but quite frankly, old Crysis looks better and is more immersive.

There are other immersion breakers for me as well, like how every single rusty car and the crappiest floating hydrofoil asking for an excuse to fall apart is equipped with GPS navigation. You're supposed to be pretty much nobody in the beginning, but yet everyone with any weapon will shoot you on sight like you would be Pol Pot or Hitler himself, and civilians will try to run you over with mad road rage, willing to die in a blazing explosion, crashing into a corge just running you over. Great.

Then, what's the deal with the map anyway? I thought we were going to get was spaces and freedom, but instead we got a map that is guaranteed not to exist anywhere in this planet. A maze of small canyons, barely wide enough to host the one lane road and some grass one both sides, with occasional wider areas which are without a fail all mission locations - them too just barely large enough to house the mission buildings etc.

Missions themselves are very repetitive and some are just plain idiotic. Turned out I was cursing out loud on some of them, I heard later...

Oh, and having guards on the roads respawn so that you have to kill them over and over again is infuriating. There's no "next day" or any such delay - you shoot your way through, notice you forgot something, turn right back, they're all there again. Whoever is responsible for this needs a whupping.

Don't get me started on guns, accuracy and realistic damage... Fortunately this aspect is normally a problem for majority - just for nuts like me.

Then my personal issue - the view angle. I wonder if I am the only one that thinks the angle of perception is too narrow and that the character seems to be too close to everything, such as doors (where the door knob is almost in your eyesocket when you open it). I am experiencing a dramatic difference between the field of perception I have walking down the street compared to the narrow vision of Far Cry 2, that makes me think I am not seeing properly all the time while I'm playing - VERY annoying.

Good stuff in the game are other characters, voice acting and definately the fire effect. Jamming guns is a nice touch which I liked personally - althou sometimes it was somewhat excessive. Map editor is a gem. These will nudge my rating for this game up to two stars. Perhaps modding community will make a better use of this game eventually. One can hope.

1.0 out of 5 stars pants, 22 Feb 2009
J. Stupart (London UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Far Cry 2 (PC) (Video Game)
ok, having loved the original and the Crysis games, I had high hopes for this. Which were dashed withing 30 minutes of playing the game. Yawn! doesn't even begin to describe it. If you are a fan of unstructured games like Oblivion 4 and Shadow of Chernobyl, you'll like this. But if you are looking for a superb, fast paced fps, you'll be (like me) extrememly disappointed. I am sure it has superb graphics etc. but that's not all I look for in a game. I need something to grab my attention and fast as I don't have much game playing time. I'd have left it on the shelf and saved myself £18 had I known what I was letting myself in for. Luckily Fear 2 is sitting also waiting to be played, so I can get into a decent fps.

‹ Previous | 1 2 330 | Next ›

Far Cry 2 (PC)
Far Cry 2 (PC) by Ubisoft (Windows XP)
Used & New from: £2.55