5.0 out of 5 stars It doesn't get much more portable than this.
I bought my Eee PC two weeks ago and I must say that so far, I am very pleased with it.

Simply put, the Eee is a normal laptop shrunk to a size just a bit larger than a standard DVD box. It has everything you would expect from a standard laptop, only smaller.

With that in mind, there are a few caveats if you intend to buy one:

1) The...
Published on 31 Mar 2008 by Jean-paul Kneip

3.0 out of 5 stars Can anyone else do any better?
Published on 4 Jan 2009 by Sam Getliffe

5.0 out of 5 stars It doesn't get much more portable than this., 31 Mar 2008
Jean-paul Kneip (Luxembourg) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Asus Eee (7 inch) Netbook 900MHz 512MB 4GB Linux (White) (Personal Computers)

With that in mind, there are a few caveats if you intend to buy one:

1) The keyboard is small. This is fine, if, like me, you have small and nimble fingers and can live with a few typos. If, on the other hand, you have fat fingers and like to type quickly and flawlessly, get a full-sized laptop.

2) The screen is equally very small at just 7 inches. If your eyesight is good and you can live with the 800 by 480 resolution, go for it. If you expect to use stuff like photoshop, again, go with a larger device.

3) The internal storage is very limited with just 4 gigabytes. You will have to buy an 8 or 16 gig SDHC card if you intend to install additional programs.

Provided you accept the Eee's limitations, you will find that you have an ultraportable laptop that does pretty much everything you could want from it. Surfing is obviously easy, the Wi-Fi is of good quality and picks up networks in places I didn't expect to get any. Also, the screen is just about the perfect size to watch streaming media like Youtube.

Mind you, when I say "ultraportable" I mean it. I carry my Eee in my coat pocket all the time. At less than a kilo, it will not weigh you down. Also, the battery life is adequate and can easily go up to three and a half hours with light use.

The operating system that is installed on the Eee, a modified Linux distribution is adequate. It is easy to use, but requires some getting used to if you want to go ahead and modify it or add your own programs. I would strongly recommend you install a trimmed-down Windows XP or another, more commonly used Linux distribution, such as Ubuntu. Asus has already released Eee PCs with Windows XP on them, you might want to wait for those to become available.

So you can surf with it, you can type on it, you can run pretty much every business software. But how about games? Because let's face it, gaming is a large part of the PC industry.

Well, you can run a lot of games on the Eee PC. Pretty much anything from 2005 or earlier should work, though some games will require tweaking due to the unusual screen resolution. I have personally tested Unreal Tournament 2003 and Warcraft III on it, and they run perfectly. That said, don't expect it to run recent graphic-intensive games well. It IS after all, a 900 Mhz Celeron with an integrated graphics solution. Also, bear in mind that gaming will usually require you to install Windows, as many games will refuse to run under Linux.

Accesories I recommend you get, if you want to go beyond the basic functions of the Eee PC are an 8 or 16 gigabyte SDHC card for additional storage, a memory upgrade to 1 gig and a USB 3G modem.

All in all, you will not find a better value for money laptop in the sub-notebook form factor anywhere, though, as usual, Amazon is hardly the cheapest seller in the world.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!!, 4 Jan 2008
H. Bye (UK) - See all my reviews
Got an Eee the other day and using it to write this review. The xandros operating system in easy mode is pretty and very easy to use, especially if you have not had any experience of linux before. I have had ubuntu for a few years and so it was easy to add more programs that I wanted, whereas someone without this experience might find it hard to do such operations.

The actual unit is really cute and feels really sturdy, especially the hinges. I mainly got this as I am a student and need something portable. When I saw an article about the Eee in micromart magazine I immediately wanted to have one.

One thing which I will say to people who haven't got one of these yet and are thinking of getting one, is that Asus are going to bring out a second generation model very soon so hold out to see what this is like and whether the price goes up a lot. They are adding xp to it, better wifi compatibility, and maybe a slightly bigger screen!

5.0 out of 5 stars A ultraportable for £220!!, 17 Dec 2007
R. C. Hegarty "Rob" (UK) - See all my reviews
This little laptop is great, comes with the Xandros operating system including OpenOffice a MS office alternative that is full compatible with Microsoft Office documents. The default operating system is very functional and has a simple interface, this can be altered to offer a more windows like experience, or a different OS can be installed (I'm running Ubuntu).

The wireless card has drivers that support monitor and promiscuous mode, wireshark etc work out of the box using apt-get making this a great pentesting platform if thats your thing.

The battery lasts well and the device is small but the keyboard is big enough to touch type on.

If you need anymore info checkout eeeusers web forum.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great machine for the price, 15 Jan 2008
Lyndon Drake (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This laptop is brilliant for its price, as long as you stick to running Linux on it. It is easily fast enough to do the web browsing, email and office application stuff it's designed for, and is quiet and robust as well.

3.0 out of 5 stars Can anyone else do any better?, 4 Jan 2009
This laptop isn't any ordinary laptop. It is really small. It will fit into any bag, and it weighs less than a kilo. Linux works quite well on this. It is really reliable and of reasonable speed. It never seems to break down. If it does, it has a task manager with a button which allows you to 'kill' programs without any trouble at all (now there's something for windows to think about!). It uses a lot of freeware, such as Pigin messenger (which is extremely simple- much better than normal MSN), open office (which is extremely quick and simple to use), and it even has built in Skype. There are plenty of other pieces of software you can download via a menu on the eee pc. But, I regret to say, you cannot install any other software other than those on the menu. If you want to be able to use audacity or other downloadable software, this simply isn't possible on the eee pc, which is a shame. It does, though, have a built in wireless card, meaning you won't need a device to be able to access a wireless network, which makes this even more portable.

