4.0 out of 5 stars Origin Revisited
Bit of a shock this one after just watching Justice League Unlimited. At the start I thought I was watching Samurai Jack. The animation takes a little getting used to, but as a comics fan I soon realised I had a gold nugget here.
Published on 1 Mar 2008 by C. A. Kilgour

3.0 out of 5 stars It started off so well...
Published 2 months ago by Theo

4.0 out of 5 stars Origin Revisited, 1 Mar 2008
C. A. Kilgour "McCulloch" (Edinburgh) - See all my reviews
The series is set in the mid Fifties at the start of the so-called Silver Age of comics where many of the characters of the Justice League began their careers, and was quite faithful to the comics of the era, with the origins of Green Lantern and J'onn J'onzz being well depicted. It also featured most other characters of that period, most notably for me Ace, from the yet to be formed Challengers of the Unknown, and scientist Ray Palmer as the future Atom.
I also liked the political background in which the story was set, and although not too impressed with the threat itself,there was enough going on and plenty of action for the film to be a satisfying experience.
I would recommend this to any fan of sixties comics. I can see no continuity with the newer series however.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Silver Age, 10 July 2009
Allan Benzies - See all my reviews
This is a great animated movie. I am a big DC comic fan but I haven't read the graphic novels of New Frontier but after watching this I will. Its a great homage to the 50's DC comics which is why the cover is so cheesy. We get to see Batman as he first looked in the comics and later adapt after Robin joins him. The story paints the main three heroes (Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman) as the iconic heroes they are. The stories follows the stories of The Green Lantern, Martian Man Hunter and the Flash. Each character has their own journey to travel but it all ties in at the end.
If you are a DC fan this is a must buy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Putting the fun back into funny books, 30 Dec 2009
M. Hobson (Sheffield, UK) - See all my reviews
I read the graphic novel on which this is based a couple of years ago, so I'm already a big fan of the story. Great pains have been taken by the animators to retain Darwyn Cooke's unique graphical style, which must have been very costly, but well worth it. If you're a DC comics fan who can remember those wacky 60's and 70's comics with that chequered black-and-white strip across the top, you'll know what the title of this review means. The main thing I remember is that these comics were fun, and that's what comes across in this movie. There are some serious, even sombre plot lines in there which do make the story more satisfying, but the overriding feeling is one of exhuberant optimism. More power to DC for acknowledging that you don't have to go "dark" to be entertaining.

3.0 out of 5 stars It started off so well..., 6 Oct 2014
Theo (Australia) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
DC's Animated offerings have long boasted universally high production values and a general level of finish that can only be described as superb. On a deeper level, however, the quality of their output has varied enormously. At its best, their material easily holds its own against even the most intelligent programming made for "grown up" TV. But there have also been rather disappointing efforts that, as much as it pains me to say so, really were just for kids.

This one starts off extremely well. The story is set in the mid 20th century, with cold war paranoia at its height. Even superheroes are not immune, and as a result we find ourselves entering into a complex and compelling world with real murkiness in its shadows. Conflicts simmer and seethe beneath the surface, threatening to erupt at any moment. Much is merely suggested or hinted at. I was especially impressed by how well the writers, actors, and animators were together able to create a sense of depth across such a wide array of characters.

The film is also remarkable for its departure from the canonical style of drawing first laid down by Bruce Timm in Batman: The Animated Series. In its place we encounter a visual language that is very clearly intended to pay homage to the commercial art and architecture, and most especially the comic books, of the era in which The New Frontier itself is set. True, some of the Googie we find in the Las Vegas scenes has probably been misplaced by about a decade. But seriously, who cares? When something works as well as this does, I think we can forgive such minor acts of artistic license. As much as I admire that "canonical" style I mentioned earlier, what this film brought us was an amazing creation in its own right. So for quite a while I found it an extremely impressive piece of work. Up until about two thirds of the way through, I really thought it was going to be one of the great ones.

Unfortunately...

At a certain point the writers lost their way. I don't know whether they just plain lost their nerve, or if they truly did not know how to meaningfully resolve the conflicts they'd set in motion. Perhaps they just didn't have the stones of Alan Moore. But however you might choose to explain it, let's just say that at a certain point things got real simple and stayed that way.

A profound disappointment.

Theo.

5.0 out of 5 stars Favourite JLA Animation EVER!, 4 May 2014
Definitely not your typical "Current Look" at JLA but a brilliant "Throwback Look" from the 50's early 60's and I absolutely love it! The spectre of McCarthyism shines a surprising relevance on todays "Spy on the people" culture and the fears and divisions it can cause ... The "We the people can win when we stand together ..." may seem a little cheesy to todays audience but to quote Agent Coulson, "With everything that's happening, the things that are about to come to light, people might just need a little old-fashioned."

5.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable and constructed story., 29 May 2014
Excellent story-telling. A very well constructed story having all the various DC characters together. Great to see the heroes portrayed with all their weaknesses as well as their strengths.

1.0 out of 5 stars just...no, 13 April 2014
i may be a little young or it might just be my own preferences, but i could not stop thinking "dear god, when will it end?". true i prefer the darker more apocalyptic versions, but i think that if you prefer the older versions then watch/read those versions,if you like the story-line of 'The Dark Knight Returns' (1&2) then i doubt this will be for you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good, 3 Sep 2013
A great story set in the early days of the Justice league, the animation gives it a different look to usual?

5.0 out of 5 stars Justice League New frontier, 23 Dec 2012
Arrived promptly bought for christmas so we haven't opened it yet but looks good what more can I say great.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for younger viewers, 30 Aug 2008
Set in the middle of McCarthy's 'red scare', with a mysterious (and mostly unseen) force as the main villain/macguffin this is aimed at baby boomers who read DC comics in the 50s & 60s, not today's JLU fans.

The actual story is a little slow, but the voice acting, characterization and (once you get used to it) retro-looking animation all add up to a great movie that's a warm bath of nostalgic fun for any comics fan born between (say) 1955 and 1965

Justice League: The New Frontier Special Edition [HD DVD] [2008] [US Import]