The keys are a bit small, and sometimes do not respond, but you can get used to this, and eventually, it becomes easy to use. The keypad and mousepad are the same, they have to warm up a bit. It doesn't have a lot of memory at all- mine has 512MB, which isn't too good, but this is sorted by it's 3 USB ports and memory card reader. A built in memory card reader is quite unusual for a pc, and it is great there is one. It means you can easily expand it's memory. Among other features, it has a webcam and a built in microphone, except my sound recorder on the eee pc has broken. The battery doesn't last very long if you're on the internet- so it's best to use the adaptor. I also found that the adaptor has a european interchangeable plug as well as the UK one- you can use this thing anywhere.

I have to say that I prefer the white version of it, as it looks a bit like a mini macbook. The casing can crack, as I discovered (and it recieved no rough treatment), but the design is nice.

In the box there is a foam portable case for the eee pc, which is easily broke, revealing the foam underneath. After a long use, it can get extremely hot, and there is a moderate hum which can get irritating. There is no CD drive (which is to be expected), but you can get cheap external drives for it.

Overall, then, for the price it is great, but as a home PC, it isn't great. It's fine for work (and school), but is best for the internet. I'd rather buy the Windows version for a bit more money, personally.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 24 April 2008
Stu M (Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought my eee on a whim after seeing a work colleague with one. Since buying it I've not looked back - for the price, they're amazing.

Fully functioning PC, clear screen, fine to type (I'm on one now).

I had been considering getting my PDA repaired, as I used it pretty much all the time. But the move from touchscreen-stylus to proper keyboard is amazing. They're just a tad bigger than a filofax, so to use it as a personal organiser is obvious. And this from something marketed as a toy!

I must say I've tweaked it since buying it; XP on it, Office, some games, hacks (there's a very good user community at eeeuser.com) - all makes for a great computer at a very good price.

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 star gem, 20 Nov 2008
R de Bulat (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I have just bought this machine when there are several other models on the market, but this is now the cheapest and I got it for £149.00. I was impressed immediately with the way it functions and the speed at which it starts up. It works well, bearing in mind that it is not windows, but this is a plus for me: I wanted a small and lean, basic computer that is really portable. This is and the operating systems and bundle of applications are easy to use, if very slightly different from MS Office applications. I use PC's, Mac's and Linux and open office is becoming my preferred choice much of the time, lately. The best part of it is portability and functionality: it works well and speedily, but I don't expect bells and whistles - I don't want them. This easily fits in a brief case or an overcoat pocket, so you can take it anywhere. I had no trouble connecting to the internet and to email, but I haven't tested it in a lot of locations to see if it works as well as airport extreme on Mac's. This will be a key test, but I don't see why it won't work providing there is a network nearby - it will certainly pick it up. In any case, there are internet anywhere dongles around, although they come at a price. Open Office 2.0 is installed, which works well; it's not the latest version, but I couldn't tell what the difference might be. A great little machine. Use USB drives to move files from one computer to another.

4.0 out of 5 stars How now?, 8 Aug 2010
Gavin Wilson - See all my reviews
The Eee was, and to some extent still is, a wonderful device. It is light and much smaller than most devices that today claim to be a 'netbook'. The Linux version boots up so quickly, that it puts Microsoft to shame. It is very chea.

But, a couple of years on, there are some problems.

For a start, there's the limited page width. To see the right-hand side of any Firefox page, you have to move the on-screen slider across. To connect to any secured Wi-fi modem, you have to key in the access code every time, unless you have switched across to the advanced mode of the operating system. Both of these limitations cast a bit of a downer on a machine that is primarily for connecting to the Web.

Installing new software is not at all user-friendly compared to Windows. Even upgrading a software version requires you to go out to the Internet to look for help to find the precise statements you need to use. And most users will now be in that boat, because there's a new version of Firefox out there, and every time you use the new Windows Live Hotmail you get a warning that you need to upgrade your browser. If you don't, Hotmail misbehaves.

I have both the Linux and XP versions of the 701, as well as a Linux version of the 1000H. I would NOT recommend putting XP on the 701. It runs like a dog. Each Wednesday is particularly bad, assuming Microsoft has been following its 'Patch Tuesday' policy and releasing all sorts of mandatory XP updates. 512MB is not sufficient for XP these days. With this processor, you cannot really do two jobs concurrently on XP.

Do not get me wrong. The 701 was the first product I bought from Asus, and I think they build great products. I can't wait for their tablet Eee. The Linux-based 701 could have destroyed much of Microsoft's laptop business, but it was let down by either Asus's choice of Linux or the Linux community. I don't know enough about Linux to say. If there is a Linux which enables you to upgrade and install software with the push-button ease of Windows, that is what is needed for the Eee.

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware - not as reliable as you might think, 4 Mar 2008
D. Brady (Ulverston, Cumbria United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
For the first week I thought it was fabulous - until the touchpad stopped responding and I have had to return it - sadly.

I see I am not alone - try Googling 'asus eee touchpad problem' to get the the flavour.

If they sort the problem out I would really consider it again - it was as good as the other reviewers say - when it is working!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little machine!!!, 23 Jan 2008
I love my eeepc its great as a second computer purely for use when I am travelling. It is light and dinky and easy to use.
My advice to anyone buying this computer is Linux has problems connecting to a lot of wireless networks, I installed XP and then changed settings for windows XP to control the wireless, it works perfectly now.
Also if you do decide to install XP make sure you go to asus com website and all the drivers you need for the eeepc with XP are there, it take a while to set it all up but was so worth it at the end. I have also just bought a blue tooth dongle, i could not find a Linux compatiable dongle for bluetooth hence me deciding to change the system to XP.
That is its biggest flaw, no bluetooth.